Surveillance Audits - Annual or Semi Annual?

S

SteelWoman

I'm toying with the idea of going to annual surveillance audits with my registrar rather than semi-annual. We recently sold a large part of our operation to a competitor and are now about 1/4th the size of what we used to be. As part of that process we merged ISO14001 into our TS program and I now have responsibility for both.

I can see pros and cons of both semi-annual and annual, but I wonder what your folks experience has been with this issue?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

Mike Smith

My thoughts

We recently had this same discussion at management review. As you said, there are pros and cons for both sides. Our ultimate decision was to keep doing semi-annual audits for one reason. It ensures everyone stays on top of things. If we were to go to annual audits, people tend to slack off. We are also ISO-14001 and TS16949. We do not combine our audits. We have a surveillance audit every three months for one or the other. This ensures we do not have time to slack off.

S

SteelWoman

Yeah, I'm planning to present it to our MRT as an option. If we do it, I'm thinking :

Internal Audit to both programs
3 months later Surveillance Audit to ISO14
3 months later Internal Audit to both programs
3 months later Surveillance Audit to TS

Like you said, it'd keep us auditing SOMETHING every 3 months, which I like, and auditing BOTH programs every 6 months.

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
I would stick to semi-annual. Check with your registrar, it will more than likely end up being the same number of days or even more if you go yearly. The culture of your organization will also make the difference.

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
If you are looking at it for cost savings, the only place you might save is with auditor airfare (1 trip vs. 2). The number of audit days is mandated in the "rules" document anyway. I personally lean toward the more frequent audits for the same reasons mentioned above.

S

SteelWoman

Nope, not looking at cost savings - I'm aware that audit day requirements don't change. There's just a lot of turmoil in this industry right now, and lots of change, and I'm looking to give us a little more time to react to those changes.

So far I've heard from Covers who do semi-annuals, like me. Anyone out there who does Annuals? I'd like to hear from your side, your experience.

M

mshell

I am trying to decide whether do do annual or semi-annual as well. I am with a new company and we are scheduled to go through our certification audit in February of 05'.

Past experience tells me to go with semi-annual as the last company that I worked was on an annual schedule and they were not committed to ISO (we became certified because the corporate office said so). So every time an auditor was scheduled to come in, the majority of the employees (other managers) spent the month prior to the visit running around like chickens with their heads cut off trying to get ready.
The company that I work for now is a lot different as all of the employees are committed to ISO and doing things the right way and we could probably go to an annual schedule with little or no problem.

V

Viki N.

Good Morning,

I'm very interested in this thread subject. We currently have 2 plants. Both are ISO 9001-2000 certified and the one is also ISO 13488-1996 (working to ISO 13485-2003).

We have been seriously thinking about going with yearly audits for ISO 9001-2000 as that system seems to be going well, and we have been ISO certified since 1995. We do, however, have the same concerns regarding slacking off by the group that would handle the internal audits/non-conformances, etc.

I will be following all the comments/point of views closely. Thanks much.

Viki

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
A few weeks ago I was asked to do a contract internal audit for a company that is certified to 13485:1996. They have been doing annual internal audits, followed by their annual 3rd party audits about a month later. My impression was that they don't really live the requirements for most of the year, then they get overwhelmed with a large laundry list of things to take action on once a year.

I suspect that they may have trouble with their surveillance audit next week, since many of the corrective actions initiated last year had not been satisfactorily addressed. :eek:

C

C Emmons

howste said:
If you are looking at it for cost savings, the only place you might save is with auditor airfare (1 trip vs. 2). The number of audit days is mandated in the "rules" document anyway. I personally lean toward the more frequent audits for the same reasons mentioned above.
I agree with Howste. We actually went from semi-annual to quarterly. (19 facilities) 3 per quarter are audited. It seems to be working very well with respect to keeping Managers on track and system alive.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F API Spec Q1 9th Edition Surveillance Audit - Questions about internal audits. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 23
C ISO 9001:2008 Surveillance Audit - No Internal Audits Internal Auditing 9
K Compliance vs. Surveillance vs. Re-Certification Audits - Differences General Auditing Discussions 3
L Time between AS9100 Surveillance Audits AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
S Can a suspended CB still conduct Surveillance Audits? Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
N Frequency of Management Review Meetings pre- and post- Internal & Surveillance Audits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
Q Surveillance audits by lead auditors Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 22
D Facility Closing - Continue Surveillance Audits? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
S Internal Audits Schedule vs. Surveillance Audits Schedule General Auditing Discussions 4
L Surveillance Audits for ISO 9001:2000 - defined intervals ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
CarolX Surveillance Audits under the ISO 9001:2000 version Registrars and Notified Bodies 8
F Grace Period - QS and TS Surveillance Audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Q ISO 9001:2015 man days for surveillance audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
N Post Market Surveillance Package Example Wanted ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Post Market Surveillance for Class II Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
N Program or application for standard time measurement in industry from video surveillance? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 1
H Post-market surveillance strategy EU Medical Device Regulations 1
classical_quality AS9100 Surveillance Audit - advice on drafting strong responses AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
B Procedures for Complaint Handling and Post Market Surveillance EU Medical Device Regulations 7
E Received a Major finding during IATF Surveillance audit for loss of BIQS Level 3 (more than 6 SPPS in 6 months)...how should we address SYSTEMIC CA? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
M Informational Creating a post market surveillance (PMS) system for medical devices – Part 1 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
E Post Market Surveillance Standard Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
M Informational Paper on open access – EU postmarket surveillance plans for medical devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
T Post-Market Surveillance Plan - Requirements outlined in Annex III (1.1b) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Y Post Market Surveillance Indicators and Analysis method EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Post Market Surveillance Plan Template EU Medical Device Regulations 6
F Vietnamese Post-Market Surveillance Requirements for a medical device in Japan Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
S Post Market Surveillance and Annual Product Review in ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Informational EU Review and assessment of market surveillance activities 2014-2016 – Medical devices sector Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Medical Device News Joint Action On Market Surveillance Of Medical Devices (JAMS) Releases Progress Update EU Medical Device Regulations 0
supadrai Auditing Organization dragging their heels on issuing our MDSAP Surveillance Audit Confirmation Letter - everyone is nervous ... are we the only ones? Canada Medical Device Regulations 7
M Medical Device News Health Canada Notice of intent: Strengthening the post-market surveillance and risk management Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
M Medical Device News EU - List of national market surveillance authorities by sector and country EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Y Time gap for First Surveillance Audit of AS9100D after initial certification AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 13
D IATF 16949 surveillance audit frequency IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 16
SK13485 Do you have a Medical Device PostMarket Surveillance Plan? EU Medical Device Regulations 11
W Surveillance report along side an NCR program Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
Q Surveillance Audit of 2008 before Transition Audit to ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
K EU MDR - PMS (Post Market Surveillance) SOP - definition of "register(s)" EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S An auditor asked for a Post Market Surveillance Report ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
S Surveillance Sampling Test - Determining Sample Size Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
T Proactive / Preventive Post Market Surveillance question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M ISO TR 20416 Medical Devices - Post-Market Surveillance for Manufacturers Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
S Merging Post Market Surveillance and Complaint Handling ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
shimonv FDA guidance on Postmarket Surveillance Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
S Post Market Surveillance procedure/ SOP Medical devices Imported Legacy Blogs 0
J0anne Effects of Strengthened Surveillance of Notified Bodies in 2015 EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Industry best practice about Post-Market Surveillance and Risk Analysis ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
S Korean Post Market Surveillance and Recall Regulations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
M Presence of Authorized Representative during Surveillance Audit EU Medical Device Regulations 1