Sustainability - There are many shades of "GREEN"

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
I just received a new assignment in addition to quality as sustainability director. Are there any sustainability gurus in the forum. We manufacture products from wood, the only carbon friendly material available. I plan on a full circle system. There are many shades of "GREEN" and the difficult part will be to determine the shade of "GREEN" that our Customers want in addition to education them on LEED, IAQ, COC, etc.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin
Re: Sustainability

I just received a new assignment in addition to quality as sustainability director. Are there any sustainability gurus in the forum. We manufacture products from wood, the only carbon friendly material available. I plan on a full circle system. There are many shades of "GREEN" and the difficult part will be to determine the shade of "GREEN" that our Customers want in addition to education them on LEED, IAQ, COC, etc.
Hearty congratulations :agree:

Your question is interesting and I am also waiting for an answer :)

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Re: Sustainability

Are there any sustainability gurus in the forum.
Hopefully not. Gurus tend to quash discussions. The I-know-it-all-let-me-talk-down-to-you approach is very limited here.

A fellow cover employer has a nice page on their website about sustainability . Many progressive organizations are becoming more and more aware of their social responsibility and sustainability. Actually, many large organizations are reporting more often their sustainability efforts, and it is important that such reports are credible. Many are engaging with external verifiers to assess the veracity of the data being reported.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
How do you find out what your customers want out of the things you make?

Surveys?
Salesman inquiries?
Chats with CEOs?
Research into their own initiatives?
The contract process?

Sustainability is a tricky word, in my view. What does it mean to your people? If it's not well understood, there may be some trouble in getting needed things done.

So maybe you should start with a definition that suits your organization, and develop some wishes, based on not just nurturing the environment but what you can accomplish without enormous investment and what saves the company money. A Subaru plant has reduced its waste going to the landfill to a point where a typical household generates more waste. Read about it here. It seems to me this is something some customers would like. Whatever you propose would need to be done so using a plain-speak, short presentation. Your marketing people can help.

You could make special arrangements that might help your customers, if they are cost effective. Some of my company's Japanese suppliers do not want us to throw out or recycle their shipping cartons - they want them returned for reuse.

I hope this helps!

J

justncredible

http://www.amazon.com/History-Managing-Quality-J-Juran/dp/0873893417

There is a great chapter on the Arsenale of the Venetian Republic, with details on how they managed the forest. Not to mention how they produced ships in 6 hours. In order to to have sustainability you have to control your sources. Since you deal with wood products, you need a forest, and you will need to have a blueprint for 20 to 60 years. Depending on the trees you need. The Venetian example of how they not only produce ships but sustained growth to become the world leaders in ship building is amazing. The quality of the wood was strictly controlled. If you buy wood you will always be looking for new suppliers, or having to deal with changes.

Hi

I am attaching one of the slides that I use in my presentations on various aspects of Sustainability. Hope that helps you to comprehend the elements of Sustainability. There are many good books on sustainabiliy; for example you may study: The Necessary Revolution by Peter Senge et al. Now a days CSR and Sustainability are considered synonymous. Please, therefore, go through the ISO Guideline on CSR, discussed in another thread in this forum.

If you have any specific question I will be happy to assist you in understanding the issue.

With kind regards,

Ramakrishnan

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q TL9000 - 9.1.3.C.3 - Sustainability Assessment TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 0
N ISO Standards recommended for Hotels - ISO 21401:2018 Tourism and related services — Sustainability management system for accommodation establishments Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
D What is an AIAG Sustainability Report? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
M Improving Employee Involvement in Company Sustainability Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 14
M Reporting: Sustainability, Environmental, Social and Global Reporting Initiative Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 6
A Sustainability 101 Training Ideas and Presentation Materials wanted Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 2
H Measure and Demonstrate Product Sustainability Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 0
Sidney Vianna A New Era of Sustainability - UN Global Compact?Accenture CEO Study 2010 Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 6
somashekar A question on 3rd Party Sustainability Audit Cost Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
Sidney Vianna P&G Launches the Latest Supplier Sustainability Scorecard Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 2
Ajit Basrur Starting Sustainability Initiatives in our Organization Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 15
somashekar Sustainability audit per EICC Supplier Code of Conduct Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 14
D Daimler Sustainability Guidelines for Suppliers Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
G BIFMA e-3 2008 Sustainability Standard for Furniture Manufacturers Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 4
D Ten Commandments of Sustainability Imported Legacy Blogs 1
D WWF Panda Bear Logo Significance for Sustainability Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 1
D Sustainability and Corporate Social Responsibility Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 18
Z Potential for Environmental Sustainability in Medical Products used in Hospitals Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 6
I How many gauges in a Go/No Go Gauge? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
BeaBea How Many Processes should be created for each Department? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
Watchcat How Many Notified Bodies are "Enough" Already? EU Medical Device Regulations 18
S How many mandays required for the below mentioned standards IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
N MDR review process by notified body - How many steps exist in the review process EU Medical Device Regulations 0
F How many signatures do we need on calibration certificates? ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
M Informational From RAPS – Operating System Vulnerabilities in Many Medical Devices, Germany’s BfArM and Device Firms Warn Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R Validation of Medical Device Hardware containing Software - How many to Validate ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
K How Many Samples to send for Chemistry Testing Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
N MDSAP Participants 2019 - How many companies are participating YTD? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 20
S How many of you are using Robotic process automation for calibration lab management? ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
G Measuring customer parts on a CMM - How many decimals to report to the customer? ISO 17025 related Discussions 28
J Supplier choice limitation - Many of them dont have PSCR, VDA or even ISO 9001 VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
O Clean room performance qualification (pq) - How many times can I do each test? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
G How many samples you require to test during PQ for validation of a equipment? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D IATF 16949: Do we have too many processes? Are they all the same? Registrars and Notified Bodies 7
D QMS Performance Based on how many NCRs were generated month to month Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
S How many QMS processes and procedures? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
L How many of you are Certified to IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
G How many Uncertainty Measurements for Micrometers and Calipers? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
R How many Corrective Action Request can be Issued by DCMA for a single issue? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
A Training Program Help - Old docs, new docs, so many docs... ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M How many Pieces to Test - Sterility Testing USP EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P Are we an outlier for so many variations of Change Management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M SPC with many data points from one dimension Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 16
S How many times do you have the term 'Requirements' in your Quality Manual? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
L How many working hours to required to implement ISO 14001 ? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 6
B ISO/TS16949 Internal Auditing - How many auditors? Internal Auditing 4
R Training Production Employees When We Have SOOO Many SOPs Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 9
P Scope Extension Audit - How many days? Do I audit all AS9100 requirements? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
J How can I manage Occurence Rates in FMEA efficiently when I have many processes? FMEA and Control Plans 9
V How many times the quality agreement has been invoked? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3