Surprise - And Hello - Just Checking In

J

JRKH

Hello All,
The other day, to my surprise, I received a "friend request" from CarolX. It reminded me of my old friends here at the Cove and so I decided to post a quick hello and update.

Some will remember that I left my Job to care for my Dear Wife who has Alzheimers. That was in May of '07. Well two years into the journey, our struggles continue.
The first year was not too bad. We even attended her 50th high school reunion all the way up in Duluth MN. Had a great time. Even got to visit the house where she grew up.
Since then things have been in a prestty steady decline. At present she is physically pretty good, able to walk and so forth but pretty much "situationally unaware" and unable to form coherent sentences. She also hallucinates some, and was in the hospital for a couple of weks in January for this.
Since then she has been going to a Senior Day Care several times a week which gives me some down time and a chance to get things done. We call it her "work" and I tell her I'm going to work from there. Since she was a psych nurse for many years, this seems to help some.
The Center is absolutely Great!!! Wonderful caring people who work with her and "meet her where she is" in regards to moods and things like that. It gets her tired and she sleeps well at night.

Anyway just wanted to touch base.
Attached are two pictures - a beautiful portrait of my Lady from about 1977 or so, (Any doubt why I fell in Love with her???) and then a snap of us on a tour boat during the reunion two years ago.

Peace
James

Attachments

• Surprise - And Hello - Just Checking In
    Duluth Trip041.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 211
  • Surprise - And Hello - Just Checking In
    1979 - KAK.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 261

GStough

Leader
Super Moderator
Hello James! :bigwave:

Thank you for posting and giving us an update. Those are great photos, indeed, it's no wonder why you fell in love with your Lady! ;)

Alzheimers' is a dreadful thing and takes its toll on the caregivers. Respites such as the day center are godsends and I'm glad that you are able to take advantage of one in your area. Sounds like it's good for both of you. :)

Please, stop by and visit anytime you can or feel inclined. Yours is definitely a welcome face!

Best of everything to you and your Lady....

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
James,

Thanks for sharing your story. I do not know what to say...

Please come back. Many Covers care...

Best to you!

Stijloor. (Jan).

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Good to hear from you! Like everyone else, it's hard for me to respond, to know what to say. You are a saint. My best wishes and do stay in touch from time to time. We all miss your presence here.

D

db

James, I will join the others in saying this is a pleasant surprise! I do think of you often. I know all about being a caregiver, and I pray for your emotional and physical strength. We all do miss you.

Continue to take care, and stop back in anytime!

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
James, we've all missed you and are so happy that you decided to stop by! My prayers are with you and your family. Don't be a stranger, I know that time is probably hard to find, but we love to see you around.

P

Phil Fields

James, my comments are the same as the other. I will keep your beautiful wife in my prayers.

Phil

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
thanks for the update

I spent two years as a caregiver for my mom - you have my sympathy and respect

As Molly in the old Fibber McGee and Molly show used to say,
"Taint easy, McGee!"

J

JRKH

thanks for the update

I spent two years as a caregiver for my mom - you have my sympathy and respect

As Molly in the old Fibber McGee and Molly show used to say,
"Taint easy, McGee!"

I LOVE Fibber and McGee !!!! I think I still have some tapes around of their old shows that I recorded years ago off of public radio here in Cinci.

No it certainly isn't easy, but I'm blessed in having had a good example set by my parents. We lost my dad to ALZ in April of '06. Mom was able to keep him at home the whole time with the help of family, health aides and eventually Hospice. Can't say enough good things about the hospice folks she used. :agree1:

The interesting thing about this journey is how much one learns about Love, patience, forebearance, grit and determination. I think I've learned more about myself in the last 2 years on this journey than I learned the whole rest of my life.

I decided to add some pictures of my Lady HERE
Enjoy.
Peace
James

Last edited by a moderator:

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Welcome back James. I remember you for the kind words of encouragement when I first joined this forum back in 2005.

Like the others, I am at a lost of words - so here's me wishing you and your lady all the best.

Top Bottom