Supplier Quality level category help - high level

duff999

Involved In Discussions
Hi Folks

Wondering if anyone can provide insight at a high level for how to categorize supplier levels. Currently I am listing these as follows:

1. Level 1 suppliers provide a product that can be fully verified through receiving inspection, additional testing, or other methods. Level 1 suppliers are required to be maintained on the Approved Supplier List.
  2. Level 2 suppliers provide a service that cannot be fully verified upon receipt, such as calibration service, consultants, shipping companies or outside laboratory services.
  3. Level 3, Conditional suppliers are categorized as a Level 3 Supplier. Conditional suppliers are suppliers that are in the process of being approved or for suppliers that have not complied with purchase requirements and are being re-evaluated. Level 3 suppliers may be used to purchase goods for R&D purposes.

I would like to add more detail in these categories - such as identifying critical suppliers. Or should these categories be named something like....Critical Supplier, General Supplier, Conditional Supplier.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
Having recently trod in this territory myself, and having decided to dial it back and simplify it, I want to ask -

What requirements are influencing your thinking?
What benefit of this approach are you looking for?
What are your risks you are attempting to mitigate?

duff999

Involved In Discussions
Having recently trod in this territory myself, and having decided to dial it back and simplify it, I want to ask -

What requirements are influencing your thinking?
What benefit of this approach are you looking for?
What are your risks you are attempting to mitigate?
Thank you for your reply.

I am currently in the process of releasing our procurement procedure and have a section regarding supplier quality (ISO 13485) We do have a supplier quality module built into our QMS and I would like to classify certain levels based on what is supplied to us. I would like to leave some room for suppliers we purchase R&D material from (maybe a conditional supplier).

I guess I am having difficulty rating these suppliers to know what category they fit into.

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
Any categorization system will always have some overlaps - there will be some suppliers that will not fit perfectly into one category because they do a little of something in another category also.

As an example you could verify some calibration items if you chose to.

And conditional suppliers - that's fine for trying out a supplier, or R&D, but moving suppliers in and out of that category as they improve or err sounds like a chore.

Of course, you're in the medical field and I am not. Somebody who knows what they're talking about will be along shortly to offer a qualified opinion.

silentmonkey

Starting to get Involved
Perhaps you could build in some way to assess criticality of a supplier. For me, criticality is based on whether the performance of the supplier has an impact on the quality and safety of the end product. This would not be the same as your Supplier Level 1 because even though the supplier's performance might be poor, you fully verify the output and hence eliminate non-conformities anyway within your own QMS, and therefore protect your customer from the risk.

How would you categorise suppliers where the output cannot be fully verified and there is an impact on product quality/safety?

duff999

Involved In Discussions
Perhaps you could build in some way to assess criticality of a supplier. For me, criticality is based on whether the performance of the supplier has an impact on the quality and safety of the end product. This would not be the same as your Supplier Level 1 because even though the supplier's performance might be poor, you fully verify the output and hence eliminate non-conformities anyway within your own QMS, and therefore protect your customer from the risk.

How would you categorize suppliers where the output cannot be fully verified and there is an impact on product quality/safety?
For supplier that cannot be fully verified I would rely on the calibration certs for calibration services, or possibly the resume for consultants

Matt's Quality Handle

Starting to get Involved
From an automotive background, your level 2 suppliers aren't what we call "suppliers".

What we considered suppliers were companies that provided material that ended up in our finished goods and were managed by the Quality department. The caveat is that I've never worked with a company that made product with embedded software, so that's a wrinkle.

But service providers were managed separately, and could vary in criticality from manufacturing equipment service and calibration providers to inconsequential services like managing the vending machines and landscapers.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Supplier Quality - How to classify a supplier level Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
V Supplier Service Level Agreements (Supplier Quality Development) APQP and PPAP 2
M SemaTech SSQA Standardized Supplier Quality Assessment - my favorite tool ever Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
T Ideas for developing a Supplier Quality Management System, non automotive ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A Supplier Quality Standard vs Senior Management Direction Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
Ajit Basrur Quality Agreement with supplier covering medical devices and consumer requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Jen Kirley Moving on - I accepted an offer to be a Supplier Quality Engineer at GE Healthcare Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 42
Tagin Measuring supplier quality with small quantities Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
A Critical Supplier/Quality Agreement Procedure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
S Supplier Control - Supplier quality management certificates (ISO, etc) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J Support and guidance with supplier quality management system Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
GStough Have You Had to Write a NC Against a Quality Manual in a Supplier Audit? General Auditing Discussions 12
J IATF 16949 Cl. 8.4.2.3 - Supplier Quality Management System Development IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 59
P ASQ Certified Supplier Quality Professional is the certification worth it? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
T ISO 13485:2016 Clause 7.4.2 regarding Supplier Quality Agreements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
L Supplier Approval Process – Should the Quality Department be Excluded? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
S SQM (Supplier Quality Management) - Centralized or divided per Business Group Benchmarking 0
I Difference between ASQR (Aerospace Supplier Quality Requirements) and AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 20
K NPI (New Product Introduction) Quality Plan Outsourced Manufacturer/Supplier APQP and PPAP 3
B Measuring Supplier Quality Performance Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 10
R Can our Supplier's Quality Mgr. conduct Supplier Audit on behalf of manufacturer? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
S Supplier Quality with Prototyping Parts with no Part Number or Drawings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
S Can you help me on manpower planning for Supplier Quality Engineers ? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
V Quality Roadmap from Voice of the Customer way down to Supplier Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
G Supplier Quality Questionnaire - Asking who our customers are Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
D What's the future of supplier quality engineer for your worklife? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
F Supplier Quality Engineer Beginner - Potential Interview Questions Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
O Vendor (Supplier) Responsibility - Re: Quality Audits 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
L Does someone has experience with a Supplier "Quality Watch" Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
T World Class Supplier Quality Alert System CAR/SCAR By Email Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
J Quality Manager's role in Customer and Supplier Complaints Customer Complaints 10
J Implementing a Supplier Quality Portal Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
T Senior SQE (Supplier Quality Engineer) Specific Roles and Responsibilities Career and Occupation Discussions 5
P What is the last revision of Toyota SQAM (Supplier Quality Assurance Manual)? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
S SQE (Supplier Quality Engineer) Job Interview Questions Benchmarking 4
D Aftermarket Supplier Quality Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
T Recommended Books for SQE (Supplier Quality Engineering) Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 20
L Avoiding Recurrence of the Supplier?s Quality Problems Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
N Using a Vendor's (Supplier's) Quality System ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
optomist1 Definition Supplier Quality Assurance vs. Supplier Development vs. Field Quality Engineering Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
Q Vendor (Supplier) Quality Plan vs. Our QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
C Medical Device Supplier Quality Agreement example wanted Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
T Integration of Supplier Quality Assurance within Plant Engineering Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
S Supplier Quality Survey - Why are those surveys still sent out? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 13
B What a Notified Body expects to see in a Supplier/Quality Agreement ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
Q How to ensure quality on the supplier? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
Q How to Control the Supplier Quality? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Supplier Rating Form with Quality, Cost, Delivery wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
J Supplier Quality Management System (QMS) Audit - Formal Documented QMS does not exist ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
J Revised Honda Supplier Quality Manual dated 5/1/2011 Available Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0