Surface Roughness - Conversion of RS on a Print to RZ

qcman

Registered Visitor
Hope this is the correct place for this. I have a Honda surface roughness spec of RS 6 um max called out on a print per JIS B 0651 for a functional extrusion part. Does anyone know of a conversion chart or know the conversion of RS to RZ?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

JeantheBigone

Quite Involved in Discussions
First off, here is a conversion chart that I've found useful.

http://www.csbslidingbearings.com/uploads/1/5/6/9/15694310/surface_roughness.pdf

Second, RS is not a common parameter for describing surface roughness. I've seen it equated to "RMS" http://www.engineersedge.com/surface_finish.htm
but also to the mean spacing between peaks.
http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr549.pdf
Then there is an indication that Rs may be the same as Ra from early days of measurement. I've posted an image from George VanderVoort's book "Applied Metallography."

I wish I could give you a definitive answer. Is there any more information you might be able to provide? Age of the drawing? A shot of the callout?

Attachments

qcman

Registered Visitor
All customers requiring surface roughness measurements ask for it in RZ except this one. I did find one conversion chart but the conversion number from RS to RZ didn't seem right. Our normal RZ readings on similar extrusions is between 1.45 - 2.90. I have attached the chart I found as well as the spec call out / procedure last updated in 1989. Thank you for the links and time.

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Proud Liberal Surface finish measurement (roughness) - Rz under the ISO standard vs ANSI standard Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
W Profilometer Surface Roughness Tester Issue - Ball Bearings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
K How to Calculate Sample Size at 95% Confidence Interval on Surface Roughness Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
J Looking for a Calibration Facility for a Surface Roughness Tester General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
B Surface Roughness Tester Acceptance Criteria Calibration Frequency (Interval) 4
P I need to Borrow or Hire a Surface Roughness (Ra) Measuring Equipment Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
S Measuring Scratches with a Surface Roughness Tester General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
G Standard to use as a guide in measuring surface "roughness" of aluminum tubing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
P Portable Surface Roughness Tester Calibration Question (SPI model 14-514-4) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Accredited Surface Roughness Measurement - Requirement for 1Ra surfaces General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
S Correct Length to Measure Surface Roughness Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
I The difference between Rz and Rz3 Surface Roughness Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
Jerry Eldred Calibrating Mitutoyo SJ-201P Surface Roughness Testers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
C Standard for surface roughness on hot rolled steel Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
Q Curve Surface Roughness Measurement & Converting Ra to Rz General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
S Surface Roughness Testing - Comparison of models for measuring Ra, Rmax, Rt, Rz Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
R Surface Roughness - What is difference between Ra, Rmax & Rt Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
P What is "Cut off Length" in Surface roughness tester Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
K Honda Surface Roughness Callout (ex. 12.5S) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
J Gear Surface Finish - Print with the word "calibrated" Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
R Design and Manufacture Guidelines for Surface Mount Technology Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
8 Surface Finish - Callout as 8 - 16 Rq Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M Active Surface Disinfectant Claims - FDA vs EPA and Hands vs Objects Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
GoKats78 Callout on Surface Finish General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
P Gas Nitriding Surface Hardening of Stainless Steel 304 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Difference between Surface Finish (Ra) and Flatness (GD&T) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
N Creepage - Does a surface mount isolator body negate a PCB slot? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
CCaantley Where to get a good test indicator stand for a granite surface plate General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
M Interesting Discussion Surface Cleanliness Real Time Test Tools General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
P Romer Arm - Profile of a Surface Changing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R Reporting Profile of a surface with U modifier Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
S Response Surface Method to create design matrix in Minitab Using Minitab Software 5
Proud Liberal Measuring axial and radial surface finish (16 Rz) on a broached internal radius Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
B Profile of a Surface Callout on this Drawing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
O Can a Profile of a Surface have a Diameter Symbol? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
S ARP 1820 Surface Contamination Testing Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
N Projection welding of nuts on zinc coated surface Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
K Can a Surface of a profile be applied to a feature of size? GD&T questions Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
alonFAI Component Failure (Relay) during ICT Testing after Surface Mount Assembly Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
H Stainless Steel Surface Quality for Ophthalmic Surgical Device Other Medical Device Related Standards 11
J Profile of Surface with Basics and Angle Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
E Help me with Surface Plate Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
G Generally accepted Tolerance for Surface Reflectance Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
M Please help to analyze Response Surface Methodology by using Minitab 16 Using Minitab Software 6
T Variation in values of the levels in Factorial/Response surface design Using Minitab Software 1
B Surface Finish Equipment MSA (Measurement System Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
R When a Part Print specifies 10 Rmax on a Surface - Rmax Settings & Standards? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
kedarg6500 Surface Finish Measurement Methods Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
C Mitutoyo SJ210 Settings - Is there an Industry Standard Surface Measurement Setting? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
L Flat Surface Granite Table Calibration Requirements Calibration Frequency (Interval) 16