Supplier Evaluations of a wide range of suppliers and different products

S

sosobigman

Hy everyone,
I work in a automotive dedicated company, certified to ISO/TS 16949. i'm from the purchasing side, in charge of suppliers relations/development.
We have a wide range of supplier like all the other companies have, but my concern is related to the aspect of suppliers evaluation & monitoring. we evaluate monthly over 300 supplier, from those who supply raw materials, components delivery, chemicals, and different services providers.
I've have inherited the list and my attribution, but now i can feel the stress.
I've split the supplier into 3 categories: A, B, C, and they are all included on my company's "List of accepted supplier".
the question that I can't find any answer to it, on the internet and in the books, do I have to evaluate all my suppliers?
Ok, I understand that I need to take care to work with those at least ISO 9001 certified, but the monitoring in every month for almost 300 suppliers is a little overwhelming.
I hope that you can understand my view and hope to receive a proper answer from you guys.
Thank you!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
L

lk2012

Re: Suppliers evaluation

Hi,
the TS standard doesn't give you a specific wording for this but you could always use the clause of monitoring effectiveness of processes.

I work for a Tier2 Automotive and we get scorecards from our customers. They can be issued monthly or quarterly or every 6 months, whichever suits you.
the scorecard usually features scores (this can be a percentage or Yes/No or points) on areas like:
Quality (PPM, scores for complaints, responsiveness, documentation performance)
Delivery (on time performance, documentation performance)

some customers also include a 'commercial' bit where they cover things like CSR (customer-specific requirements) acceptance, if you have a valid contract, etc.

Hope this has given you some inspiration for your evaluation.
Lil

S

sosobigman

Thank you for your answer, but still not completely satisfied.
We evaluate our supplier on a monthly basis based, after delivery, based on two main criteria (Quality 60% & Logistics 40%) and according to our procedure we will send the scorecard at every 3 months, in order to inform our supplier about their status.
The problem is that the "List of accepted supplier" is a living document continuous changing, and in order to be OK during an audit it has been decided that all suppliers that appear in the list must have this monthly evaluation (from 3 departments: Quality, Logistics, Purchasing - Suppliers Relations). Even-though we have suppliers that have activity in 1 month in the previous year, even-though they supply air/water/chemicals analysis - they are all evaluated.
I'm not perfectly convinced that this is the way the list should be treated. I mean, Ok, this is the list of all the suppliers we work with (minimum ISO 9001) and this is the list of the supplier we evaluate.
Sorry for the long post.

L

lk2012

Hi,
glad to see you're already doing your evaluation. Your scoring system seems very good.

To make the supplier evaluation system more effective for your company, you may consider scoring only suppliers who have a direct impact on the quality of your product. That means you don't have to worry about the cleaners and you can really concentrate on the important ones.

hope this helps
Lil

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator

Thank you for your answer, but still not completely satisfied.
We evaluate our supplier on a monthly basis based, after delivery, based on two main criteria (Quality 60% & Logistics 40%) and according to our procedure we will send the scorecard at every 3 months, in order to inform our supplier about their status.
The problem is that the "List of accepted supplier" is a living document continuous changing, and in order to be OK during an audit it has been decided that all suppliers that appear in the list must have this monthly evaluation (from 3 departments: Quality, Logistics, Purchasing - Suppliers Relations). Even-though we have suppliers that have activity in 1 month in the previous year, even-though they supply air/water/chemicals analysis - they are all evaluated.
I'm not perfectly convinced that this is the way the list should be treated. I mean, Ok, this is the list of all the suppliers we work with (minimum ISO 9001) and this is the list of the supplier we evaluate.
Sorry for the long post.
sosobigman,

Risk assessment means you'll apply more stringent selection/reselection criteria to your suppliers along the following lines:

A. Critical to the success of your customers and your organization - supplies form part of your sold products.

B. Likely to affect the quality of your services or products.

C. Unlikely to affect the quality of your services and products.

You'll also vary the amount of "help" according to supplier performance.

Engage design, purchasing and manufacturing in assessing the opportunities and risks related to your chosen suppliers and in determining the objectives, frequency, scope and depth of supplier assessments.

Such assessments can also help fulfill your organization's business strategy.

John

S

sosobigman

Another problem that I have is with my colleagues from IT. They created a different juridical entity from the mother company, they have their offices right next to us, they share the same location with us, but I can`t register them into our "Suppliers list" because they are not ISO 9001 certified.
This week we are having our ISO 9001 and ISO/TS 16949 re certification audit, tomorrow is the last day, on TS and Tuesday we had ISO 9001.
The auditor asked me who is in charge of our computer/network/server/IT stuff maintenance, and I`ve reply that my colleagues from IT department, but she figured it out that they are a different company (they took the company`s name and added an "IT" to theirs) and asked to see our list of suppliers. I`ve told her (the auditor was a lady) that since they no longer have ISO 9001 certification they can`t be on our list - but she said they could be (we have a service contract with them, and environmental agreement signed, etc). I know ISO 9001 is not that strict but i don't how to proceed with the TS audit, which is tomorrow.
Should they appear or should they not?
And do they have to be evaluated (according to TS)? I consider they can't since they don`t posses a certificate.
Big dilemma.

S

sosobigman

Our suppliers are split into 3 categories:
A - imposed suppliers by our customers, suppliers that supply products and services that affect the final product delivered to our customers
B - suppliers that supply products and services that do not affect the final product ....
C- services providers (garbage collectors, transport services, etc.)

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
sosobigman,

Does your IT services supplier manage its services in accordance with a management system that conforms to ISO 9001 (or ISO 20000)?

If not, do you have a commitment and plan from their top management to that effect?

What does your IT Service Spec require?

Demonstrate that your organization has control of this situation.

Until then issue a SCAR requiring their corrective action to conform to your organization's requirements.

John

Last edited:
S

sosobigman

sosobigman,

Does your IT services supplier manage its services in accordance with a management system that conforms to ISO 9001 (or ISO 20000)?

If not, do you have a commitment and plan from their top management to that effect?

What does your IT Service Spec require?

Demonstrate that your organization has control of this situation.

Until then issue a SCAR requiring their corrective action to conform to your organization's requirements.

John
Hy John, thanks for your answers.
Our IT guys had a ISO 9001 certification, at one time, when they were also developing software to be sold, but they didn't recertificate, and they also stopped creating softs for external customers. At the moment even though they are a company, they act as an internal department for us, they develop software for us and comply to our management requests.
Their top management is represented by the IT manager, and as I was speaking to him last week (I`ve tried to conduct an internal audit, based on VDA 6.3, on them, the result would have been disastrous). They say that when people call them they help, and deal with the situation, they don't create any logs of operations/maintenance and so on. They are IT. :notme:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Vendor (Supplier) Evaluations and Reports Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
J Is MS Outlook a sufficient reminder to perform yearly supplier evaluations? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
M Simplifying Supplier Evaluations for hundreds of Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
R Supplier Evaluations - Merits and Demerits Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
D Nominated Supplier (long standing relationship with the company) Evaluations Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
M Supplier Evaluations - Handling suppliers (vendors) with Low Scores. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 9
S Supplier Re-evaluations - Purchasing Process - Clause 7.4.1 Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 9
R How Supplier Evaluations work - ISO 9001 7.4.1 "Records of the results of evaluations ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
M Supplier Evaluations of Customer Selected Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 13
J Service Supplier Evaluations - Criteria for evaluation and control of registrars Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
L Supplier within the Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Supplier Quality - How to classify a supplier level Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
F Supplier Quality Assurance Job Openings - 8/2020 Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
P Understanding DFMEA and PFMEA - Supplier Related IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
S Can assembly manufacturing sub-supplier be certified IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M How Supplier Capacity check is done by competitors Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
C One Time Service Supplier - Temperature and Humidity Testing Service ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Supplier Audits - Stop Wasting Everyone's Time! General Auditing Discussions 15
G Supplier management when the supplier is your headquarter IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
V Supplier wants to perform pre-qualifications prior to every run instead of locking in parameters. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
D Class 3 Device - Change of supplier of material Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
D List A IVD - Change to material supplier EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J Minimum Supplier Certifications for Food Supplements Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
R Supplier/Vendor Surveys (360) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
was named killer AS9100 Supplier Approval Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
B AS9100 8.4.1 Supplier Selection/Evaluation criteria and reevaluations AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
J Sub-supplier change from manual to automated process - same specs - Report to FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
M Supplier Audit Report - Template for second party audit wanted Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
T Difference between a subcontractor and a supplier ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
Ed Panek Corona Virus impact on Supplier Audits and Received Parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
NDesouza Verification of Supplier RCCAs Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
K Supply Agreement Regarding MDR 2017/745 - Manufacturer-supplier cooperation Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
L How to deal with an ISO 13485 Supplier Audit nonconformance ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
P Supplier Audits in the wake of COVID-19 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
T Ideas for developing a Supplier Quality Management System, non automotive ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
F Is there such a thing as 'Critical supplier' status under the Dept. of Health (UK)? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
A MSA results differences - Supplier results vs. My results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
G Supplier flowdown verification of tests and revisions Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 0
B Supplier of design and manufacture process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
S Software for Supplier Charge back and internal PPM General Information Resources 2
R IATF/IAOB Red Supplier Pilot Program IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M Changing supplier of critical raw material (III class device) Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
S VW Supplier Product Safety Representative (PSB) upgrade to PSCR VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
S Process Map for Supplier Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
D Licensee as a Supplier on the ASL Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 10
R Definition Key Supplier - Definition of Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 7
V IATF 16949 8.4.1 Control of externally provided processes, products and services - Should the CB be on our Approved Supplier List? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
M Risk Classification For Supplier - Clinical Research Organisation (CRO) Supply Chain Security Management Systems 3
shimonv Rigid rules for handling supplier audit findings ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
G Supplier Checking With Gauge Pin Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 2