Supplier Quality Survey - Why are those surveys still sent out?

S

Sorin

Why are those surveys still sent out?

It's a waste of paper and TIME...print (paper or pdf), send it out, follow-up, egt it back, archive or, if on the side of receiving: print (paper or pdf), complete, send back, archive.

It should be:

1.Do you have a Quality Management System in place? Yes/No

2. If yes please provide proof of certification.

EOS

NB: Registrars!!! What is your take on this?

D

db

Re: Supplier Quality Survey

Why even do that? What value is there in the questions (or answers)? We evaluate suppliers every time we do business with them don't we (right product, right quantity, right quality, right delivery timing and right price)? What more do we really need that would be usefull?

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
My guess is that buyers know they are supposed to have some kind of monitoring/evaluation process in place but lack the resources/imagination/skills to conduct meaningful communications and inquiry. So they write down the stuff they want to know - or the stuff they think other people expect them to ask - and mail it away for others to fill out and do the job of communicating.

Having done this, they dust their hands off and say, "There, done!" and wait till the information comes gushing in. Writing and sending surveys is easy. Writing useful and effective surveys and sending them to the people most inclined to give accurate answers - and to answer at all - is not so easy. There's a reason survey response rates are low. Most of them really do look like a waste of time, or trying to get the supplier make the effort of communication. I used to fill them out when I was working for a machine shop several years ago.

I never saw one such survey that would clearly support TS 16949, 7.4.1.2 (Supplier quality management development) but I have no doubt these surveys are pointed to as a tool for just that.
:2cents:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
NB: Registrars!!! What is your take on this?
I've mentioned several times that there are many better ways to waste :tg: precious time, rather than being involved with these meaningless surveys. The only time such surveys can be of any benefit is when you are in the process of screening a supplier and you ask them to fill out one, but you follow up with an on-site visit to ascertain if the supplier was truthful in his self-assessment. As for using supplier surveys for on-going relationships, as means of "monitoring" supplier performance, it is non-sensical.

H

Hodgepodge

The applicable requirements are:​

AS9100C 7.4.1
The organization shall evaluate and select suppliers based on their ability to supply product in accordance with the organization's requirements. Criteria for selection, evaluation and re-evaluation shall be established. Records of the results of evaluations and any necessary actions arising from the evaluation shall be maintained (see 4.2.4).​

7.4.1 b
b) periodically review supplier performance; the results of these reviews shall be used as a basis for establishing the level of controls to be implemented,

If a survey is to be used, it should be used at the time of initial assessment and by qualified personnel. It could also be of use if a supplier has been disapproved and is in the process of being reapproved. Reviewing supplier performance doesn’t mean sending a survey. It means taking a look at the supplier’s quality & delivery history and determining if your company wants to continue to do business with the supplier with the current relationship as-is.​

Does your company require AS9100 registration? If so, yes, request a copy of the certificate. However, the certificate alone doesn’t mean anything. A review of their performance must still be made. If your company requires (in your internal procedures) AS9100 compliance, then you must be able to show the supplier is in compliance. How will you achieve this? To me, the mail in survey is unnecessary and ineffective.​

I do not climb the soap box very often, but in the case of those surveys I am happy to make an exception :soap::
Excellent question. In my not so humble opinion they are generally dished out by people who have been led to believe that they have to send them. I agree that they are a horrendous waste of time that could and should be put to much better use: Improvement comes to mind.
It should be:
1.Do you have a Quality Management System in place? Yes/No
2. If yes please provide proof of certification.
That would suffice, but db also makes a good point:
Why even do that?
Why indeed? I am willing to bet that the vast majority of those surveys end up in a file cabinet or possibly (if the company in question has realized that we have entered the 21st century) a hard disk, never to see the light of day again this side of the retention time.
Writing and sending surveys is easy. Writing useful and effective surveys and sending them to the people most inclined to give accurate answers - and to answer at all - is not so easy.
Exactly: They are often poorly written and/or outdated (a few days ago I received one asking us if we were registered acc. to ISO 9002:nope:), but on the other hand they are not put to any worthwhile use either, so why waste the energy to improve them? Sidney expressed it well:
I've mentioned several times that there are many better ways to waste :tg: precious time, rather than being involved with these meaningless surveys.
Amen to that. While we are on the subject of wasting time, I think we should also mention the interesting fact that so many of those surveys come in the dreaded pdf format, forcing you to FILL THEM IN BY HAND, without a mail or even fax address making it necessary to also return them by snail mail! :mad:Once more: 21st century, anyone?
As for using supplier surveys for on-going relationships, as means of "monitoring" supplier performance, it is non-sensical.
Shake my hand, brother.:agree:

Ok, rant done.

/Claes

C

CBAL08

Thank you for the post. We have seen that the traditional supplier surveys do not work...however what could be the best way to Re- evaluate ( review) the exixting suppliers? Any ideas and thoughts in this. Working in a small company with limited resources ( man power) even simple traditional surveys become difficult. Would be great to hear about ideas how could this be done most effectively so that we always have the best product and the clauses of the standards are fulfilled.

pkost

Trusted Information Resource
Thank you for the post. We have seen that the traditional supplier surveys do not work...however what could be the best way to Re- evaluate ( review) the exixting suppliers? Any ideas and thoughts in this. Working in a small company with limited resources ( man power) even simple traditional surveys become difficult. Would be great to hear about ideas how could this be done most effectively so that we always have the best product and the clauses of the standards are fulfilled.

db has already covered this...why bother re-evaluating them with a questionnaire, you have all the data you need right in front of you if they are an existing supplier....

db said:
right product, right quantity, right quality, right delivery timing and right price?

If they are doing all of the above then they are meeting your requirements and therefore should pass evaluation. All you need to do is document that you have reviewed their performance and that it meets your requirements...re-evaluation done!

You should only worry if they are getting things wrong, in which case CAPA should kick in.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Client: How do I evaluate and select supplier ... :confused:
Consultant: Do not worry, here is the form. Send it to all suppliers and get back the same duly filled. What is next ...
Client: Aaaaha, that is nice, thanks. You are really good and give quick solutions ... :)
and so those surveys are sent out ... :cool:

Last edited:
C

CBAL08

Thank you for the answer regarding the suppliers. But as you said there should be a documented evidence...this is where I need help...could it be a form or just a meeting minute with the Purchasing department /Production involved and saying that we have looked the performance based on the incoming inspections and their delivery date/ Quality of products and they are OK? Is this enough or should there be a form to be filled in each suppliers name....there could be more than 200 suppliers even if it is a small company.

Top Bottom