Supplier Quality Rating - What to evaluate

sowmya

Involved - Posts
Experts,

We are in the process of releasing a supplier quality rating. Till now, we are just releasing the rejection PPM alone.

We are thinking to include the following things in the rating.

1. Incoming rejection PPM
2. Lot acceptance ratio
3. Response to corrective actions within response date
4. Repeated complaints
5. Issues in floor - Instances

Please advise your comments. Do anybody has this already?

Sowmya

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: supplier quality rating

The all look like good measure to me.

I particulary like measuring repeat rejections - that really indicates how and if their preventive actions are working.

In my situation more than 5 measure would bee too much to regularly track for all suppliers so make sure that 5 is good number for you.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

Experts,

We are in the process of releasing a supplier quality rating. Till now, we are just releasing the rejection PPM alone.

2. Lot acceptance ratio
4. Repeated complaints

Sowmya
What about money? What if supplier "A" has a comparatively better rating than supplier "B," but has cost your company more money than supplier "B"? None of the five categories you've listed are meaningful unless you have some idea of what poor supplier quality is costing you.

N

noboxwine

Experts,

2. Lot acceptance ratio
4. Repeated complaints

Sowmya
Those are good. I use the ones listed in ISO/TS 7.4.3.2. ;)

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Just my :2cents:, but those all look like measures in product quality, no? What about the service you get from this supplier? Even the speed in which they reply to your enquiries is part of their customer service. What about deliver (on-time)? Isn't that important? Or pricing? What if this customer supplies the very same thing as 3 others, but is always higher, or lower in cost? That is a big deal to your bottom line if this is a big ticket item and all other considerations are equal. You are absolutely right in being particular about the quality of goods, you should be. But don't get so tied up in it that you lose big bucks on the other facets.

sowmya

Involved - Posts

What about money? What if supplier "A" has a comparatively better rating than supplier "B," but has cost your company more money than supplier "B"? None of the five categories you've listed are meaningful unless you have some idea of what poor supplier quality is costing you.

Jim, Do we need to include cost in Quality rating? It doesn't sound meaningful for me.

Sam4Quality

'Quality' Comes First
Originally Posted by sowmya

Jim, Do we need to include cost in Quality rating? It doesn't sound meaningful for me.
Both Jim and SteeMaiden have put up some critical points for you.

While your current rating system seems to be fine, I think including the cost effectiveness would not only give greater meaning to your rating system, it would definitely bring up some previously ignored points related to costs.

IMO, the idea of putting up a Supplier Quality Rating is to acquire the most feasible set of Suppliers, with the most likeable service at the most viable costs. And including the cost effectiveness is definitely on a higher rung for me.

Ciao. :cool:

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

If supplier problems don't have costs attached to them, (i.e., if they don't result in money lost) what purpose do ratings serve?

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
I like to keep it simple on the surface. Monitor OTD and quality (# accepted parts/# shipped parts) as a first pass. Pareto the results and attack the biggest problems. Every rejection costs you money.

B

blue_cove

Hello,

Now, I also start to building in my company new suppliers rating system :biglaugh: I divide suppliers for two groups:
- production suppliers,
- transport suppliers.

The most important for me is production suppliers group. I choose some criteria:
- PPM (rejected parts),
- quality management systems which have suppliers,
- logistic precision (quantity of delivered parts),
- logistic precision (time)

After I rated my suppliers, the system automatic divide them for levels A, B or C.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Supplier Rating Form with Quality, Cost, Delivery wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
R Supplier Quality Rating Scorecard Template (excel spreadsheet) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
T Ideas for developing a Supplier Quality Management System, non automotive ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A Supplier Quality Standard vs Senior Management Direction Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
Ajit Basrur Quality Agreement with supplier covering medical devices and consumer requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Jen Kirley Moving on - I accepted an offer to be a Supplier Quality Engineer at GE Healthcare Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 42
Tagin Measuring supplier quality with small quantities Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
A Critical Supplier/Quality Agreement Procedure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
S Supplier Control - Supplier quality management certificates (ISO, etc) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J Support and guidance with supplier quality management system Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
GStough Have You Had to Write a NC Against a Quality Manual in a Supplier Audit? General Auditing Discussions 12
J IATF 16949 Cl. 8.4.2.3 - Supplier Quality Management System Development IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 59
P ASQ Certified Supplier Quality Professional is the certification worth it? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
T ISO 13485:2016 Clause 7.4.2 regarding Supplier Quality Agreements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
L Supplier Approval Process – Should the Quality Department be Excluded? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
S SQM (Supplier Quality Management) - Centralized or divided per Business Group Benchmarking 0
I Difference between ASQR (Aerospace Supplier Quality Requirements) and AS9100 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 20
K NPI (New Product Introduction) Quality Plan Outsourced Manufacturer/Supplier APQP and PPAP 3
B Measuring Supplier Quality Performance Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 10
R Can our Supplier's Quality Mgr. conduct Supplier Audit on behalf of manufacturer? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
S Supplier Quality with Prototyping Parts with no Part Number or Drawings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
S Can you help me on manpower planning for Supplier Quality Engineers ? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
V Quality Roadmap from Voice of the Customer way down to Supplier Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
G Supplier Quality Questionnaire - Asking who our customers are Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
D What's the future of supplier quality engineer for your worklife? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
V Supplier Service Level Agreements (Supplier Quality Development) APQP and PPAP 2
F Supplier Quality Engineer Beginner - Potential Interview Questions Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
O Vendor (Supplier) Responsibility - Re: Quality Audits 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
L Does someone has experience with a Supplier "Quality Watch" Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
T World Class Supplier Quality Alert System CAR/SCAR By Email Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
J Quality Manager's role in Customer and Supplier Complaints Customer Complaints 10
J Implementing a Supplier Quality Portal Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
T Senior SQE (Supplier Quality Engineer) Specific Roles and Responsibilities Career and Occupation Discussions 5
P What is the last revision of Toyota SQAM (Supplier Quality Assurance Manual)? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
S SQE (Supplier Quality Engineer) Job Interview Questions Benchmarking 4
D Aftermarket Supplier Quality Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
T Recommended Books for SQE (Supplier Quality Engineering) Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 20
L Avoiding Recurrence of the Supplier?s Quality Problems Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
N Using a Vendor's (Supplier's) Quality System ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
optomist1 Definition Supplier Quality Assurance vs. Supplier Development vs. Field Quality Engineering Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
Q Vendor (Supplier) Quality Plan vs. Our QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
C Medical Device Supplier Quality Agreement example wanted Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
T Integration of Supplier Quality Assurance within Plant Engineering Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
S Supplier Quality Survey - Why are those surveys still sent out? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 13
B What a Notified Body expects to see in a Supplier/Quality Agreement ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
Q How to ensure quality on the supplier? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
Q How to Control the Supplier Quality? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J Supplier Quality Management System (QMS) Audit - Formal Documented QMS does not exist ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
J Revised Honda Supplier Quality Manual dated 5/1/2011 Available Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
P Supplier's Quality Competency - Testing the knowledge/competency of their personnel Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8