Surprise! American ISPs to launch massive copyright spying scheme on July 12

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Elsmar Forum Sponsor
T

True Position

While truthful, the most likely actual outcome will be the ISPs will have a new tool to use to try and get rid of their small percentage of users who consume the majority of bandwidth and a blind eye will be turned to the majority of users.

As you point out, they already can do all this tracking and do. After a few lawsuit losses regarding packet shaping and the possible loss of their common carrier status they needed a new method to increase profits without spending more on infrastructure.

If you're the occasional movie/song pirate, almost certainly you'll be ignored.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I have no idea. Personally I don't mind being tracked and such. I even prefer targeted ads on web sites.

When we did the server migration I thought about making this an SSL site, but decided against it because there's nothing going on here worth encrypting.

I was surprised, though, that ISPs were finally getting in bed with the RIAA and the MPAA to this extent (which is why I posted it here).

T

True Position

I have no idea. Personally I don't mind being tracked and such. I even prefer targeted ads on web sites.

When we did the server migration I thought about making this an SSL site, but decided against it because there's nothing going on here worth encrypting.

I was surprised, though, that ISPs were finally getting in bed with the RIAA and the MPAA to this extent (which is why I posted it here).
Comcast/etc wants to get rid of a small percentage of their users, these users are often media pirates. The enforcement will be bias towards these users. Previous attempts to go after these users have caused legal trouble. It's all about profit.

The ISPs don't care about piracy, they care about a percentage of heavy bandwidth users. (Excluding the ISPs which are also large content producers, such as divisions of Time Warner)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Comcast/etc wants to get rid of a small percentage of their users, these users are often media pirates. The enforcement will be bias towards these users. Previous attempts to go after these users have caused legal trouble. It's all about profit.

The ISPs don't care about piracy, they care about a percentage of heavy bandwidth users. (Excluding the ISPs which are also large content producers, such as divisions of Time Warner)
I agree. In order for the big ISPs to agree to this kind of thing, there had to be something in it for them. What's in it for them is a way to deal with the relative few customers who are using big chunks of bandwidth. It's a Pareto kind of thing.

ETA: The strategy also has the salutary effect (to benefit the RIAA) of scaring the people who are only occasional "pirates" into acquiescing.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Medical Device Notified Body Surprise Audits Required in 2014 EU Medical Device Regulations 31
J Surprise - And Hello - Just Checking In Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 20
Marc No proof airport security makes flying safer - Surprise? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 8
C Quality at Toyota - Story of the Week - Toyota Closes in on GM (A Surprise?) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 24
Howard Atkins Surprise audits by registrars ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Q Buy American Act - COTS confusion Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
R Standards Data Forms (form 3654) - American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
AshleyE AWS (American Welding Society) D17.1 & D17.2 Welding - Looking for help AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
A API (American Petroleum Institute) Design Package Content Requirements Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
S Can these Quality Policy Statements be used in our American and Canadian sites Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
B American Petroleum Institute's API Q1 Standard NINTH Edition Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 21
T Are GRE words useful in American daily life? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 19
Stijloor American airports don't rank very well. Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 13
somashekar BAA (Buy American Act) and the future of Asian Economy Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 15
MarilynJ6354 American Global Standards Virtual Registrar ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Marc Dave Brubeck dies at 91 - American jazz pianist World News 3
R What is better ASQ or QA (Quality American ) Certifications? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 3
B RIP - Sally Ride - first American woman in space dead at 61 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
J MSA Emergency - PV%=100(PV/TOL)in American? And that is correct? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
Marc Thoughts and Opinions about the ASQ (American Society for Quality) ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 34
Marc U.S. expatriates pursue American dream in China Immigration and Expatriate Topics 2
M The 50 Greatest American Independent Movies Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
K (AQI) American Quality Institute and ASQ (American Society for Quality) - Differences ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 3
A American Global Standards Virtual Cert Program for ISO 9001 Registrars and Notified Bodies 12
Marc "This American Life" reveals original Coca-Cola recipe World News 0
K What is an ARA (American Recovery Act) document? Customer Requirement Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
R Finding an ADA (American Dental Association) Standard Testing Laboratory Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
Marc An American Safety Institute Message Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 0
L API (American Petroleum Institute) Monogram - Applying and Removal Process Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
K ABS (American Bureau of Shipping)/BV (Bureau Veritas) certification? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 10
A Latest APHA (American Public Health Association) 17th Edition methods Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
A Tracking Revision Status of External Documents - International and American Standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
Marc American swine flu cases climb to 40 - 27 April 2009 World News 22
Z Names or Contacts for American Injection Molding Companies Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 8
O API (American Petroleum Institute) Q1 - Anyone familiar with this standard? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 16
Marc Andrew Wyeth, American Painter, Dies At 91 World News 0
Marc Bark beetles kill millions of acres of trees in the American West World News 1
Jim Wynne Yet another reason not to join the ASQ (American Society for Quality) ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 166
Stijloor ASQ's (American Society for Quality) Next Big Thing...... ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 16
H Anyone here with experience with American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC) Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
B Large North American Registrar up for sale/merger Registrars and Notified Bodies 39
ScottK 2007 ASQ (American Society for Quality) Salary Survey - Figure 1 on page 31 Career and Occupation Discussions 7
H API (American Petroleum Institute) Spec Q1 Manual - Looking for samples Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
Stijloor North American Automotive Quality Core Tool Certification Program Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
Jim Wynne London is ready for some (American) football Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 23
Marc How do you tell which car is more American? World News 0
P Recent article from the BBC website (American Automotive) World News 20
D Hospital Infection Rates - American Journal of Infection Control Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 4
J Why American Companies in the Automobile Arena are Losing Money? World News 26
G Nissan Supplier Website - They do NOT have a North American supplier web portal Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2