Surface Finish - What is the meaning of the term ?LAY??

J

JaySturgeon

Surface Finish - What is the meaning of the term “LAY”?

I have a question for the forum. I have never heard the term “LAY” used with regards to surface measurement before. Can anyone enlighten me to it’s meaning and use when applied to surface measurement.

I would greatly appreciate all your input.

Thanks........

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
E

energy

Re: Surface Finish

JaySturgeon said:

I have a question for the forum. I have never heard the term “LAY” used with regards to surface measurement before. Can anyone enlighten me to it’s meaning and use when applied to surface measurement.

I would greatly appreciate all your input.

Thanks........
Jay,

Being curious because I heard the term uses also, I did a quick search on the Internet and found the following information. It appears that "lay" is the direction the grain is running. Hope it helps. You can do what I did. Do Google or Altavista and type Surface Finish Lay. Have a good one.
:bigwave:

aSurfaceFinish
SetLayDirection

Sets the lay direction for the surface finish.

HRESULT SetLayDirection(long direction)

Arguments
direction - [in]
The lay direction for surface finish.

Description
Call this function to set the lay direction for the surface finish.

The following values are supported for direction:

LayDirection Value
aSurfaceFinish_none 0
aSurfaceFinish_parallel 1
aSurfaceFinish_perpendicular 2
aSurfaceFinish_crossed 0
aSurfaceFinish_multiDirectional 1
aSurfaceFinish_circular 2
aSurfaceFinish_radial 2

See Also
Use aSurfaceFinish::GetLayDirection to get the lay direction.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:smokin:

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Jay,

I've found SF can be a complex and confusing measurement. While it may not address "lay", nevertheless there was a good article on SF in the August 2001 "Quality Magazine". It might be available on their web site. Also, I've found the folks at Federal Products (now Mahr Federal) to be helpful and knowledgable on SF issues if you call or e-mail them. Just in case you need more info. in the future... :bigwave:

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

The Machinery's Handbook (sorry, I've only got the 23rd edition) has a chart for Surface Finish Lay on page 710. It's pretty self-explanatory.

Bill

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Gear Surface Finish - Print with the word "calibrated" Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
8 Surface Finish - Callout as 8 - 16 Rq Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
GoKats78 Callout on Surface Finish General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
S Difference between Surface Finish (Ra) and Flatness (GD&T) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
Proud Liberal Surface finish measurement (roughness) - Rz under the ISO standard vs ANSI standard Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
Proud Liberal Measuring axial and radial surface finish (16 Rz) on a broached internal radius Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
B Surface Finish Equipment MSA (Measurement System Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
kedarg6500 Surface Finish Measurement Methods Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
P Surface Finish measurement for machined (finished) component/part Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
J Definition Standards for Dimensions and Surface Finish on a Rod Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 11
A Is it mandatory to have a profilometer to inspect >16 surface finish? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
T Interpretation of Surface Finish Specification Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
D Surface Finish Inspection Company (Laboratory) (Detroit area) needed Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
A Conducting a DOE in Minitab - Improving Surface Finish of an Impeller Using Minitab Software 10
N PCB (medical device) Surface Finish Selection. Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S Surface Finish - Conversion factor to transform Rz Jis in Rz Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
N MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) for Surface Finish Equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
P Inner Diameter Surface Finish Ra Value vs. Surface Finish Graph Output Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
ScottK Inspecting surface finish on SS on a piece that can't be measured with current equip. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
ScottK Surface Finish on machined brass (or other metals)- Attribute or Variable inspection? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
ScottK Measuring Capability on a One Sided Variable (Surface Finish) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 17
W Surface Finish parameters - Mechanical stylus based testing of a cylindrical part Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
W Surface Finish Measurement Technique Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
T Surface Finish Requirements (Ra 150) for Blasted Titanium Surfaces Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
J Surface Finish Tester Recommendations with both Ra and Rz (english and metric) scales Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Ron Rompen Conversion of surface finish measurements Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
U How to do Gage R&Rs on Surface Finish Gages Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
Geoff Cotton Surface Finish - G5 - Where is this from and how can I measure it? Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
Marc Surface Finish Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
J The best way to define a surface finish General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
D Air Gauging: Are the results affected by surface finish of the bore? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
D Calibration of Digital thermometer with surface probe General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
R Design and Manufacture Guidelines for Surface Mount Technology Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 9
M Active Surface Disinfectant Claims - FDA vs EPA and Hands vs Objects Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
P Gas Nitriding Surface Hardening of Stainless Steel 304 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
N Creepage - Does a surface mount isolator body negate a PCB slot? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
CCaantley Where to get a good test indicator stand for a granite surface plate General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
M Interesting Discussion Surface Cleanliness Real Time Test Tools General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
P Romer Arm - Profile of a Surface Changing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R Reporting Profile of a surface with U modifier Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
S Response Surface Method to create design matrix in Minitab Using Minitab Software 5
B Profile of a Surface Callout on this Drawing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
O Can a Profile of a Surface have a Diameter Symbol? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
Q Surface Roughness - Conversion of RS on a Print to RZ General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
S ARP 1820 Surface Contamination Testing Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
N Projection welding of nuts on zinc coated surface Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
K Can a Surface of a profile be applied to a feature of size? GD&T questions Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
alonFAI Component Failure (Relay) during ICT Testing after Surface Mount Assembly Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
W Profilometer Surface Roughness Tester Issue - Ball Bearings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
H Stainless Steel Surface Quality for Ophthalmic Surgical Device Other Medical Device Related Standards 11