QMS for Life Sciences
Elsmar Cove Forum Sponsor

Survey - The impact of ISO 9001 Certification on Organisational Peformance

I

ice rink

I am currently studying my MSc Quality Management and my dissertaion is on 'the impact of ISO 9001 certification on organisational peformance', and as part of this research I am undertaking a survey of certified companies.

I've been a long time 'lurker' on the cover and I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to take part in the survey.

The answering format in the survey consists of numerical rating scales, i.e. strongly agree – strongly disagree. The survey will take no more than 5 minutes to complete and all companies involved in the research will be sent a copy of the completed research.

At this time I am only looking for people employed in companies based in the UK.

If anyone is able to help can you get in touch with me via PM.

:thanx:

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Welcome to the Cove, ice rink!

Food for thought here...Is it the certification that can impact an organization's performance or the development and implementation of a quality management system?

Just as having a piece of paper on the wall does not make all university graduates equal performers, having a piece of paper on the wall does not guarantee good/bad results in an organiztion's performance.

Another item to consider...performance in what? Financial performance? Customer satisfaction? Ability to meet requirements? Ability to retain personnel?

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
I am currently studying my MSc Quality Management and my dissertaion is on 'the impact of ISO 9001 certification on organisational peformance', and as part of this research I am undertaking a survey of certified companies.

I've been a long time 'lurker' on the cover and I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to take part in the survey.

The answering format in the survey consists of numerical rating scales, i.e. strongly agree – strongly disagree. The survey will take no more than 5 minutes to complete and all companies involved in the research will be sent a copy of the completed research.

At this time I am only looking for people employed in companies based in the UK.

Ice Rink,

Another consideration. Companies cannot be certified. Only parts of their management systems are certified as conforming to the standard.

You may want to focus on registered companies that got the whole of their organizational management system certified.

You may also want to seek companies that have developed their management systems so they conform to ISO 9001 but decided not to seek the marketing benefits of accredited certification. They may be more difficult to find but I would not exclude them.

Good luck with your studies,

John

P

pldey42

Interesting project, not without some significant challenges: if it were easy, the certification bodies would do it and report the results.

In my experience few if any companies do ISO 9001 voluntarily. They get certified to satisfy a customer demand for a certified QMS. That alone can affect their business performance, for without the certificate they'll lose business. In that sense the certificate undoubtedly affects their business performance.

It takes some 9 to 18 months to get certified, and in that time many things can change. If an organization reports a performance change, for better or worse, due to certification, how will you ensure they have eliminated other factors that may have contributed during that time (market expands or contracts, banking crisis, new products, key people change, etc)?

In my experience organizations tend to be bad at measuring performance, certainly before they're certified and, despite the requirement for measurable quality objectives, after certification too. In many cases, performance measures aren't audited. So if they claim performance improvement, how will you verify it?

The information you're likely to want is usually regarded as confidential. I suspect that companies may want guarantees that their identities will not be shared (which means not e-mailing them the report on a cc list), and that the information will be well protected as confidential; they may refuse such risks and decline participation, so your remaining sample will be biased.

Once certified, does the QMS help them improve further? Probably not, since ISO 9001 contains little guidance on performance improvement. It's an infrastructure for creating stable processes more than anything; while it requires continual improvement, it runs out of steam once all the low fruit has been identified, and one has to look elsewhere (Six Sigma, Lean, DOE, SPC) for guidance on improvement. (This is different from richer models like the SEI's CMMI and Baldrige, which are models that contain some guidance on improvement.) So if organizations report sustained improvement one has to ask, is it ISO 9001 certification that helped, or are they doing other things like hiring Six Sigma black belts as well? How will you factor the other things out to correlate any reported improvement with certification?

The telecommunications industry has some such data, through its use of TL 9000. You might care to visit QuEST Forum http://questforum.org/ who may have some reports they can share with you on the performance of organizations that are certified to TL 9000 (ISO 9001 for telecom suppliers), and you might also see the lengths they go to in terms of confidentiality of data. (Please note that, unlike ISO 9001, TL 9000 drives performance improvement with mandatory performance measurements that are audited, coupled with mandatory benchmarking.)

Hope this helps,
Pat

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator

The answering format in the survey consists of numerical rating scales, i.e. strongly agree ? strongly disagree. The survey will take no more than 5 minutes to complete and all companies involved in the research will be sent a copy of the completed research.

ice rink,

How did your research go? Can you provide us with a link to your thesis?

Many thanks,

John

Top Bottom