Support function definition

Blaz123

Involved In Discussions
Hi all,

could you please help me, what does Support function really means?

This is definition out of IATF:

Support function

Non-production activity (conducted on site or at a remote location) that supports one (or more) manufacturing sites of the same organization

But in real life, what word support in upper definition really mean? What kind of support must be received, that we can talk about support function?

AMIT BALLAL

Super Moderator

Blaz123

Involved In Discussions
Hi Amit,

thanks for reply.

But again, what does support really mean? Is support, that support function provide you manuals, blank forms, process definition,... Or is support already this, that you send them an email, where are you asking them for some help and the `support function` help you on some issue.

AMIT BALLAL

Super Moderator
IMHO, for IATF other than manufacturing, all other processes can be considered support processes. E.g. Purchasing, stores, maintenance, etc.

Support "function" word is used, when such support process is located at another plant. If you receive certain help on any issue for the time being, it is not counted as a support function. But if another plant is responsible for carrying out a certain activity, that plant is considered a Supporting location and that activity is called a support function (If that plant is already certified/seeking certification to IATF16949:2016. If not, it is considered as remote support & location). If you show such support during IATF certification, it means that the plant will be audited for that support, not your plant.

Blaz123

Involved In Discussions
In our case, we are corporate company, where our division has own purchase process which is more or less independent, than we also have corporate purchase. Everything related to our division purchase is managed by our own purchase department, process of purchase is defined by us, supplier manuals are defined by us, suppliers are selected and evaluated by us, price negotiations are done by us....But in other case, we receive some documentation which we need to use from corporate purchase and some KPIs must be reported to corporate purchase. Is this then support function for us or not?

AMIT BALLAL

Super Moderator
In such a case It's up to you to decide whether to show "Corporate purchase" support or not since your plant is responsible to comply with all requirements (as per the details shared by you).
If there were some requirements being met by such a corporate purchase function, then it would've been needed to show such support, which doesn't seem as needed in your case.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
In our case, we are corporate company, where our division has own purchase process which is more or less independent, than we also have corporate purchase. Everything related to our division purchase is managed by our own purchase department, process of purchase is defined by us, supplier manuals are defined by us, suppliers are selected and evaluated by us, price negotiations are done by us....But in other case, we receive some documentation which we need to use from corporate purchase and some KPIs must be reported to corporate purchase. Is this then support function for us or not?

For IATF, in my opinion ,yes. In the overall QMS process map, communication flows with central procurement should be evidenced.

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Leader
Super Moderator
From a high level Support executes pre defined plans and makes tactical (not strategic) decisions to meet objectives.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
To me, the phrase "non-production activity" in the IATF covers it. Or one may look at Lean and "non-value-added". Such as:

I googled "What are the 3 types of activities in lean?" and it replied:

To help identify areas of waste, a common practice is to break down a process, grouping activities into three categories:
  • Value-Added Activities;
  • Necessary Non Value-Added Activities;
  • Waste.
For myself (and my role as a support activity) was primarily in the Necessary evil category. Though some of my activities - IF IMPLEMENTED - could add value.

So I'd put anyone who does not actually touch or manipulate the product are Support. Procurement, HR, Quality, Safety, Planners, Schedulers, Financials would be support. One could even put management in the support category. Anyone who is in support should be able to state what their role is in adding value (or preventing loss of value) to the product, in my opinion.

Top Bottom