Supplier Selection by recommendation! Will this fly?

A

Andy Bassett

Background

Small electronics company of 11 people assembling simple electronics components for customers.

Components are often supplied by the customers, if not the vast majority are bought from distributors.

After a hot discussion about Supplier Selection last week, i threw away the Standard and said OK. 'If you need a new supplier what do you do?'

The reply was; I source a supplier and ask colleagues and friends what they know about them.
What! No questionnaires, no audits, no demand to see ISo certs, hardly ISO compliant you may think.

But wait a moment. We are constantly being told when we are looking for accountants, lawyers doctors or consultants to seek references. Maybe this is a valid form of supplier selection.

So if this is true, what would stop me creating a simple table, where my client lists his suppliers and his source of recommendation? ie Supplier 'Jon Doe' recommended to me by Fred Smith 14.6.2000.
I realise that this is efficient, flexible and dangerously close to reality, but even so, will i get it past an ISO auditor.

What about the distributors? I am going to try and aviod listing them anywhere simply becuase it will add no value. It is a fact that electrical components are traded like commodities, even if they cant get them where they want, they will go somewhere else in the world, requesting ISO certs or questionnaires to be filled out is simply not value adding.
If this flies they will be down to listng and measuring just 5 of their suppliers that actually produce goods to their specs.

What do you think. Could it fly?

------------------
Andy B

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

Jim Biz

This reads like it would fly in our auditors eyes anyway. Last external we explained that some of the suppliers we use are "Customer identified" He "indicated" that it would not be wrong to list them on our Master as such. I would however be real careful with how you do it .. the follow up question may be "show me the evidence of customer identification?"

[This message has been edited by Jim Biz (edited 21 June 2000).]

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Originally posted by Andy Bassett:
What do you think. Could it fly?
Maybe as part of a larger whole. Recommendations are quite subjective - I would have questions about using that as a sole criteria.

A

Andy Bassett

Hello Marc - Come back to me on this one if you would.

I could think of many weird and wonderful supplier selection and measurement schemes. But when asked this particular company owner basically said that he would not dream of starting to work with suppliers based on how they answered a questionnaire, or if they had an ISO cert on the wall. He would seek personal recommendations.

After i digested this for a few minutes, and thought about how we ourselves select our accountants, solicitors doctors and dentists etc, (mainly by personal recommendation i beleive) i realised that he had a valid point.

If i stated on a Supplier List the source of the recommendation do you think this would be enough.

Regards

------------------
Andy B

Marc

Staff member
Admin
I would have no problem with 'recommendations' as part of a larger whole, as I said above. I would also include some other aspects. I would consider ISO 9001 registration as one aspect. ISO would indicate they have a working nonconformance - corrective action system and several other systems I would want to exist. Price would be another consideration. Delivery (first what they claim they can do and then what actually happens) is another.
After i digested this for a few minutes, and thought about how we ourselves select our accountants, solicitors doctors and dentists etc, (mainly by personal recommendation i believe) i realised that he had a valid point.
How many times have you been given a 'bum steer' in a recommendation? Want to hear a story about a car I bought a while ago from a person who was very highly recommended by a friend? Want to hear my story about a highly recommended contractor and the 20% cost over run job (20% higher than the bid)? I have nothing against recommendations, but they aren't everything by any means.

Also check out sup_eval.pdf in the pdf_files directory for a simple evaluation form.

T

Tom Goetzinger

How many times has it been said to write your procedures the way you do them? If it is effective and works for your company, I see no problem with it.
I do think it is important that you measure their performance and have a plan and method to improve performance or replace those vendors who do not meet your standards.
As far as getting a bum steer, I'm sure that many of us can relate stories of vendors who looked good on paper and didn't end up being as good as they looked. You certainly can't always visit every supplier on a regular basis, and even if you could, you can't ALWAYS tell.

A

Andy Bassett

OK. I could actually argue the subject whichever way suited me on the day, as i am actually a big beleiver on Supplier Management, im just simply not sure that it is relevant for this particular operation.

Tom you are right it is often said that procedures should be written in the best way that suits the company, and thats what i wanted to do in this case, i was just wandering if it would pass the ISO test.

Dont we have an auditor amongst us somewhere, is it Laura? What does she think?

Regards

------------------
Andy B

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I would like to say thank you for a very timely subject. We have just started to tackle this subject, and I must agree that if this is the way supplier selection has been done, the document it as such. We are taking a similar approach. We select new suppliers based on referal's. Then we go deeper into price and delivery. The "proof" is - do they deliver an acceptable prototype when then say they will.

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Originally posted by Andy Bassett:
Dont we have an auditor amongst us somewhere, is it Laura?
Hopefully Laura will respond, however I might mention I first took the lead auditor course in 1994 and did again in 1998 as a refresher. I have also done quite a few implementations (both QS and ISO) over the last 8 years. Consider my response as one from 'an auditor'. Remember you're going to get opinions and / or the requirements of an individual registrar stated. Nowhere in ISO9001 does it specifically tell you what to do about this specific issue or exactly what is acceptable.

[This message has been edited by Marc Smith (edited 26 June 2000).]

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
as an auditor.....Ya really have to see it working.....what types of commodities? Services would work well there....I would expect to see some back up info on acceptabe performance...but would expect to see that anyway. So if someone says ok....they get used for a first time, or permenantly added to the list? So how do they get off the list? What do receiving/inspection records tell you? A whole conversation has to go on before a decision can be made, but it is a viable method.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B AS9100 8.4.1 Supplier Selection/Evaluation criteria and reevaluations AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
J IATF 16949 8.4.1.2 Supplier selection process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M Supplier selection criteria - Medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A IATF 16949 Cl. 8.4.1.2 Supplier Selection Process - assessment example IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
a_bardi Excluding ISO9001 Cl. 8.4 - Supplier Selection and Evaluation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N ISO 13485:2016 - Supplier Selection Criteria ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
B IATF 16949 Clause 8.4.1.2 - Supplier Selection Process - Service Providers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
W Supplier Selection Criteria Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
I Supplier Selection based on Total Cost question Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
L Supplier Selection and Evaluation - Raw Material Manufacturer vs. Distributor ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J API Q1 7.4.1.2 Supplier Selection Supplemental Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
A Purchasing Verification & Supplier Selection ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
H ISO 13485 Sec 7.4 - Supplier Selection, Evaluation and Re-evaluation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 20
A Supplier Selection - Assembly Activities Assessment Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
A Procedure for Supplier Selection and Performance Evaluation - Comprehensive Example Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
Sidney Vianna Should customers influence a supplier's registrar selection? Registrars and Notified Bodies 88
C Supplier Qualification/Selection and Decision Methods Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
Q Supplier Selection - ISO 9001 Clause 7.4.1 - Need Help Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
A Purchasing - Supplier Evaluation vs. Selection - What is the difference? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
G Supplier Evaluation and Selection for Electronic Parts Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
G 7.4.1. Supplier selection, evaluation and re-evaluation - McMaster, Grainger, etc. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 9
D Supplier Evaluation and Selection in the ?Service? industry Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
C Purchasing Procedure - Supplier selection, evaluation and re-evaluation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 22
Marc Supplier Selection Criteria Discussion Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
Jerry Eldred Calibration Supplier Selection - Calibration & Temperature & Work Instructions General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
L Supplier within the Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Supplier Quality - How to classify a supplier level Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
F Supplier Quality Assurance Job Openings - 8/2020 Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
P Understanding DFMEA and PFMEA - Supplier Related IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
S Can assembly manufacturing sub-supplier be certified IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M How Supplier Capacity check is done by competitors Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
C One Time Service Supplier - Temperature and Humidity Testing Service ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Supplier Audits - Stop Wasting Everyone's Time! General Auditing Discussions 15
G Supplier management when the supplier is your headquarter IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
V Supplier wants to perform pre-qualifications prior to every run instead of locking in parameters. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
D Class 3 Device - Change of supplier of material Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
D List A IVD - Change to material supplier EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J Minimum Supplier Certifications for Food Supplements Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
R Supplier/Vendor Surveys (360) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
was named killer AS9100 Supplier Approval Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
J Sub-supplier change from manual to automated process - same specs - Report to FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
M Supplier Audit Report - Template for second party audit wanted Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
T Difference between a subcontractor and a supplier ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
Ed Panek Corona Virus impact on Supplier Audits and Received Parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
NDesouza Verification of Supplier RCCAs Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
K Supply Agreement Regarding MDR 2017/745 - Manufacturer-supplier cooperation Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
L How to deal with an ISO 13485 Supplier Audit nonconformance ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
P Supplier Audits in the wake of COVID-19 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
T Ideas for developing a Supplier Quality Management System, non automotive ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
B Vendor (Supplier) Evaluations and Reports Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11