Sustainability - Kind Of

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
I often wonder if "sustainability" is similar to the other over-used, distorted corporate buzz words...below an article re: Detroit GM Headquarters @ Detroit Renaissance Center. For context this was built by Ford Motor circa 1978 for approx> $500M>>approx $2.5B in 2024 dollars, GM purchased it in 1996? for $95M, yet it may in fact be domed to demolition. Your thoughts?

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Sustainability means many things. My hybrid work arrangement reduces my carbon footprint based on saving 220 miles of commute every week, but it means an empty cube in my employer's admin building two days a week. If the building was to fill on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday we would need to hold the space, but if employers choose to use less real estate footprint they might adopt an office space arrangement where work stations are shared. We don't do that.

Overall, the pandemic changed many things - very notably, it proved that remote or hybrid work can be effective. Now that GM doesn't want this building anymore, it would be ideal to find another use for it but the building might not be viable for a very long period. It might have a lifespan. I don't know if this one does, or what that would be.

Overall I think some employers have very good intentions where sustainability goes and make very good decisions to deploy their intentions. For others, it is a public relations gimmick. I will refrain from providing examples that would charge this discussion in a potentially undesirable way.

Randy

Super Moderator
For others, it is a public relations gimmick.
Say it isn't so.

Overall, the pandemic changed many things - very notably, it proved that remote or hybrid work can be effective.
In many cases absolutely, in the type of work I do, the jury is still out. A good deal of auditing requires one to have "eyeballs on" and there isn't any way that a handheld cellphone camera will ever be as good as actually being there. We already have clients that are saying "NO" to remote audits for a variety of reasons, and for some clients remote viewing isn't going to happen no matter who says otherwise (especially in the Defense Industry), "Sustainability", "GHG", "CO2" be ^amned.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
You're right Randy, I've done remote auditing too and prefer to be present instead. I don't audit much anymore though, am doing supplier quality now and I take a dim view of some of management's excuses to get us back on site. Most of the time I feel like I'm just weighing my chair down while in the office. That plus going in adds three unproductive hours to my day, results in sleep deprivation. Ick.

Top Bottom