SWOT - TOWS Matrix - What are the differences? Who developed TOWS Matrix?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

Jim Biz

I don’t know a lot about it - or "specifically who developed" it – but have seen web pages explaining its use - most of which have a governmental tie-in. Form what I gather:

Both/each are planning tools & the real difference is what outcome is desired.

Ask yourself --- SELF --- which information is most necessary for me address while planning.
Am I looking to control a threat – or build upon a strength - & how does the information interact.

SWOT
  • Strength
  • Weakness
  • Opportunity
  • Threats

TOWS
  • Threats
  • Opportunities
  • Weaknesses
  • Strengths

Regards
Jim

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I recieved this today:

On 9/23/01 3:19 PM, Weihrich, Prof. wrote:

Someone in your Forum asked who developed the TOWS Matrix and how it relates to the SWOT analysis. While I was teaching Business Policy, I noted the limitation of the SWOT analysis because students did not take the next step in developing alternative strategies based on the internal strengths and weaknesses and the external opportunities and threats. Consequently, I developed the TOWS Matrix. The original article "The TOWS Matrix--A Tool for Situational Analysis" was published in LONG RANGE PLANNING, Vol. 15, No. 2, 1982, pp. 54-66. This model has been used for research and strategy formulation around the globe. In the meantime, I applied the concept to career strategy as well as for analyzing the competitive advantages of nations. More information can be found on my website shown below. I trust that I shed some light at the origin and further development of the TOWS Matrix concept.

Heinz Weihrich, Ph.D. (UCLA)
Dr. H.C San Martin University, Peru
Professor of Global Management and Behavioral Science
School of Business and Management
University of San Francisco

2130 Fulton Street
San Francisco, CA 94117-1045, USA
Home Telephone and FAX. 925-930-6548,

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Does anyone have any contemporary information / experience with SWOT - TOWS?

gard2372

Quite Involved in Discussions
During my bachelor's program in business management, we utilized the SWOTT method. We added the extra T for trends. I recently finished my degree program so I believe that the SWOTT is the current method, or at least the most commonly used/recognized. I have never personally heard of TOWS, although it sounds just as plausable as a SWOTT analysis.

harry

Super Moderator
Almost everybody can do a SWOT analysis. How well it is done or analysed is debatable. However, many stopped after doing the analysis - perhaps they are not sure on how to proceed from thereon. The TOWS matrix is useful for it provides a framework for using the information analized.

Its one of those simple but useful tool that can be used in whatever situations provided you have a good grasp of it. Another example of such a tool is the good old 'BCG' matrix.

R

Rod Davies

I had until today believed that I had originated the TOWS model in 1999 during the development of the EU ADAPT Change Facilitator Programme. However my objectives were to establish an effective workshop / thought facilitation tool to identify the drivers and responses to change. This is a different objective than for Prof. Weihrich.
IMO the strength of the TOWS approach is that it is far more naturalistic than SWOT, and therefore obtains better results. We primarily respond to threats rather than opportunities, and it is generally only a threat to the status quo that compels us to change. In addition few people are sufficiently self-possessed to identify their strengths at the outset, but they tend to be very aware of their weaknesses. I have found that by stating the negative Threat and Weakness, people then start to see their own Opportunities and Strengths.
The other great strenght of TOWS over SWOT as a facilitation tool is that each phase ends on a positive which means that people feel more empowered when they leave the session.
If anyone is interested in how I have applied TOWS as a facilitation tool I am more than happy to provide information.

R

RazaliHusain

During my MBA days, I like it so much that I had extended the TOWS with Analytical Hierarchy Process, which allows priortization of each action.

The software allows allotment of responsibility, weighted against cost, etc.:agree1::) and do some kind of profiling of the current strategy (almost like IE Matrix). Strategist can then filter the top 80% of actions based on contribution or Costs and probability of Success.

M

Mark.Melvin

A SWOT analysis is really an inventory of your Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats. I always think of the TOWS matrix as the SWOT turned inside-out. The TOWS matrix Looks at the interactions between the 4 SWOT elements. How do your Strenghts and Weaknesses play into how you address your Opportunities and Threats? TOWS is a tool to translate SWOT into a practical strategy to manage the internal realities (SW) toward the external environment (OT).

As you go through this process, don't waste your Strengths on controlling your Threats. Always try to focus your Strength on your Opportunities while mitigating your Threats. You'll never win a totally defensive game.

Hope this helps,

rogerpenna

Involved In Discussions
I have seen in several places in my country people assigning SCORES for each of the crossings.

You cross each STRENGHT and WEAKNESS to each OPPORTUNITY and THREAT. The questions asked for the crossings are the known "Will the strenght X leverage opportunity Y", "Will Weakness X allow the increase of a threat", etc

And assign an impact score 0, 1 or 2 for each crossing.

You get a partial for each quadrant (like STRENGHT X has a total of Z score in opportunities, but STRENGHT Y has a total score of Z+12 in opportunities, so if we search for opportunities we should go for that Strenght)

But you also get a total for each S/W/O/T... so... OPPORTUNITY X gets Y score in our strenghts and our small score in our weaknesses... so we should invest in that Opportunity as our strenghts will reinforce it and our weaknesses won´t be a big impediment...

---------------------------

That said, I searched Google for this kind of quantitative SWOT analysis but found none, when looking in english.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
qualprod Annual SWOT for 4.1? I plan to revise quality objectives and strategic route ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
J Context SWOT tie to ISO 9001:2015 Cl. 6.1 Risk and Opportunities ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Q SWOT Outputs - Risks, Opportunities and Improvements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
E SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats) with QMS Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 18
M How to use SWOT Analysis to Improve Productivity Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
A SWOT Analysis / GAP Analysis - Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 14
O ISO 13485 vs. GMP - Comparison matrix wanted EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A 5 x 5 Risk Matrix - Looking for a good example Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
Q Forms Master List versus Record Matrix ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
W Updated EU MDR regulatory matrix wanted ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 43
F AS9100D Process Matrix for a small cnc machine shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
D ROW Approval Matrix Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
R AS9100 REV D gap analysis matrix AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
Ron Rompen 2D matrix issue - Parts (machined steel) returned from the customer Design and Development of Products and Processes 0
R Training Matrix for Document revisions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J Criteria Matrix To Initiate An A3 or 8D ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
N ISO 9001:2015 - 5.3 - The roles and responsibilities matrix rears it's head ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
C Internal Audit - Process Clause Matrix / Audit Checklist ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
Z Training Qualification Matrix for ISO 9001:2015 Audit General Auditing Discussions 8
L Comparison matrix between IATF 16949:2016 to ISO 12207, ISO 9001 and Automotive SPICE IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
N Comprehensive Compliance Matrix for Internal Audit Checklist Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
S How to maintain a design traceability matrix ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
N Looking for input on the attached Process / IATF 16949 Clause Matrix IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Q Simple and effective way to maintain Training Matrix ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
M TGA comparable overseas regulators requirements matrix? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
V Process and Internal Audit Criteria matrix wanted Internal Auditing 8
D Risk Matrix used by my company ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
D Rationale for Risk Acceptability Matrix - ISO 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
C Data Matrix and DPM (direct part marking) UDI Standards - ISO/IEC TR 29158 Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
M Medical Device Traceability Matrix - Examples EU Medical Device Regulations 7
S Response Surface Method to create design matrix in Minitab Using Minitab Software 5
R Training Matrix Need to Be Proceduralized? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T Process Matrix for ISO 9001 - SRI requests R.20 44KO Sample/Example ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Employee Training Matrix - Keeping track of employee training on various SOPs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A ISO9001:2015 Process Matrix with clauses General Auditing Discussions 13
D VDA Trigger Matrix in the VDA 6.2 Manual - Interpretation and Use VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 3
P Internal Audit Matrix Process Query ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
M AS9101F Clause. 3.7 Planned Activities - Process Evaluation matrix AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Colin Transition Matrix for ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 37
Q Looking for Cross Functional Matrix of Medical Device Regulations around the World Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
J Machinery Directive vs. MDD Comparison Matrix wanted EU Medical Device Regulations 6
B Looking for a Y-Shaped / 3-way Matrix Template (Excel or Visio) Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 7
C Document Numbering Matrix showing how to number all documents by type Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
L ISO 9001:2015 Correlation Matrix & Change Summary ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Correlation matrix of ISO 13485 and other country regulations Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
M QAM (Quality Assurance Matrix) for a sterilization process Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
S Quality Management Systems Matrix ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
G BCARs/EASA to ISO9001/AS9100 cross reference matrix/table wanted EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 1
Q Correlation Matrix of ISO 9001:2008 and ISO 9001: Wanted ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Is correlation matrix required for Customer Specific Requirements in Quality Manual? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3