System Corrective Actions when Conforming Product depends heavily on Inspection

T

techs

Hello,

I am involved with a process which depends heavily on manual inspection of product. Technological detection is not feasible and a high number of non-conforming products is inherent to the manufacturing process.

Inspectors have proven effective. Scrap rates are high but my PPM over two years for this defect is a whopping 2.

One non-conforming part has reached my customer however and while I have issued quality alerts and conducted training as corrective action for the failed detection, I am having difficulty coming up with a system corrective action.

Does anyone have suggestions for systemic corrective actions in cases like these?

Q

qasclk

It really depends on the industry that you are in, as well as the severity of the consequences of the defect.

If it is not very critical, sometimes we will place a picture of the defect at the workbench and include this in the Attribute G R&R tests (short method) for the inspectors involved in inspections.
However, you must note that visual inspections are only 70%-80% effective. Perhaps the low ppm is due to visual inspectors not being able to pick up these defects effectively?

Any sound corrective actions will try to improve the process up front.
If we are requiring visual inspectors to stay alert for a 2ppm defect, it will place undue pressure and may affect the output in the end.

Just my two cents

T

techs

Thanks qasclk. I intended to mention visual inspections not being 100% effective in my original post. With that information, it seems to me that there is not actually a systemic problem to correct. 0 PPM with a high defect rate detectable through visual inspection only would not be likely.

S

steve68steve

Wow!: 100% inspection in a low-yield process has achieved a sustained 2ppm defective?

I wouldn't do any CA to a system that's working that well. I'd respond by apologizing for fluke, and saying that review of the process has determined that CA is not warranted. >6 sigma.

... and then give your inspectors all a massive raise.

Top Bottom