Sustainability and Corporate Social Responsibility

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
We have a corporate-mandated metric to be actively involved in at least 4 community events. Ironically, my site was already doing this prior to the corporate edict. :rolleyes: Some are minor activities and others require a lot of personal time and dedication:
  • Tree-planting at schools
  • Young Business Leaders (a mentoring program to teach youth about the in's and out's of business)
  • Habitat for Humanity (building homes)
  • Rune for the Cure (5km run for cancer research)
  • Dragonboat team (donations raised go to the groups selected by the city)
  • Adopt-a-Road
  • Road clean-up (twice a year, employees and their families take time to clean up our adopted road)
  • Various local charities (sponsored by internal employee initiatives)
  • Adopt-a-family (sponsoring a family both locally and one from our New Orleans operation who lost everything)

Social responsibility - for us - goes beyond a mere company cash donation most of the time. It's about active involvement in the community from employees of all levels, too.

Statistical Steven

Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
I am not saying companies just give cash, but the costs to a company for any societial project is done with the idea of positive PR.

Let me give you an example of a company I worked for. We were a chemical company with big pipes and smoke coming out of them 24/7. Obviously, the neighbors would be concerned. The company invested in their people to be out in the community to interact and take part in social causes. Why? So when people asked about what was coming out of the stack, we can say 98%was water vapor.

Understanding that positive press is important to help hire employees, retain employees and to keep picketing to a minimum.

I can name many industries where this is important. Take pharmaceutical companies and animal testing. Healthcare with denying claims, etc. Corporate Social responsibility has a positive ROI for companies, otherwsie they would not do it.

R

RosieA

Thanks, as always, Sidney for keeping us up to date on this topic. I continue to feel strongly that this is a good and necessary direction for companies to follow, despite the drawbacks that others have mentioned here on the Cove.

Our ASQ section is devoting a dinner meeting to this topic in a few weeks, and I'm interested in hearing feedback from others on this topic.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Our company encourages and assists employees in a large number of "social and cultural stewardship" projects. The company itself often provides monetary donations to most fundraisers and then it helps us, as employees, to organize and fund a number of other projects. Here are some of the things we support:
Relay for life (American Cancer Society)
Red Cross, both monetary during emergencies and blood drives
a partnership with our public school system to improve the quality of education
environmental projects working with boy scouts and other youth organizations
most youth (and other non-profit) fundraising things like dinners - the company buys twenty tickets and distributes them and employees then have a free ticket and buy how many others are needed for his/her family
recycling education programs, both on-site, and education in the school system
providing Christmas presents to underpriveled or disadvantaged children
providing turkeys (cooked) to our local service for the elderly
adopt - a - highway
earthday recycling center (citizens drop off their appliances and metal scrap)
a scholarship program for children of all employees
employees can contribute into a fund for fellow employees who are undergoing some sort of hardship

I really cannot think of everything right now that we do as employees that the company also chips in on or helps us organize but the list is pretty indicative of the spirit of sharing that embodies our team.

C

chaosweary

Social Responsibility

I work here in the U.S. and see a lot of external SRI's occurring such as volunteering, blood donations (drives), and public educational seminars. Which is good, however, I there is, what I believe, to be a trend in U.S. companies going away from supporting collective bargaining. Which I gladly see it appearing over and over again in such standards as the SA8000 and the 10 principles link Sidney supplied. It currently has achieved "don't ask, don't tell" status, much to my chagrin. I hope that the international business community applies as much pressure on U.S. companies to comply to a social standard just as much as they push the ISO 9001:2000 standard. :D

T

tigerfan51

United Way

In my community (and many other similar communities) there is a charitable organization called United Way. Each year they conduct a fund raising drive that is supported by most large businesses in the city. Local committees seek donations directly from employees and many companies match and/or contribute to the campaign. There is a tremendous amount of community support for the intiative as well as publicity, etents, etc. You can learn more at http://www.weareunited.com/ecom.asp?pg=campaign

Funds raised are apportioned to various United Way member organizations which work with youth, disabled persons, seniors and other groups. Companies that participate do not derive any direct, bottom line benefit - they do get positive publicity and the sence of community outreach/participation.

Hope this helps.

P

prabhatchaddha

Now day this is quite common companies are using this as a business promotion and to build there image.
today you turn on tv and will find quite a few examples like

1. P&G is saying you buy there product and with each item sold they will take out some money and will build a school
2. Bajaj Alliance say you go for ur child educationinsurance and with each insurance they will provide add one more child who cant afford.
3. VODAFONE SAYS SAVE THE TIGER.

Regards

Prabhat Chaddha

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q TL9000 - 9.1.3.C.3 - Sustainability Assessment TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 0
N ISO Standards recommended for Hotels - ISO 21401:2018 Tourism and related services — Sustainability management system for accommodation establishments Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
D What is an AIAG Sustainability Report? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
M Improving Employee Involvement in Company Sustainability Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 14
M Reporting: Sustainability, Environmental, Social and Global Reporting Initiative Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 6
A Sustainability 101 Training Ideas and Presentation Materials wanted Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 2
H Measure and Demonstrate Product Sustainability Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 0
Sidney Vianna A New Era of Sustainability - UN Global Compact?Accenture CEO Study 2010 Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 6
somashekar A question on 3rd Party Sustainability Audit Cost Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
Sidney Vianna P&G Launches the Latest Supplier Sustainability Scorecard Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 2
Ajit Basrur Starting Sustainability Initiatives in our Organization Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 15
somashekar Sustainability audit per EICC Supplier Code of Conduct Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 14
D Daimler Sustainability Guidelines for Suppliers Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
G BIFMA e-3 2008 Sustainability Standard for Furniture Manufacturers Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 4
D Ten Commandments of Sustainability Imported Legacy Blogs 1
D WWF Panda Bear Logo Significance for Sustainability Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 1
G Sustainability - There are many shades of "GREEN" Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 6
Z Potential for Environmental Sustainability in Medical Products used in Hospitals Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 6
U IT Process is Taken From company and Added to Corporate Structure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
N IATF 16949 - Mandatory Corporate Documents IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
julsbear Corporate Services as Externally Provided Service IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J What does "Corporate stewardship" mean? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
S Corporate Quality Manager keeping me out of the Management Review Meeting Management Review Meetings and related Processes 28
S What is Ethics Escalation (“Whistle-Blowing”) Policy - Corporate Responsibility IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
L Corporate Manual - Global Multi-Site ISO9001:2015 Certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J Supplier is dictated to us by corporate Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
K Gage Calibration - Corporate Scheme IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
RoxaneB Fighting Corporate Memory Loss Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
C ISO9001: Moving from site certification to corporate certification Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
G Setting up a corporate umbrella QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
S Internal Audits of QMS Corporate Basics at the Local Plant Level ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R Steps to Preserve ISO 9001 Certification during Corporate Acquisition? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Question on Corporate Audit Scheme IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
D How do I make the Corporate QMS work in the manufacturing setting? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
N Corporate direction - External Auditor Influenced by Corporate Management ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
J How to calculate Surveillance Audit Days in Corporate Audit Scheme IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
C Audit of the Corporate Audit Program 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Q TS 16949 Manufacturing Site uses ISO 9001 Corporate Laboratory IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Y Can't meet PEAR goals because of Corporate MGMT... Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
U Customer Audit Nonconformity on Internal Audit Program done by Corporate QA General Auditing Discussions 19
D Whither Corporate Social Responsibility Imported Legacy Blogs 2
Sidney Vianna Cleaning up the Global Compact: Dealing with Corporate Free Riders Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 2
Q Management Review Inputs - Production Site under a Corporate Certification Scheme Management Review Meetings and related Processes 9
M Corporate Procedures and their effects on Companies they Own Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
B Corporate Goal about ISO 9001 Registrar Audits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
G Corporate Documents cover local facility - How many departments can I exempt? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
C 9001 Corporate Quality Audit - Yearly Audit on the Individual Business Units General Auditing Discussions 4
V Corporate Quality Management System - Structure, Pros and Cons? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
J What are the Processes under Strategic Corporate Planning ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
P What is the status of, and requirements of Corporate Social Responsibility Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2