Supplier Trust Issues

InspectorGadget

Registered
Hi, I'd like to get some input/opinions on an issue I need to resolve.
We recently onboarded a new supplier and had them produce a qualifying lot of product. We ordered an AS9102 FAIR which they did not supply with the parts. When asked they produced the FAIR but it was missing all objective evidence (test results, certs, etc.). They eventually produced some of those documents and immediately we noticed issues. Show-stopper issues. Gross non-conformities, not administrative errors. We rejected the FAIR and listed the discrepancies. They then produced different documents that implied the output met requirements. Their claim was, "we gave you the wrong ones".

There is a longer list of issues with the FAIR and the supplier but, I find it hard to believe that the majority of the documentation pointed to issues (expired chemicals, incorrect chemistry, etc.) then miraculously, not one document but all of them, were replaced with the "correct" ones. It strains credibility that they got all the docs wrong on the first time. Simply put, I don't trust them, and would just as soon reject the delivery and cancel the subsequent order that was awaiting FA acceptance. However, I'm open to thoughts on ways I could have them verify their claims.
Thanks for your insight.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Do they know what an AS9102 FAIR is? Have they done them before? Could it be they don’t understand what your requirements are? Have you or anyone visited them? How did you qualify them for the initial order?

Johnny Quality

Quite Involved in Discussions
Request a meeting at their site. You can't continue this conversation over email or on the phone. This is most likely either incompetence or a misunderstanding.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
This is most likely either incompetence or a misunderstanding.
Dishonesty pure and simple is the most likely cause from the description. Either cheating or incompetence that should lead to disqualification. Allowing an unscrupulous supplier in your AVL is a disaster waiting to happen.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Unless for some reason you have no choice but to deal with this supplier, I'd say they failed their test, bye-bye.

InspectorGadget

Registered
Thanks for the input. To answer a few of the questions posed.
We qualified them via QMS survey and the fact they held AS9100 certification. That too was sketchy. They have a current cert on their web page but OASIS says they are expired. They couldn't explain that. They represented that they were very familiar w/ AS9102 FAIRs but clearly are not. They are a commodity level supplier, so we have no self-serving need to accept them. Oh, and what I didn't mention in the OP. They outsourced the work without our knowledge. It's really a no-brainer but, I wanted to see what ideas people had to objectively verify their processes and potentially salvage the order. I think it's safe to say the supplier had no chance of being promoted past conditional acceptance on our ASL (AVL).
Cheers and Happy Friday!

Top Bottom