SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Supplier Performance Issue - Seeking Advice

P

piney

We have a supplier performance issue with one of our suppliers of hydraulic leveling devices. There are two purchase orders outstanding with this supplier, the first being overdue by almost 4 months.

The supplier has been contacted numerous times to provide an updated status on the orders. When we have called them they indicate that the only person that can provide the information is the owner/manager. When we call he is conveniently out of the office. I find it hard to believe that he is away every time he has been called. It almost seems that he is avoiding us. I left a message with the receptionist yesterday afternoon for the owner to get back to us with status. I am not optimistic he will return the call.

Also I find it hard to believe that no one else can provide the status. They must have a production schedule they are following. They should be able to tell us what percentage completion there is of each item.

I am wondering if it would be beneficial for someone from our quality department to visit their facilities to audit the progress on the order to physically see the work completed, work in progress, etc. on these orders.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
piney said:
We have a supplier performance issue with one of our suppliers of hydraulic leveling devices. There are two purchase orders outstanding with this supplier, the first being overdue by almost 4 months.

The supplier has been contacted numerous times to provide an updated status on the orders. When we have called them they indicate that the only person that can provide the information is the owner/manager. When we call he is conveniently out of the office. I find it hard to believe that he is away every time he has been called. It almost seems that he is avoiding us. I left a message with the receptionist yesterday afternoon for the owner to get back to us with status. I am not optimistic he will return the call.

Also I find it hard to believe that no one else can provide the status. They must have a production schedule they are following. They should be able to tell us what percentage completion there is of each item.

I am wondering if it would be beneficial for someone from our quality department to visit their facilities to audit the progress on the order to physically see the work completed, work in progress, etc. on these orders.

It seems clear that the supplier doesn't want your business. They're probably waiting for you to get disgusted and cancel the orders, and they're probably amazed that at four months past the due date for the first order, and a similar period of stonewalling, you haven't done so already. If you can buy these things from someone else, you should do so, but only after identifying the reason(s) that this supplier doesn't like you.
Assuming that I'm wrong, the supplier might be having some sort of financial difficulties, or your order might be being pushed back by orders the supplier considers more desireable. If the supplier accepted a purchase order and you feel you have some leverage, you can (a) threaten to cancel the order unless you see some action and (b) hint that you might be inclined to get lawyers involved, and mention the phrase specific performance.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
piney said:

I don't want to alarm you, but there is something terribly wrong.

You should have been out there in person the second week you got a stall.

I once got one of these runarounds, only to learn on the 15th day when I showed up at the front door that the owner had died of an asthma attack 3 weeks earlier and his widow was keeping the news quiet while she systematically looted the company to beat out taxes and creditors. It was VERY messy.

BEFORE you go, make sure you have a backup supplier in hand. You may have to call the backup from the parking lot of the tardy supplier if you find sheriff's sale signs all over the place.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
There are many things you could have done before the situation reached this stage, but that's scolding and you don't need to hear that now. Get this problem resolved and we'll talk later about how to prevent it in the future.

piney said:
It would seem that a meeting of some kind is necessary. An audit? Maybe, provided there is anything to audit...

You are in trouble, and need to go there and find out what the problem is. Audit or not is beside the point, just go. Besides, What is there to audit if they are not working on your product?

P.s. How do you survive a four month delay??? :mg:

/Claes

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
piney said:
We have a supplier performance issue with one of our suppliers of hydraulic leveling devices...

I agree with the other replies. This is not a quality issue. This is a business disruption that needs to be addressed at the highest level. If they ignore your phone calls, they won't have any respect for a "supplier audit."

C

Cordon - 2007

hjilling said:
I agree with the other replies. This is not a quality issue. This is a business disruption that needs to be addressed at the highest level. If they ignore your phone calls, they won't have any respect for a "supplier audit."
I would be wary of the incoming parts (if they do ship); the delay may be due to quality issues. I think we have all ran into this before, late shipments = poor quality.Of course this would not be true all the time but I always get nervous when suppliers are late on shipments.

:2cents:

J

Joe Cruse

hjilling said:

I agree with this also. A threat of coming to do a "quality audit" is likely useless. Your company's top management will have to deal with this. Your company needs someone from top brass to go and see the facility, not a quality auditor. Only when the "Money" starts talking will anything get resolved (or the lawyers), and maybe not even then. I'd for sure want a backup supplier. That being said, since you are ISO, you will have to document this in your system, since you have a VERY nonconforming supplier issue.

Good luck.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Looking for a Supplier Evaluation template for Environmental Performance Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
B Measuring Supplier Quality Performance Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 10
I Monitoring Supplier Performance when our Supplier is also our Customer Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
S Trading Company - Evaluating Supplier Performance and Approved Supplier List ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
J Aviation Distributor Supplier Performance Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
K Supplier Performance and Supplier Rating Process - AS9100 Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
H XLS file for Supplier Monthly Performance Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
H Supplier Monthly Performance Score Card - Please Review Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
C Supplier Performance Index (Spi) - Supplier Rating Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 10
P Calibration Vendor (Supplier) Performance and Expectations General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
S Acceptable Supplier Scorecard Performance Indicators Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
K Supplier Performance - Recording Supplier Performance for long term trend reporting ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S Supplier Performance of "non-key" Supplier ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
A Procedure for Supplier Selection and Performance Evaluation - Comprehensive Example Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
J When to start counting supplier PPM? Supplier Performance Metrics Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
N Seeking supply chain diagram & supplier quality performance procedure Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
Q Phase 2 Audit - OFI for Supplier Performance and Monitoring IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J Need Advice on Supplier Performance Rating System Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 9
P Supplier Performance Measurement PPM (parts per million)? Benchmarking 10
T New Supplier Evaluated on Past Performance? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 9
M Managing & monitoring the performance of a large supplier base with small headcount. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
S Staff Augmentation Vendor (Supplier) - Performance Evaluation (rating & index) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 9
J Supplier Performance Scorecard sample format or template needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
F What are the Performance Indicators for Supplier Quality Management Department Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
L Boeing Video "Supplier Performance Measurement in BEST" - Supplier Expectations Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
P Definition Dock-to-Stock Process based on Historical Quality Performance of a Part and Supplier Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 8
M Supplier performance evaluation Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
F Review my Supplier Performance Measure and Rating System Procedure Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
M Dock to Stock system used as a supplier performance review method Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
R How can one know if a supplier with good performance is continuously improving? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
C Automotive OEM Score Card Templates - Supplier performance measurement tool Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 18
W Supplier monitoring / Customer satisfaction - Different performance indicators IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
S Supplier Performance Improvement, Inspection Process Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
Q Supplier Defects Per Million Metric - Best way to depict monthly supplier performance Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
Marc TS 16949 7.4.3.2 - Supplier Performance Monitoring Requirements - What are they? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
T Freight Carriers - Disqualify a customer defined supplier with poor performance? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
D Supplier Quality Management including Supplier performance evaluation methods Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
F How can we track the delivery performance of each supplier? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 15
D Supplier performance/100%on time del. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
Marc Supplier Delivery Performance Monitoring - Critical Path Scheduling - TE - 4.15.6 Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
K Why does load cell supplier requires force verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Question and advice for a supplier self audit questionnaire ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Special IATF audit of sub-supplier IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
S IATF 16949 Supplier selection criteria 8.4.1.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Supplier approved list - Notified body, regulatory body Supply Chain Security Management Systems 4
N Making improvements in supplier relationship last? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
K Supplier Qualification for Engineering Consultant? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
M Supplier evaluation Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
briteme4 ASL - AS9100 / Supplier Survey Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
A System for Supplier Documents Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 7