SBS - The best value in QMS software

Supplier selection criteria - Medical devices

Hello,

I am working in a start-up (no product on the market, first product still under development) and we are ISO 13485:2016 certified since early this year. During the certification audit, our auditor made an oral comment regarding our purchasing procedure : our criteria for supplier selection shall be reviewed and improved (we didn't get a deviation but a very insisting oral comment!)

Here is what is currently written in our procedure:

"The supplier is selected according to the following criteria:
The price,
The ability to meet deadlines,
The ability to meet specifications relative to the product / process or service,
The quality insurance, if appropriate (*),
The review of the quote and / or pieces of information communicated by the supplier,
The supplier’s notoriety or experience (**) and / or,
Samples testing, if judged appropriate.
If the company already worked with the company on other projects, the previous supplier/subcontractor evaluations are considered.
Supplier choice is materialized by the ordering.

(*)
The importance of quality insurance as a selective criterion is decided case by case, regarding the supply intended use, its impact on patient or user safety and the possibility to determine its compliance to expectations other than a documentary control. It makes sense that an ISO 13485 certification can be considered as essential for a subcontractor implementing cleaning, assembling and final sealing of the product. Proof of QMS certification should be made to the supplier."

I don't really know what to add here. Do you know specific guidance that could help me? I am also open to any suggestions/thoughts you may have!
Anything in compliance with FDA requirements will be a plus.

Thank you in advance
Mhalik

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

François

Involved In Discussions
Without more information regardong the comment from the auditor, it's difficult to determine what was the problem.
However, maybe your auditor would like you to have more defined requirements regarding the importance of quality as a criteria.

In our procedure we have identify 4 level of criticality for our suppliers :
- critical (critical or significative impact on Safety & Performances)
- non critical (could impair safety and performance)
- general (low impact on safety and performance)
- exempt : no direct impact on product

Based on this classification, we have different quality and control requirements.

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Agree with @François that it's difficult to comment given the information provided.

It's a bit bothersome to me that you list price as the lead-in criteria. I would hope quality would be #1. Remember: pretty much all decisions should be risk-based these days. If you're not tying your selecting / management to risk, you can expect some push-back by auditors.

How do you resolve the "if appropriate" aspects. @François gave a pretty typical grouping using risk-based criteria.

Hello,

Thank you for your replies! Sadly, the auditor did not give any other information than "this is not sufficient, your purchasing manager has to improve the selection criteria", which is why I didn't really know how to help him.
I like the idea of the criticality levels and I agree we should avoid the price as lead-criteria. Yodon, your reminder about all decisions being risk-based these days is quite accurate and I guess this is the main issue of our current criteria.
I'll work on risk-based criteria with our purchasing manager, I'll come back if your opinions can come in handy again!
Have a great week!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B AS9100 8.4.1 Supplier Selection/Evaluation criteria and reevaluations AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
N ISO 13485:2016 - Supplier Selection Criteria ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
W Supplier Selection Criteria Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
Marc Supplier Selection Criteria Discussion Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
J IATF 16949 8.4.1.2 Supplier selection process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
A IATF 16949 Cl. 8.4.1.2 Supplier Selection Process - assessment example IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
a_bardi Excluding ISO9001 Cl. 8.4 - Supplier Selection and Evaluation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
B IATF 16949 Clause 8.4.1.2 - Supplier Selection Process - Service Providers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
I Supplier Selection based on Total Cost question Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
L Supplier Selection and Evaluation - Raw Material Manufacturer vs. Distributor ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J API Q1 7.4.1.2 Supplier Selection Supplemental Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
A Purchasing Verification & Supplier Selection ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
H ISO 13485 Sec 7.4 - Supplier Selection, Evaluation and Re-evaluation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 20
A Supplier Selection - Assembly Activities Assessment Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
A Procedure for Supplier Selection and Performance Evaluation - Comprehensive Example Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
Sidney Vianna Should customers influence a supplier's registrar selection? Registrars and Notified Bodies 88
C Supplier Qualification/Selection and Decision Methods Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
Q Supplier Selection - ISO 9001 Clause 7.4.1 - Need Help Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
A Purchasing - Supplier Evaluation vs. Selection - What is the difference? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
G Supplier Evaluation and Selection for Electronic Parts Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
G 7.4.1. Supplier selection, evaluation and re-evaluation - McMaster, Grainger, etc. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 9
D Supplier Evaluation and Selection in the ?Service? industry Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
C Purchasing Procedure - Supplier selection, evaluation and re-evaluation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 22
A Supplier Selection by recommendation! Will this fly? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
Jerry Eldred Calibration Supplier Selection - Calibration & Temperature & Work Instructions General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Supplier evaluation Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
briteme4 ASL - AS9100 / Supplier Survey Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
A System for Supplier Documents Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 0
T IMDS submission without supplier's input? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 0
J Supplier not responding to PPAP request APQP and PPAP 5
D Supplier audit Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
lanley liao Does all of the suppliers need to integrated into the supplier list qualified of the company? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
S Distinction between a critical supplier and a Virtual manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R AS9102 FAI Change in Material / Process Supplier AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
John Broomfield Five ways to botch your supplier management program Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
C Supplier survey - 200 to 250 duppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
J Where is the definition of a critical supplier? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
U Approved Vendor (supplier) List Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
M Supplier requirements - Major supplier is a Non-Profit registered with ICCBBA (FDA UDI) Supply Chain Security Management Systems 12
P Training department ideas and development for automotive supplier Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
B Software service provider as critical supplier ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
T AS9100D Clause 10.2.1g Supplier Corrective Action for each and every nonconformity? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S Supplier protocol for the Quality Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
A API Spec Q1 Purchasing Process - Supplier Reevaluation based on Supplier Risks 5.6.1.4 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 17
D Approved supplier list - Distributors question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
G Supplier delivered recent PPAP, should he deliver yearly layout inspection? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
E ISO 13485 QMS certification as a Supplier ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
G Supplier doesn't share drawings IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
S Use of raw materials by two supplier CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
D Are Supplier Quality Agreements Quality Records ? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 9