System Audit for New Supplier Qualification

KCIPOH

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello Cove members,

I have a scenario as below :

Let say a company Alpha want to perform a system audit (mainly for ISO9001:2008 and ISO14001:2004) to qualify a new supplier before register them into the AVL.

This supplier are having 2 different manufacturing location (i.e. Location A and B) which is having the same process for the parts to be manufactured. The parts are running at location B.

But due to some reason, company Alpha are instructing the QA team to perform system audit to the supplier at location A (which same process but the parts are not running here) and verifying their procedure versus process at location A for compliance verification.

My question is since the parts are running at location B, it is valid to perform system audit at location which the parts are not been manufactured and by only verifying their process at location A for compliance to their procedure?

Will this be an issue?

Please advice.

Thanks and appreciate :confused:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Good day KCIPOH,

If parts are likely to be supplied by both plants A and B, in my view their manufacturing processes should both be audited. If the quality management system is the same, it may be possible to only audit the support processes at one plant but I would do so at the plant that is actually sending me the goods.

Why would Plant A be audited if the parts were being made in Plant B?

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Hello Cove members,

Let say a company Alpha want to perform a system audit (mainly for ISO9001:2008 and ISO14001:2004) to qualify a new supplier before register them into the AVL.

This supplier are having 2 different manufacturing location (i.e. Location A and B) which is having the same process for the parts to be manufactured. The parts are running at location B.

But due to some reason, company Alpha are instructing the QA team to perform system audit to the supplier at location A (which same process but the parts are not running here) and verifying their procedure versus process at location A for compliance verification.

My question is since the parts are running at location B, it is valid to perform system audit at location which the parts are not been manufactured and by only verifying their process at location A for compliance to their procedure?

Will this be an issue?

Please advice.

I agree with Jennifer in principle, but in reality it probably makes no difference because there is no evidence that I know of that supplier qualification audits help to predict anything.

S

ssz102

clarify the reason to be audited for location is important
though audited is process, if no product manufactured in here, i think the system is inperfaction, as the system is together with products

Big Jim

Trusted Information Resource
Hello Cove members,

Will this be an issue?

Please advice.

The biggest issue here is that ISO 9001:2008 is silent on how to audit a supplier. What is required is that you determine that the supplier has the ability to meet your needs, and that can be done in any of several ways. You may have written more prescriptive requirements into your procedure though. What is really important is to make sure that any such procedures provide you with the flexibility to go about it as you feel best.

In the case you cited, if I were in your shoes, I would want to see how parts were made that end up in my company, whatever that takes.

A

amit_rd

I will try to make it simpler for you:

Instead of calling it supplier audit, please call call site audit. Is there any difference? Yes definitely! To which location are you releasing the purchase order? If its A, you audit A.

Have you ever heard of a bank verifying somebody else's credentials to give you a bank account? "NO" :confused:

In cases where the supplier is putting up a new location, we may audit other location with similar processes to get certain level of confidence; otherwise we audit the site - only.

KCIPOH

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello Cove members,

I really thankful for all your feedback and hints. Yes, i have the same thinking as to have the site which is running the parts to be audited in actual instead of audit another site with similar process and comparing against the procedure for compliance.

As cited by Big Jim, yes, I think we need to be specific about the procedure to qualifying our new supplier to avoid any arguments and to have those new supplier to comply to our requirements before they are being approved into AVL.

As for your information, we actually did not get a clear direction from top management on the reason behind not auditing the actual plan where the parts are manufactured, but i think maybe cost concern as the supplier plan (parts to be run) as in our neighbor country.

Appreciate all your explanation and advise again.

Good job and keep in touch ya :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Supplier Quality Management System (QMS) Audit - Formal Documented QMS does not exist ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
J Setting up a Vendor (Supplier) and Internal Audit System - Need help Internal Auditing 4
W Supplier Quality Manual and Supplier Quality System Audit Format Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
A Producing a supplier audit system for my TS 16949 organisation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
D Management of NC after internal system audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
J Microsoft Teams to manage Internal Audit System? Internal Auditing 3
L IATF 16949 Clause 9.2.2.2 Quality Management System Audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
H IATF 16949 Clause 9.2.2.2 Audit System / CSR IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
T Example System & Process Audit Check Sheet for IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
C IATF Cl. 9.2.2.2 Quality Management System Audit - CQI-23 Molding System Assessment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
A Audit Finding - CAPA, Improvement Initiatives not filed in CAR System ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q Internal Audit of Product Quality Complaint System (21 CFR Part 820) Customer Complaints 9
P I want to make a system audit in accordance with ISO / TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
P System Audit Approach - Application of VDA 6.3 - Process Auditing VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 2
A System Audit on the basis of VDA 6.3 VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 5
W AS9100C registration - How long does the system have to run before initial audit? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 9
C System or Tool Audit Template wanted Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 2
B Internal Audit/Checks (7.1?) - Entire System Yearly? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
N Internal Audit of the Training System - Corrective Action Necessary? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 16
E Internal Audit Requirements of an ISO 14001 system ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
A What documents would an FDA auditor want to see in an FDA Audit of Quality System 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
F AS9100 - How many times can the same auditor audit your system AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
S ISO/TS 16949 In Doldrums - Just failed disappointingly in the ISO9001 System Audit General Auditing Discussions 7
A Can I do Quality System Audit instead of Procedure Audit in this scenario? Internal Auditing 9
A Complaint System Internal Audit - Topics to Emphasize Internal Auditing 12
M Implementing an AS9100 Quality System - Stage 1 Audit for AS9100 is Oct 2012 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 22
B Creating an Audit Mechanism (System/Plan) General Auditing Discussions 3
C Aircraft Certification System Evaluation Program (ACSEP) Audit - Who can trigger it? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 1
V Internal Audit of Integrated Management System Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
A Internal Audit for an Integrated Management System (IMS)? Internal Auditing 17
K Statistically Valid Audit Sample for Management System Audits? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
B Where do I start when I Internal Audit the Quality Management System? Internal Auditing 8
Q How to Audit the Client Quality System - Product Failure caused by no Maintenance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
J Internal Audit of the Internal Audit System Internal Auditing 81
A How to calculate the Effectiveness of the Process and Product Audit System Internal Auditing 10
C System Root Cause and CA (Corrective Action) for ISO 13485 Audit Nonconformances ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Quality Auditing System - Audit Plan per guidance from ISO 19011 Internal Auditing 8
D Performing Internal Audit of our Accounts System Internal Auditing 4
Y Tips for a first Process Audit on the QMS system at a new company Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 5
M "Lessons Learned System" - Evidence for Audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
N All-or-Nothing Rating System - Internal Audit Checklist - ISO 9001 Internal Auditing 5
P Internal audit whole system in 1 year Internal Auditing 20
Hershal Internal Audit - The full physical of the system General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
C Who is responsible for auditing the Internal Audit system? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 56
L Internal Audit Scoring System Internal Auditing 40
G External Audit Finding - Audits of System Management vs. Process Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
6 How to implement a functional system and carry out high quality internal Audit? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
G Kamishibai Audit System General Auditing Discussions 16
P EMS (Environmental Management System) ISO 14001 Audit example wanted ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 16
H Internal Audit Plan - Seperate audit plans for system, process, and for products IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4