Supplier PPAPs

EmilyJ

Starting to get Involved
Good morning! Wanted to double (triple, quadruple) check myself because we all know it's hard to prove a negative...

We are a metal stamping Tier 2 company and we mostly work with customer-designated suppliers. I know that in general it is best practice is to require an annual PPAP from our Tier 3 suppliers, but it's not something we have put into practice unless they are providing a component that goes into our final assembly. We have an IATF recertification coming up in a month or so, and our Quality Manager came to me yesterday because he suddenly got nervous that there was a requirement somewhere that we HAVE to get annual PPAPs from our suppliers. Yes, we have to manage our suppliers, even if they are customer-directed - but I've never seen anything that says we specifically have to have a PPAP from them every year.

Am I missing something somewhere that we might get cited for in our audit?

Pjservan

Involved In Discussions
No hard requirement as such in IATF. It will have to be something your customers require of you and/or that you require of your suppliers.

EmilyJ

Starting to get Involved
Thanks, all, appreciate the backup. I was pretty sure this was the case but having "recert anxiety" made me second guess myself.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Good morning! Wanted to double (triple, quadruple) check myself because we all know it's hard to prove a negative...

We are a metal stamping Tier 2 company and we mostly work with customer-designated suppliers. I know that in general it is best practice is to require an annual PPAP from our Tier 3 suppliers, but it's not something we have put into practice unless they are providing a component that goes into our final assembly. We have an IATF recertification coming up in a month or so, and our Quality Manager came to me yesterday because he suddenly got nervous that there was a requirement somewhere that we HAVE to get annual PPAPs from our suppliers. Yes, we have to manage our suppliers, even if they are customer-directed - but I've never seen anything that says we specifically have to have a PPAP from them every year.

Am I missing something somewhere that we might get cited for in our audit?
No requirement in IATF unless it is not a customer specific requirement. However, you shoud have in place a process for production part approval. Besides, you should have in place a process to manage changes.
Generally speaking, you should have in place a process for the new product introduction related to product design and process design. It could be ok project management approach, in automotive there is APQP where PPAP is a part, As per cascading , PPPA could be also applied to suppliers depending on the required levels.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Kindly saying Jim, it is in the IATF standard, if the CSR does require that. If the organization doesn't have a CSR that requires that, then this would be true.
There is no direct requirement in the standard. Obviously, CSRs must be honored, but that would be the case even if there were no standard.

Top Bottom