Surprise! American ISPs to launch massive copyright spying scheme on July 12

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
T

True Position

While truthful, the most likely actual outcome will be the ISPs will have a new tool to use to try and get rid of their small percentage of users who consume the majority of bandwidth and a blind eye will be turned to the majority of users.

As you point out, they already can do all this tracking and do. After a few lawsuit losses regarding packet shaping and the possible loss of their common carrier status they needed a new method to increase profits without spending more on infrastructure.

If you're the occasional movie/song pirate, almost certainly you'll be ignored.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I have no idea. Personally I don't mind being tracked and such. I even prefer targeted ads on web sites.

When we did the server migration I thought about making this an SSL site, but decided against it because there's nothing going on here worth encrypting.

I was surprised, though, that ISPs were finally getting in bed with the RIAA and the MPAA to this extent (which is why I posted it here).

T

True Position

I have no idea. Personally I don't mind being tracked and such. I even prefer targeted ads on web sites.

When we did the server migration I thought about making this an SSL site, but decided against it because there's nothing going on here worth encrypting.

I was surprised, though, that ISPs were finally getting in bed with the RIAA and the MPAA to this extent (which is why I posted it here).

Comcast/etc wants to get rid of a small percentage of their users, these users are often media pirates. The enforcement will be bias towards these users. Previous attempts to go after these users have caused legal trouble. It's all about profit.

The ISPs don't care about piracy, they care about a percentage of heavy bandwidth users. (Excluding the ISPs which are also large content producers, such as divisions of Time Warner)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Comcast/etc wants to get rid of a small percentage of their users, these users are often media pirates. The enforcement will be bias towards these users. Previous attempts to go after these users have caused legal trouble. It's all about profit.

The ISPs don't care about piracy, they care about a percentage of heavy bandwidth users. (Excluding the ISPs which are also large content producers, such as divisions of Time Warner)

I agree. In order for the big ISPs to agree to this kind of thing, there had to be something in it for them. What's in it for them is a way to deal with the relative few customers who are using big chunks of bandwidth. It's a Pareto kind of thing.

ETA: The strategy also has the salutary effect (to benefit the RIAA) of scaring the people who are only occasional "pirates" into acquiescing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom