SBS - The best value in QMS software

Supplier Selection based on Total Cost question

I

InspectorJK

You need to purchase a product and it costs $4 to inspect each part and they have a failure cost of $80. calculate an ideal sample size

Your organization needs 10,000 units annually in shipments of 500 and two suppliers have capacity to provide the product, they are:

Supplier Delivered cost per unit Historical fraction defective
A $5.00 0.005
B $4.90 0.01

Each time a shipment is rejected, your organization incurs a cost of $250 to cover purchasing, quality and production’s time to deal with the rejection.

This is not the cost of sorting rejected lots, that cost is incurred by either A or B. Which supplier would you choose to minimize total annual cost (ignoring lot sizing and the time value of money)

I found out the sample size using ANSI - ASQ z1.4 , which i got 50. Can anyone help me to help me to find an answer for this rather easy question?

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration with a Mask on...
Staff member
Admin
I'm not a supplier engineer, so I don't have the answer. Just clarifying. I assume this is a student question, correct?

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration with a Mask on...
Staff member
Admin
A quick "Bump". My Thanks in advance to anyone here who can help with this one.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B AS9100 8.4.1 Supplier Selection/Evaluation criteria and reevaluations AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
J IATF 16949 8.4.1.2 Supplier selection process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M Supplier selection criteria - Medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A IATF 16949 Cl. 8.4.1.2 Supplier Selection Process - assessment example IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
a_bardi Excluding ISO9001 Cl. 8.4 - Supplier Selection and Evaluation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N ISO 13485:2016 - Supplier Selection Criteria ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
B IATF 16949 Clause 8.4.1.2 - Supplier Selection Process - Service Providers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
W Supplier Selection Criteria Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
L Supplier Selection and Evaluation - Raw Material Manufacturer vs. Distributor ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J API Q1 7.4.1.2 Supplier Selection Supplemental Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
A Purchasing Verification & Supplier Selection ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
H ISO 13485 Sec 7.4 - Supplier Selection, Evaluation and Re-evaluation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 20
A Supplier Selection - Assembly Activities Assessment Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
A Procedure for Supplier Selection and Performance Evaluation - Comprehensive Example Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
Sidney Vianna Should customers influence a supplier's registrar selection? Registrars and Notified Bodies 88
C Supplier Qualification/Selection and Decision Methods Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
Q Supplier Selection - ISO 9001 Clause 7.4.1 - Need Help Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
A Purchasing - Supplier Evaluation vs. Selection - What is the difference? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
G Supplier Evaluation and Selection for Electronic Parts Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
G 7.4.1. Supplier selection, evaluation and re-evaluation - McMaster, Grainger, etc. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 9
D Supplier Evaluation and Selection in the ?Service? industry Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
C Purchasing Procedure - Supplier selection, evaluation and re-evaluation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 22
A Supplier Selection by recommendation! Will this fly? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
Marc Supplier Selection Criteria Discussion Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
Jerry Eldred Calibration Supplier Selection - Calibration & Temperature & Work Instructions General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Supplier evaluation Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
briteme4 ASL - AS9100 / Supplier Survey Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
A System for Supplier Documents Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 0
T IMDS submission without supplier's input? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 0
J Supplier not responding to PPAP request APQP and PPAP 5
D Supplier audit Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
lanley liao Does all of the suppliers need to integrated into the supplier list qualified of the company? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
S Distinction between a critical supplier and a Virtual manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R AS9102 FAI Change in Material / Process Supplier AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
John Broomfield Five ways to botch your supplier management program Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
C Supplier survey - 200 to 250 duppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
J Where is the definition of a critical supplier? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
U Approved Vendor (supplier) List Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
M Supplier requirements - Major supplier is a Non-Profit registered with ICCBBA (FDA UDI) Supply Chain Security Management Systems 12
P Training department ideas and development for automotive supplier Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
B Software service provider as critical supplier ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
T AS9100D Clause 10.2.1g Supplier Corrective Action for each and every nonconformity? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S Supplier protocol for the Quality Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
A API Spec Q1 Purchasing Process - Supplier Reevaluation based on Supplier Risks 5.6.1.4 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 17
D Approved supplier list - Distributors question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
G Supplier delivered recent PPAP, should he deliver yearly layout inspection? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
E ISO 13485 QMS certification as a Supplier ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
G Supplier doesn't share drawings IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
S Use of raw materials by two supplier CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
D Are Supplier Quality Agreements Quality Records ? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 9