Supplier?s PPAP - Production Process Control Plan Review, Evaluation and Approval?

V

vardar3

Supplier’s PPAP - Production Process Control Plan Review, Evaluation and Approval?

I’m a PPAP coordinator responsible for collecting and approving PPAP documents. Often the first time anyone of us sees the supplier quality documents (Process Flow, Control Plan and FMEA) are when they are submitted to me in a PPAP. I then have the task of figuring out if the documents describe and control the supplier’s production process effectively.

Although I try to be thorough in reviewing the documents, (for example a review can take hours and several phone calls to the supplier) I have a hard time knowing if a flow, control plan or FMEA are adequate or not. This leads to problems especially when a quality issue in our plant leads to a review of the control plan which shows that a certain process lacked control, and I believe that is something that I should have identified.

Since many of the control plans issues are only identified after the fact, I thought it would be helpful if there was more of a management review of the control plan, kind of like a control plan sign-off? Are you aware of any control plan or quality document sign-off process that could help in this situation?

* I have also started doing on site control plan reviews which should help with future issues.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: Supplier’s PPAP - Production Process Control Plan Review, Evaluation and Approval

I’m a PPAP coordinator responsible for collecting and approving PPAP documents. Often the first time anyone of us sees the supplier quality documents (Process Flow, Control Plan and FMEA) are when they are submitted to me in a PPAP. I then have the task of figuring out if the documents describe and control the supplier’s production process effectively.

Although I try to be thorough in reviewing the documents, (for example a review can take hours and several phone calls to the supplier) I have a hard time knowing if a flow, control plan or FMEA are adequate or not. This leads to problems especially when a quality issue in our plant leads to a review of the control plan which shows that a certain process lacked control, and I believe that is something that I should have identified.

Since many of the control plans issues are only identified after the fact, I thought it would be helpful if there was more of a management review of the control plan, kind of like a control plan sign-off? Are you aware of any control plan or quality document sign-off process that could help in this situation?

* I have also started doing on site control plan reviews which should help with future issues.

The amount of scrutiny any individual PPAP submission should get should be proportionate to the level of risk involved and the number of submissions. It's impossible to catch everything in a desk-bound review, and just as impossible to be everywhere at once.

Ford addressed this sort of issue with its "phased" PPAP process, wherein documents are submitted as they are produced in APQP-order, which is not a bad idea. When I was reviewing PPAPs for new model-year parts for a major vehicle manufacturer, we had suppliers submit their flow diagrams, PFMEAs and control plans well in advance of PPAP submission, which helped in the assignment of resources to those suppliers and parts that represented the most risk.

V

vardar3

Re: Supplier’s PPAP - Production Process Control Plan Review, Evaluation and Approval

I suggested the Ford Phased PPAP as an example in our morning meeting like you suggested. Good idea and thank you. So we are going to work on developing some type of process that can get the quality documents in early prior to PPAP so we can better review all the material.

Also I suggested four areas that I wanted to focus on which were:
· Build Verification-using the sample PPAP parts to make sure they are ok to build with, it was suggested to even develop a sign off procedure for that.
· Control plan walk through at suppliers facilities. I’ll get to see how much resource my company wants to put into this because we have suppliers all around the world.
· PFMEA walk through and reviews
· Gaging – We discovered we are weak in the area of developing gage concepts. Sometimes the gage is even developed after the fact for quality assurance. It’s a lot to work on already.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

I suggested the Ford Phased PPAP as an example in our morning meeting like you suggested. Good idea and thank you. So we are going to work on developing some type of process that can get the quality documents in early prior to PPAP so we can better review all the material.

Also I suggested four areas that I wanted to focus on which were:
· Build Verification-using the sample PPAP parts to make sure they are ok to build with, it was suggested to even develop a sign off procedure for that.
· Control plan walk through at suppliers facilities. I’ll get to see how much resource my company wants to put into this because we have suppliers all around the world.
· PFMEA walk through and reviews
· Gaging – We discovered we are weak in the area of developing gage concepts. Sometimes the gage is even developed after the fact for quality assurance. It’s a lot to work on already.

It sounds like you have a good plan. :agree1:

S

sajeed

Hi there? I need some help regarding.. " Vehicle Evaluation plan for the vehicle Validation". I took a target vehicle as FORD FIESTA 2017, and made benchmarking, process planning, etc as a part of my course project. My next and final topic or step to launch the vehicle is.. " Vehicle Evaluation plan for the vehicle Validation". Can you help me in getting a sample of such report?
please!

Thanks,
Sajeed

V

vijayasekar

Hai,

while preparing quality control plan CFT shall involve and all the process and product characterstics shall address. suitable corrective actions shall implement for chronically unstable processes. Top management also involve review and approve the document

Top Bottom