Supplier?s PPAP - Production Process Control Plan Review, Evaluation and Approval?

V

vardar3

Supplier’s PPAP - Production Process Control Plan Review, Evaluation and Approval?

I’m a PPAP coordinator responsible for collecting and approving PPAP documents. Often the first time anyone of us sees the supplier quality documents (Process Flow, Control Plan and FMEA) are when they are submitted to me in a PPAP. I then have the task of figuring out if the documents describe and control the supplier’s production process effectively.

Although I try to be thorough in reviewing the documents, (for example a review can take hours and several phone calls to the supplier) I have a hard time knowing if a flow, control plan or FMEA are adequate or not. This leads to problems especially when a quality issue in our plant leads to a review of the control plan which shows that a certain process lacked control, and I believe that is something that I should have identified.

Since many of the control plans issues are only identified after the fact, I thought it would be helpful if there was more of a management review of the control plan, kind of like a control plan sign-off? Are you aware of any control plan or quality document sign-off process that could help in this situation?

* I have also started doing on site control plan reviews which should help with future issues.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Re: Supplier’s PPAP - Production Process Control Plan Review, Evaluation and Approval

I’m a PPAP coordinator responsible for collecting and approving PPAP documents. Often the first time anyone of us sees the supplier quality documents (Process Flow, Control Plan and FMEA) are when they are submitted to me in a PPAP. I then have the task of figuring out if the documents describe and control the supplier’s production process effectively.

Although I try to be thorough in reviewing the documents, (for example a review can take hours and several phone calls to the supplier) I have a hard time knowing if a flow, control plan or FMEA are adequate or not. This leads to problems especially when a quality issue in our plant leads to a review of the control plan which shows that a certain process lacked control, and I believe that is something that I should have identified.

Since many of the control plans issues are only identified after the fact, I thought it would be helpful if there was more of a management review of the control plan, kind of like a control plan sign-off? Are you aware of any control plan or quality document sign-off process that could help in this situation?

* I have also started doing on site control plan reviews which should help with future issues.
The amount of scrutiny any individual PPAP submission should get should be proportionate to the level of risk involved and the number of submissions. It's impossible to catch everything in a desk-bound review, and just as impossible to be everywhere at once.

Ford addressed this sort of issue with its "phased" PPAP process, wherein documents are submitted as they are produced in APQP-order, which is not a bad idea. When I was reviewing PPAPs for new model-year parts for a major vehicle manufacturer, we had suppliers submit their flow diagrams, PFMEAs and control plans well in advance of PPAP submission, which helped in the assignment of resources to those suppliers and parts that represented the most risk.

V

vardar3

Re: Supplier’s PPAP - Production Process Control Plan Review, Evaluation and Approval

I suggested the Ford Phased PPAP as an example in our morning meeting like you suggested. Good idea and thank you. So we are going to work on developing some type of process that can get the quality documents in early prior to PPAP so we can better review all the material.

Also I suggested four areas that I wanted to focus on which were:
· Build Verification-using the sample PPAP parts to make sure they are ok to build with, it was suggested to even develop a sign off procedure for that.
· Control plan walk through at suppliers facilities. I’ll get to see how much resource my company wants to put into this because we have suppliers all around the world.
· PFMEA walk through and reviews
· Gaging – We discovered we are weak in the area of developing gage concepts. Sometimes the gage is even developed after the fact for quality assurance. It’s a lot to work on already.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

I suggested the Ford Phased PPAP as an example in our morning meeting like you suggested. Good idea and thank you. So we are going to work on developing some type of process that can get the quality documents in early prior to PPAP so we can better review all the material.

Also I suggested four areas that I wanted to focus on which were:
· Build Verification-using the sample PPAP parts to make sure they are ok to build with, it was suggested to even develop a sign off procedure for that.
· Control plan walk through at suppliers facilities. I’ll get to see how much resource my company wants to put into this because we have suppliers all around the world.
· PFMEA walk through and reviews
· Gaging – We discovered we are weak in the area of developing gage concepts. Sometimes the gage is even developed after the fact for quality assurance. It’s a lot to work on already.
It sounds like you have a good plan. :agree1:

S

sajeed

Hi there? I need some help regarding.. " Vehicle Evaluation plan for the vehicle Validation". I took a target vehicle as FORD FIESTA 2017, and made benchmarking, process planning, etc as a part of my course project. My next and final topic or step to launch the vehicle is.. " Vehicle Evaluation plan for the vehicle Validation". Can you help me in getting a sample of such report?
please!

Thanks,
Sajeed

V

vijayasekar

Hai,

while preparing quality control plan CFT shall involve and all the process and product characterstics shall address. suitable corrective actions shall implement for chronically unstable processes. Top management also involve review and approve the document

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Who should Sign Supplier PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) documents? APQP and PPAP 13
A New Supplier implementation - PPAP vs APQP APQP and PPAP 9
N How to resolve discrepancies in Level 3 PPAP supplier dimensional reports? APQP and PPAP 11
H Manufacturer vs. Supplier - Which is which on PPAP Forms APQP and PPAP 3
P Automotive Supplier PPAP Level Requirements Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
B Should I Request/Submit a PPAP from/to a Supplier/Customer for only Repackaging Parts APQP and PPAP 7
V PPAP After Fire at Supplier APQP and PPAP 4
V Submitting Supplier Information in Customer PPAP APQP and PPAP 2
Stijloor GM (Supplier) and PPAP Requirement 3.1 Customer Notification APQP and PPAP 5
W Using a sub-supplier's PFMEA in PPAP Submission APQP and PPAP 4
D Supplier PPAP questions for CPK Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
M Supplier PPAP for Interim Materials - Oil to test functionality of finished product IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
G OEM resistance to Supplier / PPAP Change APQP and PPAP 5
S PPAP Supplier Submission Questions - Automotive Paint IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
V We put Old plating spec on supplier prints and need to PPAP to Customer. APQP and PPAP 1
V Supplier's First Run had Plating Problems - Can they Strip, Re-Plate and PPAP them? APQP and PPAP 14
V Plating Supplier PPAP Revalidation Requirements - A-Coat GM 9984132 Plating Process APQP and PPAP 1
V Can't PPAP to Customer because a Supplier was Re-Sourced APQP and PPAP 2
S PPAP - Supplier Evaluation Responsibilities APQP and PPAP 1
S Who has to sign off on supplier PPAP? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
V Do I need to have Supplier Master PPAP Samples? I see in AIAG 4.1 APQP and PPAP 4
V Supplier Moving Manufacturing Location after original PPAP APQP and PPAP 4
E PPAP PSW Approval: Customer Drawing or Supplier Drawing APQP and PPAP 4
V Repercussions for Interim Approval of Supplier PPAP's APQP and PPAP 3
Q Signal from Supplier to do PPAP? APQP and PPAP 10
Q Level of PPAP - Bulk Chemicals Supplier Requirements APQP and PPAP 2
Q What to do instead of PPAP for non ISO TS 16949 Certified Supplier? APQP and PPAP 23
Q Supplier PPAP - TS 16949 Clause 7.3.6.3: For what products? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 19
Q Supplier PPAP: Procedure or Flow Chart to define Responsibilities and Actions? APQP and PPAP 4
F PPAP Material Test Results Requirements - Material Supplier Identification QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
B Supplier changed their Manufacturing Process - Is a PPAP resubmission required? APQP and PPAP 17
S PPAP Requirements for Submission to our Customers for a New Supplier APQP and PPAP 1
Q Supplier PPAP Requirements - TS 16949 Clause 7.3.6.3 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
C Sub-Supplier compliance to Ford Phase 0 PPAP (Run at Rate) APQP and PPAP 3
K Supplier PPAP Requirements - Level 3 or Level 4 APQP and PPAP 6
N On-Time Supplier PPAP Tracking APQP and PPAP 3
F Notification of Change of Material Supplier - PPAP Manual 4th Edition APQP and PPAP 15
P Supplier Responsibilities to Initiate a PPAP Submission APQP and PPAP 15
J Prior Notice of Sub-Supplier or Material Source Change - PPAP Requirements Question APQP and PPAP 13
N Supplier PPAP - How many parts should they submit? APQP and PPAP 6
B Cost for PPAP - Customer pays for samples and PPAP documentation from supplier APQP and PPAP 8
M Delayed PPAP - Supplier has delayed providing PPAP for 2 years APQP and PPAP 25
B PPAP approval based on information supplied by the supplier APQP and PPAP 2
S Supplier requesting Customer PPAP submission APQP and PPAP 5
R Out of Specification Parts from Supplier. Do we need to re-PPAP? APQP and PPAP 7
E Supplier PPAP - Section 7.3.6.3. - Our company received a minor - Help IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
S PPAP for my tier 3 suppliers - Sub-Supplier Process Changes APQP and PPAP 16
kedarg6500 Our supplier has submitted PPAP documents - What do I do next Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
G Where application PPAP my Supplier? Only new products or old products too? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
J Outside vendor (supplier) Certified to do GMW3359 - Certification for PPAP submission Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 9