System Audits vs. Process Audits - A clear definition of the differences between each

A

Alf Gulford

If this question has been answered already I apologize, but I couldn't find it in a search of forums.

So much discussion is taking place about the different types of audits that I find myself looking for a clear definition of the differences between System Audits and Process Audits.

In this company, we conduct two different types of audits. One type (system?) will select one of the 20 ISO sections and focus on those requirements, although any of the other 19 sections may be cited when non-compliances are recognized. I'll continue to do some of this under the revised standard.

The other type of audit (process?) is what we call an 'audit trail.' For this we generally pick a product from the shipping dock and trace it backwards through the system. In fact, as a guide, I give my auditors a generic flowchart of the manufacturing process and turn it upside down.

My feeling has always been that between the two types of audits we're pretty well covered, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something really important. So my question is (if I'm not making a molehill out of a mountain): How is a process audit conducted?

Thank you for helping me get this straight.

Alf

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G External Audit Finding - Audits of System Management vs. Process Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J Layered Process Audits vs. Internal System Audits Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 17
J ISO 13485 System 'soft start' - How to best reflect this in initial audits, management review minutes and other records? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
SteveK Labour Standards Assurance System Audits - Anyone had one? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
A A Guide to Effective Internal Management System Audits Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
E Is there a "questionnaire" for ISO/TS 16949 to assist with Internal System Audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
P How to avoid softgrading in System Audits General Auditing Discussions 21
K Statistically Valid Audit Sample for Management System Audits? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
S Internal Audits specific to a Mature System Internal Auditing 9
L Integrated Management System Audits Internal Auditing 16
Howard Atkins Official TS answers from SMMT- Layout, System Audits, MR and Doc Control IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
M Internal Audits - Integrated system audits Internal Auditing 7
V Integrated Management System Audits Schedule - Advice and Example needed. General Auditing Discussions 10
Fexjo How to Link Quality Management System, Manufacturing and Product Audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
G Are Internal Audits of the Quality System required by the FDA yearly? Internal Auditing 6
T Managing International Quality System Audits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Paul Simpson Value Added External Audits - Do External Audits add value to your system? General Auditing Discussions 36
C Who audits the internal audit system? Internal Auditing 32
E Statistical Sampling in QMS (Quality management System) Audits Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
C Internal Audits - System and/or Compliance Audits Internal Auditing 1
Claes Gefvenberg Product Audit Scoring - Using a Point System for Product Audits General Auditing Discussions 15
qualprod Assign a name to a home-made ERP system? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
H IEC 60601-1 ME equipment or ME system IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
K Biological indicator system classification under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N Chemical Testing on Medical Devices - Solutions in a container closure system (bag) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R How would you work without a quality management system? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
P Conformity assessment based on a quality management system or production quality assurance EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D EQMS - When the internet or system might not be available ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
Ron Rompen MSA on automated measurement system - Multiple Step Vision System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
S Quality management system (Well head installation & maintenance) Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
DuncanGibbons Model-Based procedures and Architecting the QMS as a System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
P How to develop executable quality management system for rookies? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
Anonymous16-2 21 CFR Part 11 - Steps to take if we want to validate an electronic system Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
M Requirement to manufacture under a quality management system EU Medical Device Regulations 4
G IMS (Integrated Management System) 9001, 14001 & 45001- Request Assistance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
K Sterile barrier system symbols - Label redlines for a Class III device (Kit Box) EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A IATF 16949 4.3.1 - Determining the scope of the quality management system - supplemental IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
R SAT (System Accuracy Test) temperature according to AMS2750E AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A Building up a global quality management system ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A Building up a global quality management system 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
T ISO 17025:2017 requirement 5.7.b. about maintenance the integrity of the management system ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
H Pedicle screw system Conformity Assessment Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
S Rees System Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
Q User Requirement Specification for HR (Human Resource Management System) Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
A Document Change Notice vs complete System re-write Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
C NCR (Nonconformance System) Software Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
K ISO 15223-1 Sterile barrier system - The 3-layer symbol EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T Ideas for developing a Supplier Quality Management System, non automotive ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Starting an ISO 41001:2018 Facility management system Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
K ERP System Software Validation - ISO13485 2016 4.1.6 Design and Development of Products and Processes 8