Supplier Re-Evaluation Process and Requirements

Moncia

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi guys
I have a question about vendor's re-evaluation. Hit the wall :frust:
What's the best, which process you use to re-evaluate your vendors?

What we do, we send out "New Vendor's Questionnaire" which has general, administrative section about the company with 3 reference request and followed by two pages with general, quality compliance section.

Next year, when they become not "new' any more, we send them similar "general vendor survey" which is the same - so they can post changes to their administrative structure, if applicable- and answer quality compliance questions if developed new procedures, but no more reference question.

Off course, for ISO registered companies only first page is required and copy of their certification.

We also said in our Manual that once a year, during our annual, end of the internal audit cycle, Management Review Meeting we will go over out vendors list and discuss if and what kind a problems we had over the past year with each. If yes, what kind a corrective or preventive actions will we issue and how this will affect our vendors remaining on the approved list.

Is that sufficient enough????
I know some companies have complicated re-evaluation forms in place with points system for each vendor. Do we need one of those???
What do you do to re-evaluate vendors in your company???

Thanks for all your help!!!!!!:bigwave:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Suppliers re-evaluation process

First, how much do these surveys truly help you out? imho, ask if the supplier is registered, who the registrar is and the certification date and cert number. From that information you can figure out when you need to check to make sure that the certification remains continuous. Do you want to believe your own records that I have provided what you want, when you want it, and am good to work with, or do you want to send me a survey that I will put minimal effort into, boilerplating my answers?

You've figured it out now that I hate surveys? :lmao:

Assign someone from the area the product is used to monitor the suppliers price, delivery, quality and service. Assign a date for the re-evaluation to be completed by and be done with it.:2cents: Unless it adds value to your process dispense with redundant paperwork and needless cycles of supplier audits.

somashekar

Leader
Admin

Hi guys
I have a question about vendor's re-evaluation. Hit the wall :frust:
What's the best, which process you use to re-evaluate your vendors?

What we do, we send out "New Vendor's Questionnaire" which has general, administrative section about the company with 3 reference request and followed by two pages with general, quality compliance section.

Next year, when they become not "new' any more, we send them similar "general vendor survey" which is the same - so they can post changes to their administrative structure, if applicable- and answer quality compliance questions if developed new procedures, but no more reference question.

Off course, for ISO registered companies only first page is required and copy of their certification.

We also said in our Manual that once a year, during our annual, end of the internal audit cycle, Management Review Meeting we will go over out vendors list and discuss if and what kind a problems we had over the past year with each. If yes, what kind a corrective or preventive actions will we issue and how this will affect our vendors remaining on the approved list.

Is that sufficient enough????
I know some companies have complicated re-evaluation forms in place with points system for each vendor. Do we need one of those???
What do you do to re-evaluate vendors in your company???

Thanks for all your help!!!!!!:bigwave:
Hello Moncia,
The requirement per the ISO 9001 is to establish criteria for re-evaluation. As I can gather your criteria is time which is annual and I do not know why you have choosen to re-evaluate annually.
Perhaps you are loading yourself with a lot of work at the turn of the period by this, and if you have a big supplier database, the re-evaluation is more a mechanical routine.
I would like you to consider several criteria for this re-evaluation (meaning you have already evaulated first and are satisfied). Some of the criteria that strikes to me are :
1. No orders on the evaluated supplier for a long duration (may be 6 months / year as decided by the organization)
2. Supplier's management has undergone a change
3. Supplier has shifted to a new location
4. Supplier rating (if you have a rating system) is below par for a given period
5. Supplier has undertaken a CA on your reported problem and you need to check it out
6. Supplier has added new machines and enhanced capability
7. You have more new parts and wish to choose the existing supplier to make and supply them who already are evaluated for similar parts.
8. (You can add more ....)

Please note that none of them are annual. They are based upon the business need to have good and continued supplier - customer relationship.
I feel one has to come out of the survey and form mindset and look at real needs for re-evaluation. The standard says " Criteria for selection, evaluation and re-evaluation shall be established. " and we simply apply this across all the suppliers missing out on the CRITERIA.

Moncia

Quite Involved in Discussions

ooooo
my goodness guys you are good,
so unless something major happens in the compnay, it does not have to be re-evaluated on constant basis????
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Ok so this year have to do it, since it is written into our manual, but I am soooo revising it.
thanks a lot

R

ralphsulser

We had file and chart for each supplier that tracked monthly delivery performance, and another that tracked monthly quality performance. These were reviewed monthly and trended for actions if necessary. All had to submit copies of their ISO9001 ot ISO/TS16949 certifications or real plans of their ECD.
Management reviews included performance results, and micreants were notified in writing upon failure to meet the criteria established.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Simple supplier evaluation qualification process form that includes Risk Assessment Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
V Supplier?s PPAP - Production Process Control Plan Review, Evaluation and Approval? FMEA and Control Plans 5
I Do company sales agents/distributors need to go through supplier evaluation process? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
Q Initial Supplier Evaluation Method - 7.4.1 Purchasing Process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B Supplier Evaluation report - Validation required or not ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Supplier Evaluation for Cold Chain Distribution of Human Tissues Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
L Supplier performance evaluation Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
J Revamping Supplier Qualification, Re-evaluation, and Monitoring Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Supplier evaluation Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
B AS9100 8.4.1 Supplier Selection/Evaluation criteria and reevaluations AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
R Supplier evaluation and business needs in the context of ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
K Supplier re-evaluation (API Q1) Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
S Supplier Audit Assessment / Evaluation Forms IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S Evaluation of Supplier / Sole supplier Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
P Supplier (Vendor) Evaluation Criteria - IATF 16949 Cl. 8.4.1.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S What questions to ask in annual supplier evaluation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Supplier Evaluation - Is a supplier score card a requirement under ISO and QSR? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
a_bardi Excluding ISO9001 Cl. 8.4 - Supplier Selection and Evaluation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
S Supplier Evaluation - External Provider Evaluation (AS9100) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
Q Supplier evaluation for registrar? Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
E Supplier Evaluation Form - Example to evaluation suppliers (criteria) please Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
V Looking for a Supplier Evaluation template for Environmental Performance Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
D Can we exclude purchasing and supplier evaluation - ISO9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
Crusader Service-Type Supplier Evaluation Exclusion? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
A API Q1 5.6.1.2 - Initial Supplier Evaluation Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 16
N Supplier Evaluation - Simplest System Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 33
D Supplier Evaluation of a Finance Department Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
B Supplier Evaluation for ISO 9001 Clause 7.4.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Is an Annual Supplier Evaluation an ISO 9001 requirement? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
T Clarification of ISO 9001 Clause 7.4.1 - Supplier Evaluation Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 13
Marc Definition ASES - Alliance Supplier Evaluation Standard Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
M ISO 13485 Calibration Supplier Evaluation Requirements question Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
L What to look for in a Vendor (Supplier) Evaluation for AVL ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
M Root Cause of 'Supplier Evaluation Not defined' Nonconformance and Corrective Action 15
L Supplier Selection and Evaluation - Raw Material Manufacturer vs. Distributor ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Supplier Evaluation SOP - How do I Define Major and Minor Suppliers? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 14
S PPAP - Supplier Evaluation Responsibilities APQP and PPAP 1
B EN 13980-2002 and EN 80079-34-2011 - 7.4.1.c) Supplier Evaluation Requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
V ASES (Alliance Supplier Evaluation Standard) Check Sheet of Nissan wanted Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
K Approved Vendor (Supplier) List and Supplier Evaluation Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 16
K Supplier Evaluation Form or Template wanted AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
D Supplier Evaluation Criteria and Supplier Re-evaluation Criteria Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
H ISO 13485 Sec 7.4 - Supplier Selection, Evaluation and Re-evaluation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 20
A Supplier Evaluation Procedure in case of Agency (Distributors) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
M Do we need to conduct Vendor (Supplier) Evaluation? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
K Fruit and Vegetable Supplier Evaluation wanted Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 9
Y Difference between Cl. 7.4.1 Supplier Re-Evaluation and Cl. 7.5.2 Revalidation Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
A Supplier Evaluation Responsibility Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 16
S Do we need to maintain Records of Internal Supplier Evaluation per 7.4.1? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
A Evaluation of Supplier & Evaluation of Outsourced Services different? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11