Sustaining a TS16949 QMS (Quality Management System)

W

Waterjet27

Is there an industry standard on how many hours per week/year etc., it takes to sustain a TS1649 QMS? For example, it is recommended that a company our size has someone dedicated to safety 30 hours per week.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Re: Sustaining TS16949 QMS

Is there an industry standard on how many hours per week/year etc., it takes to sustain a TS1649 QMS? For example, it is recommended that a company our size has someone dedicated to safety 30 hours per week.
No, it's going to be different for nearly everyone. Some have 'institutionalized it, other still need the QM (or whomever) to run around keeping it going, like those plates, spinning on the tops of poles...

Why do you ask?

T

tomvehoski

How can you put an hours recommendation on a company strictly based on size - safety or quality? An oil refinery with 100 people is going to have very different safety requirements than a telephone support center with 100 people.

Who made this recommendation?

W

Waterjet27

I'm the Quality Manager and Management Rep. at my company and am in need of more resources to help stay on top of things. My supervisor asked me for this information; he wants to see the numbers. Your posts reaffirm my thoughts. Thanks!

I'm the Quality Manager and Management Rep. at my company and am in need of more resources to help stay on top of things. My supervisor asked me for this information; he wants to see the numbers. Your posts reaffirm my thoughts. Thanks!
When you say you need more resources, please be sure (first) you're not making things too difficult for yourself. Like, how many audits do you do? Or are you overwhelmed with new customer business doing PPAPs etc?

W

Waterjet27

I took over this position and have about 17 outstanding corrective actions. Most of the root causes are procedural. We audit each process once per year. PPAPs are part of my job as well as collecting and putting together data for all measureables, training and supervising inspectors, CAD drawings, SPC, customer contact, researching gaging, doing some internal audits, document and data control, chairing management review, calibrations, maintaining approved supplier list, handling engineering changes, APQP... the list goes on. Basically I have too many hats to wear. I make a conscious effort not to make things too difficult, but do them right!

I took over this position and have about 17 outstanding corrective actions. Most of the root causes are procedural. We audit each process once per year. PPAPs are part of my job as well as collecting and putting together data for all measureables, training and supervising inspectors, CAD drawings, SPC, customer contact, researching gaging, doing some internal audits, document and data control, chairing management review, calibrations, maintaining approved supplier list, handling engineering changes, APQP... the list goes on. Basically I have too many hats to wear. I make a conscious effort not to make things too difficult, but do them right!
What's everyone else doing? I can see at least 4 - 6 things others should be doing, not the 'QM'...

T

tomvehoski

Headcount = $$$$ as far as management is concerned, so you need to put it in those terms. Just asking for another body to do stuff won't work. Put it in terms like "adding another Quality Engineer would get our PPAPs out faster, so we won't lose $30,000 orders like we did last month" (or whatever fits the problems you are having).

Also look for non-value added work. The place I am at now is wasting tons of time on PPAP activities because somehow it gets communicated that the customer wants a full level 3 PPAP on 10 hand made prototype parts we are making for free, so my Q Techs waste time putting together a capability study, gage R&Rs and everything else that is completely pointless.

W

Waterjet27

Andy,
From what I'm told it's common among smaller companies. I just try to do the best I can with what I got. We have always run on a "lean crew". Everybody else says they are short handed as well.

Tom,
I think that is a good idea and you are definitely correct about headcount=$$$$ (especially when it's overhead).

My supervisor is trying to get some numbers to put with all the responsibility so we can have more than 'needing another body' when we go to upper management for help.

Thanks for the replies!

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
Even one facet of the requirements - a PPAP - can be huge for one customer (PSO, for example) and simple for others. It can also be a function of the features of the products - a part with appearance or safety requirements will require much different quantity of resources than one without.

You don't just walk up to the TS machine, put in a few hours and a certificate pops out. It is a process, not a product.

To think of the process as one so universal that such a standard would exist is oversimplifying.

(I know you know that...just trying to give you some supporting thoughts)

Your best bet is to put together a proposed schedule that estimates (can I emphasize that enough?) what work will need to be done and the resources to complete it, with a list of caveats [e.g. an increase in sales of new product or increase in process improvements (6 sigma projects) will increase the PPAP overhead significantly over the estimate]. Not much more you can do....

Of course, right now your supervisor has no skin in the estimate - so turnabout is fair play. Ask him for an estimate of new product or increase in process improvements over the next year. Maybe such a request will get him thinking about what a nebulous request he is asking of you.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Definition of Done - New Product Phase to the sustaining phase Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Q How can a Quality Professional move from Sustaining to Development Engineering Career and Occupation Discussions 1
M Sustaining the 5S (Five S) Program - What can I do to keep the effort ongoing? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
T PPAP differences between TS16949 and VDA APQP and PPAP 1
G Is ISO/TS16949 Extension Available? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B ISO/TS16949 In-House Non-Product Laboratory IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B TS16949 Section 8.2.2.3 Product Audit - Requirements for various Customers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
M ISO/TS16949 to IATF 16949:2016 Gap Analysis Questions IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
tony wardle Lean and TS16949 - Integration Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
T TS16949 - What extras over the ISO 9001:2008? Gap Analysis IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B Checklist for ISO/TS16949 for review and comment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
T TS16949 Process Design Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
L TS16949 Work Instruction Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
D TS16949 Annex A versus Toyota MQC's IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
T TS16949 Lead Auditor Training Recommendations wanted Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
M Increase in Major TS16949 Audit Findings IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
D TS16949 requirements for for Directed Buy Customers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
G Insights into the 2016 Version of TS16949 (IATF 16949) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 74
B ISO/TS16949 8.2.3.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B ISO/TS16949 6.2.2.3 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
K TS16949 registration for Kitting and Line Sequencing Service company IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
V Procedure to change the Company name in existing TS16949-2009 certificate ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C Calibration Certificate "As Found" condition - TS16949 Section 7.6.2 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
T Reduced Audit days when UPGRADING from AS9100 to TS16949 - Is it possible? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
T Is there a requirement in TS16949 that PO's show a revision level? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
G Service Parts Assembly Line and Scope of TS16949 Registration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
M Comparing the MMOG (v3 or v4) with ISO / TS16949 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
B ISO/TS16949 Internal Auditing - How many auditors? Internal Auditing 4
B How to maintain documentation under ISO/TS16949 Clause 4.2.3 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
M Is a separate ISO/TS16949 certificate required for an extension site? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
L Scope of TS16949 for Aftermarket Product and a Service Fill Product IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
B Meeting the requirements of ISO/TS16949 Clause 6.2.2.3 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
W Does TS16949 require MSA on all measurement systems in the Control Plan? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
M Process Records requirements for TS16949 standard IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
D Include non-automotive in TS16949 Registration Scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
R TS16949 requirements for Motorcycle OEM Parts Suppliers (Batteries) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
C TS16949: Product Audit vs. "Regular Checks" Internal Auditing 1
E Gap Analysis for VDA 6.3:2010 and ISO/TS16949:2009 VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 5
U TS16949 Internal Auditor Training - Is On-line training OK? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
D What is your understanding or interpretation of TS16949 7.4.1.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M TS16949 Control regulation with business partner(Subcontractor) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M TS16949 Design Exclusion when Design is done in a different Facility ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M Help with TS16949 Awareness Training for Employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M TS16949 8.2.2.5 Internal Auditor Qualification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
N IATF Appeals on ISO/TS16949 Rules - 4th Ed. - Removal of Site Extensions IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M TS16949 Exclusions - Design & Development is carried out by our parent company IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
D Risk Requirement for TS16949 Feasibility IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
B TS16949 - 7.3 Design and Development Exclusions for a Service Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S Will ISO TS16949 be impacted by ISO 9001:2015? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
F Gap Analysis Matrix for AS9100 Rev C to TS16949:2009 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1