Supplier Laboratory Requirements 4.10.6

L

Linda Jurasin

4.10.6 Supplier Laboratory Requirements

I need some help in interpreting this section of QS9000 3rd edition (including Tooling & Equipment Supplement). I am having difficulty with this entire section but specifically in two areas. In 4.10.6.1, does it mean that laboratories must be QS9000 or ISO registered? In 4.10.6.2 laboratory personnel, please interpret "appropriate". I reviewed 4.1.2.2 but still need clarification. I appreciate any and all help in this matter.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Note for 4.10.6 states 4.10.6 "...applies to supplier in-house laboratory facilities...." which all these paragraphs - 4.10.6.1, 4.10.6.2, etc. through 4.10.6.7.

From this the lab is essentially part of the scope of the supplier (your company) registration. No - the lab is not independently registered to QS.

As far as 'appropriate' goes in 4.10.6.2, that is really up to you to decide. Someone with formal education in calibration systems and related would qualify as well as someone with 10 years in the field. What they want to ensure is that, like in every other (almost) position in a company, people in a position are trained or in some way knowledgeable about what they are doing (read qualified).

The note with 4.10.6.2 is a bit much requiring theoretical experience, but I believe that would well be covered by an MSA course and a Metrology course (device physics at a low level). I have an integrated course which addresses both MSA and Metrology in general, by the way.

Don't let this stuff get you excited. Read every word and think about them. When I see appropriate, I expect an auditor to ask me to explain what and how so.

B

Bryon Simmons

I agree with Marc. At this point, I am writing the Level 2 Documentation to address these new requirements. At first, I panicked, but then I got to reading them, and they dont seem to require any more than what we are already doing, except now, we have to define it a bit better. Dont let this scare you. As far as having appropriate personnel, if you e doing any internal things, the personnel you currently have doing them, are very likely "appropriate", just need to document their training, etc...:show that they are appropriate.

Hope this helps.

Bryon

R

rdparris

Clarification. Our lab does meet all definitions for applicability. However, we calibrate all gages, measuring equip, etc in-house.

The interpretations of third edition lead me to believe for calibration, you must use a "qualified" in house lab. (this bumps you from 4.11 to 4.10 at this point)

4.10.6 is misleading. It consists of ISO/IEC guide 25 issues. It makes you think that at a minimum in order to do calibrations on site as a qualified lab, you must be compliant with ISO guide 25. But again, that's wrong. The note says compliance with guide 25 doesn't meet all the requirements. Go to the explanations at AIAG and you find that they say you don't need to be compliant with ISO guide 25.

So what gives? ISO guide 25 compliance according to the note in QS doesn't cover all QS requirements for a qualified lab.....but ISO guide compliance is not required.

Bottom line. Are we qualified to calibrate our own instruments and gages...or not? And would compliance with guide 25 reduce compliance issues?

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Yes - you can calibrate them in-house. With the standard cavats - traceability to high level standards, calibration procedures, records of calibration (includes before & after readings), etc., etc.

B

Bryon C Simmons

Hi.

Actually, now, as far as calibration certs. go..you need only have any out of spec readings as received for calibration, and also a statement of conformance to specification after calibration, ( 4.11.3) Yes, you can calibrate in-house..just make sure the scope of your laboratory(4.11.2.b.1) includes calibration, and include the "masters" that you use to calibrate, (i.e. gage blocks, etc.) are included in the scope (4.11.2.b.1) See the glossary of QS-9000 for things to be included in the scope of the laboratory. All of your "masters" need to have NIST (or equivalent) traceability.

Hope this helps.

Bryon

M
I have been asked to champion Supplier Laboratory Requirements for my company. I understand the requirement i just need a sample to get started, are there any out there? We manufacture flat panel displays for the automotive and aviation industries.
Thanks for any help.

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by MaeB (edited 22 November 1999).]

D
If you post your e-mail, I can send you a copy of our procedure. We took a hit during assessment for the scope. It is a tough element. I would be glad to help.

D

dewie

Dawn
Could you please send me one of the copy? The document I plan to do for this requirement is to set a QM for laboratory. It's a bit tough for me. I would like to see the other way to reach the requirement.

My email address is [email protected]

[This message has been edited by dewie (edited 22 November 1999).]

D

David Guffey

Here's mine, too. Please and thank you.

------------------
David A. Guffey, CQE, CQA, CQMgr
Director of Quality Assurance
Great Lakes Metal Stamping, Inc.
4607 Rambo Road
Bridgman MI 49106
616-465-4415
616-465-0805 (Fax)
[email protected]

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1.5.3.2 - External Laboratory Sub-Supplier Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Supplier Laboratory Requirements - 4.10.6 - Requirements for an In-House Laboratory QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 4
M Do we really need to meet the Supplier Laboratory Requirements (4.10.6)? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
L What is defined as a Laboratory? Supplier Laboratory Requirements - QS-9000 4.10.6 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
P 4.10.6 Supplier laboratory requirements - applicability QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 11
M Is Notification of the Test Laboratory always necessary for Supplier Changes? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 12
S Supplier Laboratory Assessments General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M QS-9000 Section 4.10.6 Supplier Laboratory Requirement QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 4
Marc 4.10.6 - Calibration services are conducted by a supplier's laboratory IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
G Dealing with non conformity caused by Supplier Components detected in the production line IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
G Supplier doesn't accept the complaints Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 19
K New supplier audit as per V3.1 by French Automotive OEM General Auditing Discussions 2
A ASL requirement when the supplier is certified for ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Supplier Management ISO 13485: 2016- Which supplier needs to fill in a self assessment form? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Approved supplier list for R&D ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M SemaTech SSQA Standardized Supplier Quality Assessment - my favorite tool ever Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D Supplier Quality level category help - high level ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J Supplier Controlled Shipping (GM CS1) Condition Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
L Supplier within the Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Supplier Quality - How to classify a supplier level Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
P Understanding DFMEA and PFMEA - Supplier Related IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
S Can assembly manufacturing sub-supplier be certified IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M How Supplier Capacity check is done by competitors Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
C One Time Service Supplier - Temperature and Humidity Testing Service ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Supplier Audits - Stop Wasting Everyone's Time! General Auditing Discussions 15
G Supplier management when the supplier is your headquarter IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
V Supplier wants to perform pre-qualifications prior to every run instead of locking in parameters. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
D Class 3 Device - Change of supplier of material Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
D List A IVD - Change to material supplier EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J Minimum Supplier Certifications for Food Supplements Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
R Supplier/Vendor Surveys (360) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
was named killer AS9100 Supplier Approval Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
B AS9100 8.4.1 Supplier Selection/Evaluation criteria and reevaluations AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
J Sub-supplier change from manual to automated process - same specs - Report to FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
M Supplier Audit Report - Template for second party audit wanted Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
T Difference between a subcontractor and a supplier ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
Ed Panek Corona Virus impact on Supplier Audits and Received Parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
NDesouza Verification of Supplier RCCAs Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
K Supply Agreement Regarding MDR 2017/745 - Manufacturer-supplier cooperation Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
L How to deal with an ISO 13485 Supplier Audit nonconformance ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
P Supplier Audits in the wake of COVID-19 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
T Ideas for developing a Supplier Quality Management System, non automotive ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
B Vendor (Supplier) Evaluations and Reports Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
F Is there such a thing as 'Critical supplier' status under the Dept. of Health (UK)? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
A MSA results differences - Supplier results vs. My results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
G Supplier flowdown verification of tests and revisions Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 0
B Supplier of design and manufacture process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
S Software for Supplier Charge back and internal PPM General Information Resources 2
R IATF/IAOB Red Supplier Pilot Program IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M Changing supplier of critical raw material (III class device) Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1