Symantec 2011 SMB Disaster Preparedness Survey

P

pldey42

Thanks for posting.

Sadly, it's not surprising. I imagine BS 25999 surveys say something similar.

Experienced quality managers know that their management teams are often poor at looking ahead and avoiding quality problems. It's often easier to wait for a quality problem to occur and then, in the crisis (when they're more amenable to change because it might hurt less than the disaster they're in) show them how to use the QMS to avoid future problems as well as deal with the current one.

Unfortunately, when disaster hits, it can take out the entire business, whereas when quality problems arise, there's usually time to recover.

In my limited experience of BS 25999, even a government mandate doesn't help as much as it might. Some real work gets done, of course, by committed individuals grabbing the opportunity. But for many it's just another audit hoop to crawl through with as little real work as possible.

I believe the reason lies in our deep-seated attitudes to risk. We tend to believe that, while intellectually we see the risks, they won't happen to us. Only when something bad happens do we react - or, sometimes, over-react.

I think the keys lie in proactive leadership that looks ahead, coupled with finding the upside to business continuity planning - enhancing reputation by being dependable when all else has failed, reduced insurance costs, reduced risk of missing deadlines and incurring penalties, even profit in selling what people want when there's a disaster (supermarkets in Florida stock up with batteries, beer and comfort food when hurricanes approach).

Just my 2c,
Pat

Richard Regalado

Trusted Information Resource
Experienced quality managers know that their management teams are often poor at looking ahead and avoiding quality problems. It's often easier to wait for a quality problem to occur and then, in the crisis (when they're more amenable to change because it might hurt less than the disaster they're in) show them how to use the QMS to avoid future problems as well as deal with the current one.

Pat

Exactly why there are several questions being posed in the forum about preventive actions and how to enhance its implementation.

But it is unfair to expect quality managers to see so much farther in the horizon. Senior management must take the helm. After all, they decide where the business needs to go.

Richard

P

pldey42

But it is unfair to expect quality managers to see so much farther in the horizon. Senior management must take the helm. After all, they decide where the business needs to go.

Richard

Yes, but like the Captain of the Titanic, they're often overly optimistic about the strengths of their ship and not so good at spotting ice-bergs ;-)

In other words they might be strong on "where" but need the help of their staff, including quality, to figure out "how". Sometimes they don't understand the importance of life boats until, like the Titanic, they discover they really do need them. It's the way they are and in my experience seasoned quality managers do indeed try to look beyond the horizon.

Quality, or indeed any management system implementation, is in my experience as much about educating the management team as it is everyone else.

Pat

M

mguilbert

Being in a part of Alabama that was heavily affected by the Tornadoes in April, our company already had back up generators at all of our facilities including the corporate office. Due to the fact we incubate eggs, raise chickens, and deal with live product we can not be without power. We also have a filling station for vehicles. Yes, many non-essential were told to stay because of limited power. But in case of tornadoes or wide spread power outages we are prepared and improving our capacities at the corporate office.

Richard Regalado

Trusted Information Resource
Yes, but like the Captain of the Titanic, they're often overly optimistic about the strengths of their ship and not so good at spotting ice-bergs ;-)

Pat

For ice-bergs, the use of certain "tools" within the BS 25999 Standard such as business impact analysis, risk assessment (looking for icebergs), risk treatment (avoiding the bergs or doubling the hull or buying insurance), writing and testing of BCPs would help a lot. :D

Top Bottom