SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Supplier Performance - Recording Supplier Performance for long term trend reporting

K

KAMay

Hi

I'm wondering how people record supplier performance for long term trend reporting...

We have a procedure for approving suppliers, a list of said suppliers and a non-conformance form for when something goes wrong, but I'm not sure of the best way to examine their performance for trends?

3 strikes you're out maybe :notme: ?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Supplier Performance

Hi

I'm wondering how people record supplier performance for long term trend reporting...

We have a procedure for approving suppliers, a list of said suppliers and a non-conformance form for when something goes wrong, but I'm not sure of the best way to examine their performance for trends?

When you gather supplier performance data over a longer time period, you can develop a simple run chart and observe trends. When you observe a deterioration in (for example) delivery performance, you could initiate corrective action. Firing a supplier should be an action of last resort.

Stijloor.

T

Ted Schmitt

Re: Supplier Performance

Hi

I monitor my suppliers by delivery time and quality problems.

Delivery : i demerit more the later they are in delivery.
Quality : I demerit more depending on the disposition of a Non conformance report.

If they are below a certain % they are out... between X% and Y% they must supply me with a detailed report on what is being done to resolve the problems (either delivery or quality related). If they are above 96% in 3 straight trimesters, they are waived of incoming inspection.

Hope this helped !

D

DrM2u

Re: Supplier Performance - Recording Supplier Performance for long term trend reporti

I take a slightly different approach to supplier quality. I do not 'ding' the supplier unless their performance affects my ability to meet customer's requirements. I could care less if they ship late or early, or if they ship bad products that they eventually replace. The only thing I care is if I am able to meet my commitments and am able to deliver a quality product on time as the customer specified. It is called 'customer-focused' quality management. The rest of the stuff is trivial, time and resource-consuming information and do not spend time on the details until I forsee a potential problem or experience a problem. So far it has worked great where ever I implemented this mentality. It freed people to focus on more important things. Just my oppinion ...

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Supplier Performance - Recording Supplier Performance for long term trend reporti

<snip>I could care less if they ship late or early, or if they ship bad products that they eventually replace. <snip>
Don't know about this....:mg:
Have you tried this in automotive supplier land? ;)
Shipping early or late? Have you ever heard about ASNs?

Stijloor.

Last edited:
D

DrM2u

Stijloor, I spent more than 1/2 of my work-years in automotive at many tiers, including one of the Big 3. I have seen most of the supplier performance monitoring systems in place and how the ASN ties to the metrics. I am not saying that I fully agree or disagree with these detailed and comprehensive systems. They have their place depending on the product and supplier base being managed. What I am saying is that a supplier performance system employed by GM for example might be an over-kill for a company with 20 employees. My simplistic approach works well even in the automotive industry, although some SQA's don't like it. Of course I like to come back to them with a quote to implement a system to meet their specific requirements (you want it, you pay for it) then they reconsider their position.

K

KAMay

So I'm thinking that I'll go with a graph based format too then - perhaps a different bar for late deliveries, non-conforming products, damaged goods, shortages and wrong products. And over time if they go past a certain 'line' we'll put them up for review?

Thanks guys :agree1:

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin

So I'm thinking that I'll go with a graph based format too then - perhaps a different bar for late deliveries, non-conforming products, damaged goods, shortages and wrong products. And over time if they go past a certain 'line' we'll put them up for review?

Thanks guys :agree1:
Did you go through our File List that should be handy to you ? :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Looking for a Supplier Evaluation template for Environmental Performance Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
B Measuring Supplier Quality Performance Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 10
I Monitoring Supplier Performance when our Supplier is also our Customer Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
S Trading Company - Evaluating Supplier Performance and Approved Supplier List ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
J Aviation Distributor Supplier Performance Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
K Supplier Performance and Supplier Rating Process - AS9100 Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
H XLS file for Supplier Monthly Performance Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
H Supplier Monthly Performance Score Card - Please Review Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
C Supplier Performance Index (Spi) - Supplier Rating Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 10
P Calibration Vendor (Supplier) Performance and Expectations General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
S Acceptable Supplier Scorecard Performance Indicators Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
S Supplier Performance of "non-key" Supplier ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
A Procedure for Supplier Selection and Performance Evaluation - Comprehensive Example Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
J When to start counting supplier PPM? Supplier Performance Metrics Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
N Seeking supply chain diagram & supplier quality performance procedure Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
Q Phase 2 Audit - OFI for Supplier Performance and Monitoring IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J Need Advice on Supplier Performance Rating System Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 9
P Supplier Performance Measurement PPM (parts per million)? Benchmarking 10
T New Supplier Evaluated on Past Performance? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 9
M Managing & monitoring the performance of a large supplier base with small headcount. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
S Staff Augmentation Vendor (Supplier) - Performance Evaluation (rating & index) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 9
J Supplier Performance Scorecard sample format or template needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
F What are the Performance Indicators for Supplier Quality Management Department Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
L Boeing Video "Supplier Performance Measurement in BEST" - Supplier Expectations Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
P Definition Dock-to-Stock Process based on Historical Quality Performance of a Part and Supplier Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 8
M Supplier performance evaluation Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
F Review my Supplier Performance Measure and Rating System Procedure Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
M Dock to Stock system used as a supplier performance review method Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
R How can one know if a supplier with good performance is continuously improving? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
C Automotive OEM Score Card Templates - Supplier performance measurement tool Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 18
P Supplier Performance Issue - Seeking Advice Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
W Supplier monitoring / Customer satisfaction - Different performance indicators IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
S Supplier Performance Improvement, Inspection Process Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
Q Supplier Defects Per Million Metric - Best way to depict monthly supplier performance Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
Marc TS 16949 7.4.3.2 - Supplier Performance Monitoring Requirements - What are they? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
T Freight Carriers - Disqualify a customer defined supplier with poor performance? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
D Supplier Quality Management including Supplier performance evaluation methods Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
F How can we track the delivery performance of each supplier? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 15
D Supplier performance/100%on time del. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
Marc Supplier Delivery Performance Monitoring - Critical Path Scheduling - TE - 4.15.6 Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
M Supplier approved list - Notified body, regulatory body Supply Chain Security Management Systems 4
N Making improvements in supplier relationship last? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
K Supplier Qualification for Engineering Consultant? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
M Supplier evaluation Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
briteme4 ASL - AS9100 / Supplier Survey Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
A System for Supplier Documents Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 0
T IMDS submission without supplier's input? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 0
J Supplier not responding to PPAP request APQP and PPAP 5
D Supplier audit Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
lanley liao Does all of the suppliers need to integrated into the supplier list qualified of the company? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2