Surprising shoe policies for Class 7 Cleanrooms

normhowe

Involved In Discussions
We are manufacturing implantable devices for a clinical trial. The product will be terminally sterilized but will be manufactured in a class 7 cleanroom. Production policy is that booties are NOT required in the cleanroom. Workers can wear street shoes into the cleanroom. This seems surprising.

We are also told by medical personnel that operating room policy is typically that OR personnel wear street shoes in the OR where the device would be implanted. Again, this seems surprising.

Would really appreciated any comments or insights on these two surprising [to me] policies.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Raisin picker

Quite Involved in Discussions
Operating room policy varies between countries and clinics. The strictest rules so far I've observed at Semmelweis university (Budapest), but that comes with the name ;-)
I've always reveiced OR shoes (or, rarely, single use shoe covers). Cleaning of the OR shoes, however, ranged from never to daily ...

Typically, in the OR, clean air is coming from above the table, and drawn away at the bottom, so contamination from the shoes to the field of operation is unlikely (but still possible).

Can't talk about cleanrooms, have only been to one so far.

Well, things might be a bit different when you talk about IOLs or something similar (very short surgery under local anesthesia).

Zero_yield

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
Hello! Fellow terminally sterilized implantables manufacturer. We do wear street shoes in our controlled environment with two single-use shoe covers. Some ancillary production areas use one single-use shoe cover or none, depending on risk.

To be fair, we tend to be fairly lose about controls for objects on the floors (like ergonomic mats at workstations), because any product that's dropped on the floor is rejected without question.

Not knowing all your controls, a couple things I would think about when assessing the need for shoe covers:

-Does your clean room struggle to stay in spec with particulate? Do you have problems with complaints for particular, or yield fallout for particulate during cosmetic inspections?
-How frequently are your floors cleaned?
-Is there a requirement to reject all product that touches the floor? Are there adequate controls / resources in place to allow this to happen (racks, tables, etc.)?
-What weather / environmental conditions do you have to deal with (i.e., are technicians tracking gobs of mud in during a rainy season)?

normhowe

Involved In Discussions
Hello! Fellow terminally sterilized implantables manufacturer. We do wear street shoes in our controlled environment with two single-use shoe covers. Some ancillary production areas use one single-use shoe cover or none, depending on risk.

To be fair, we tend to be fairly lose about controls for objects on the floors (like ergonomic mats at workstations), because any product that's dropped on the floor is rejected without question.

Not knowing all your controls, a couple things I would think about when assessing the need for shoe covers:

-Does your clean room struggle to stay in spec with particulate? Do you have problems with complaints for particular, or yield fallout for particulate during cosmetic inspections?
-How frequently are your floors cleaned?
-Is there a requirement to reject all product that touches the floor? Are there adequate controls / resources in place to allow this to happen (racks, tables, etc.)?
-What weather / environmental conditions do you have to deal with (i.e., are technicians tracking gobs of mud in during a rainy season)?
Thanks for your insights. Just to be sure, You wear covers over your street shoes?

normhowe

Involved In Discussions
Operating room policy varies between countries and clinics. The strictest rules so far I've observed at Semmelweis university (Budapest), but that comes with the name ;-)
I've always reveiced OR shoes (or, rarely, single use shoe covers). Cleaning of the OR shoes, however, ranged from never to daily ...

Typically, in the OR, clean air is coming from above the table, and drawn away at the bottom, so contamination from the shoes to the field of operation is unlikely (but still possible).

Can't talk about cleanrooms, have only been to one so far.

Well, things might be a bit different when you talk about IOLs or something similar (very short surgery under local anesthesia).
I was in Budapest recently. I knew it was a beautiful city, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Zero_yield

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
Thanks for your insights. Just to be sure, You wear covers over your street shoes?
Yes, we wear covers over street shoes in the controlled environments. We are able to stay within the requirements of an ISO Class 7 environment with this setup.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sidney Vianna Telecommunication customers question the value of TL-9000 certificates. Surprising? TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 4
J Shoe Covers - medical device class I EU Medical Device Regulations 3
R ISO 27001 Mandatory Policies , Procedures and Records IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
A Awareness of Guidance and Policies - how do you keep track? Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
Enghabashy Supply chain main policies ,scope, risk assessments & relavant KPI Supply Chain Security Management Systems 2
C Subsidiaries; same/different Quality Policies? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
N ISO 9001: 2015 - Example standards policies, procedures, acknowledgements and checklists ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M Medical Device News FDA's Policies and Procedures Should Better Address Postmarket Cybersecurity Risk to Medical Devices Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
A Policies Mandatory or essential for ISO 27001 implementation IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 6
D AS9100D 7.3 Awareness of customers quality policies AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 18
M Definition of Other Policies in the Quality Policy Document IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
C QMS Policy vs Process/discipline policies ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
x-files Standpoints about integration of Policies & Manuals ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
W Who in your company writes your policies, procedures, specifications etc. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
J Non Conformance Area Policies Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
D Company Information Sheet of Company Policies Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
J Add Safety Policies/LOTO/etc. to Controlled Documents? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
W Quality Policy in Company - Different Policies at different Sites ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
C Do EU policies dictate Nutritional Product Marketing Content? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Q Food Safety related Procedures and Policies - Examples wanted Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
V Defining Policies and Standards for In-License of Products US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
Q Corrective Action Documents - Numbering Records and Policies? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
M Customer Audit and Access Policies Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
M List of Policies for an Operating Theatre Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 1
B Where do policies fit in the setting up of a Quality Management System (QMS)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
V Factors Influencing Implementation of Risk Management Policies ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
H Procedure or Program and Policies for Hosting Third Party Inspections Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
A Policies and Procedures are required but what is the reason? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
A Developing HR (Human Resources) Policies ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
C Integrating Multiple Company Policies such Quality and an Environmental Policy ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
E Financial Revenue Policies and Procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
E Where to put QMS Definitions, e.g. forms, policies, etc ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
B Policies, SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures) and WIs (Work Instructions) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
B Defining Responsibilities - Author and Owner Policies Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
S How to show that policies are properly communicated & Training Effectiveness ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M The Quality "Policy" - How does it differ from other company policies? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 31
S Suppliers & Sub-Contractors not aware of our environmental policies and procedures ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 7
S Packaged ISO Systems - Are canned policies and procedures worth it? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 49
J Coming up with initial policies sufficient to get everyone headed on the right track ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Instructions for writing Policies that support a QMS Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 14
G Making everyone follow documentation (document control) policies Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
S Do you control your policies with control numbers? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
Le Chiffre HR (Human Resources) Manual Content and Policies Career and Occupation Discussions 3
Q How does your company deploy new policies, methods and or procedures? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
M Are Medical Policies referenced in the Quality Manual? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
I How are Policies Classified, Implemented and Maintained? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Looking for FAA specs - C.A.S.E. - Air Carrier Section Policies and Procedures Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 11
W Warranty Procedures and policies - software? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
G Can Work Instructions be audited? 'Local' vs. Corporate policies and procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
C Email and Web Access Policies Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3