System Audits vs. Process Audits - A clear definition of the differences between each

A

Alf Gulford

If this question has been answered already I apologize, but I couldn't find it in a search of forums.

So much discussion is taking place about the different types of audits that I find myself looking for a clear definition of the differences between System Audits and Process Audits.

In this company, we conduct two different types of audits. One type (system?) will select one of the 20 ISO sections and focus on those requirements, although any of the other 19 sections may be cited when non-compliances are recognized. I'll continue to do some of this under the revised standard.

The other type of audit (process?) is what we call an 'audit trail.' For this we generally pick a product from the shipping dock and trace it backwards through the system. In fact, as a guide, I give my auditors a generic flowchart of the manufacturing process and turn it upside down.

My feeling has always been that between the two types of audits we're pretty well covered, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something really important. So my question is (if I'm not making a molehill out of a mountain): How is a process audit conducted?

Thank you for helping me get this straight.

Alf

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G External Audit Finding - Audits of System Management vs. Process Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J Layered Process Audits vs. Internal System Audits Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 17
J ISO 13485 System 'soft start' - How to best reflect this in initial audits, management review minutes and other records? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Labour Standards Assurance System Audits - Anyone had one? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
A A Guide to Effective Internal Management System Audits Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
E Is there a "questionnaire" for ISO/TS 16949 to assist with Internal System Audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
P How to avoid softgrading in System Audits General Auditing Discussions 21
K Statistically Valid Audit Sample for Management System Audits? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
S Internal Audits specific to a Mature System Internal Auditing 9
L Integrated Management System Audits Internal Auditing 16
Howard Atkins Official TS answers from SMMT- Layout, System Audits, MR and Doc Control IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
M Internal Audits - Integrated system audits Internal Auditing 7
V Integrated Management System Audits Schedule - Advice and Example needed. General Auditing Discussions 10
Fexjo How to Link Quality Management System, Manufacturing and Product Audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
G Are Internal Audits of the Quality System required by the FDA yearly? Internal Auditing 6
T Managing International Quality System Audits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Paul Simpson Value Added External Audits - Do External Audits add value to your system? General Auditing Discussions 36
C Who audits the internal audit system? Internal Auditing 32
E Statistical Sampling in QMS (Quality management System) Audits Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
C Internal Audits - System and/or Compliance Audits Internal Auditing 1
Claes Gefvenberg Product Audit Scoring - Using a Point System for Product Audits General Auditing Discussions 15
P Does FDA require certification for quality system internal audit for auditor? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
R Quality adjusting inventory in ERP system AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
C Do components of a system require UDIs? Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
R SAP B1 Computer System Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
D Verify Audit Trail of SaaS system Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
K System of medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 0
D Validating Operating system Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
H Article 22 MDR System EU Medical Device Regulations 16
S Searching for TOYOTA Floor Management Development System (FMDS) board Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
M Procedure for vigilance system according to new MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
bobdoering Most typical universal Quality System Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 8
G Organizing internal audit program for an Integrated QHSE Management System Internal Auditing 13
K Bioreactor/ incubator system in tissue engineering EU Medical Device Regulations 9
D Integrated Management System Software Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
E System&Procedure pack or accessory EU Medical Device Regulations 0
J Informal vs formal scope creep... managing non-medical devices through system processes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C Quality Management System Question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 32
V Csv, excel format - audit trail file of HPLC system ( Empower, openlab, EZchrom or any other ) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
I Class VI certification on seals, o-ring and plastic for a WFI system Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
A System for Supplier Documents Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 7
S MDR - System and procedure pack article 22 and all sub processes that apply ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
T Device & Accessory, Components in device, or System EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Go Live With New ERP System before Recertification Audit General Auditing Discussions 6
John C. Abnet Terms- Different Items in a system ISO 26262 - Road vehicles – Functional safety 0
T Controlling Expandable Forms in Paper-Based Document Control System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
G Management Review (integrated system) Management Review Meetings and related Processes 21
M Unique Quality Management System for 2 sites ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Orthopedic Implants (Knee system) Sterilization Indicators Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
C Projects in the CAPA system Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 6