System Reliability Projections using the Series Probability Formula

I am trying to calculate our system "reliablity projection" using the series probability formula, Rs=(Ra)(Rb)(Rc).... I have received performance data from suppliers, e.g., 1,00,000 hrs or 1,000,000 cycles, and calculated a failure rate (lambda) based on Chi Square (X^2) where:

lambda=X^2(1-a)/2t
a=1-percent confidence desired (.05)
r= number of failures = (0)
dof=degrees of freedom= 2(r+1)
t= device hours= supplier data

I want to calculate Reliability from the reliability equation: R=e^(-lambda(T)), where "T" is a specified interval of time, but don't know:

1) Is there an industry standard definition for "T", e.g., machine life, shift duration, preventive maintenance interval, etc., or can I make and state an assumption?
2) Is this even a statistically valid way to calculate a "reliability projection"?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Z

Zanzi

Steve,

I have always worked on the premise that 'T' relates to a period of time that is defined as the shift period. The standard period I use is 8 hours (unless otherwise defined).

If you are not sure you could clarify the T value with your customer or define the rationale for yourselves always using 8 hours (or whatever period you chose). Basically as these figures are predictions simplify quantify you assumptions, e.g. shift period etc.

With regards the calculation, it is statistically valid in terms of calculating the reliability over time, however I would typically calculate lamda as the failure rate, using the formula -

Total number of equipment failures / operating time = 1/MTBF

I hope that this helps and good luck - I'm currently trying to fight my way though reliability predictions as we speak so it woudl be good to know how you get on - I have no end of trouble getting reliability information from suppliers, so any ideas you have would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reliability Projections - Supplier Data

Zanzi,

Thanks for your input. We did use a self defined mission/shift time "T" to make our calculations. I received a response on the SAE discussion site, the G-11 Reliability, Maintainability, Supportability and Logistics Division discussion forum confirming, as you did, this method.

Regarding your problem of getting supplier data, I wish I had an answer. Getting supplier data was excruciatingly painful and provided very little value and return on our "investment".

I am currently working on defining how we will make reliability projections so that we don't have to do this time consuming exercise that adds no value to our product, either for us or our customer.

Wish I had more to offer.

Steve

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Reliability calculation for repairable system Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 14
A Repairable System Reliability Analysis: Uptime/Downtime Hours, Failure Modes Data Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
F Reliability of a System - Estimation of R(t) having constant failure rate "Lambda" Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
R Semiconductor Reliability Testing for System - Operating Life Test Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 11
J Graphing MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) or Reliability Data of a System Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
J Calculating Series System Reliability and Reliability for Each Individual Component Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
J Reliability Questions - System vs Component Reliability - Target Values Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 11
P Does FDA require certification for quality system internal audit for auditor? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
R Quality adjusting inventory in ERP system AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
C Do components of a system require UDIs? Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
R SAP B1 Computer System Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
D Verify Audit Trail of SaaS system Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
K System of medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 0
D Validating Operating system Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
H Article 22 MDR System EU Medical Device Regulations 16
S Searching for TOYOTA Floor Management Development System (FMDS) board Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
M Procedure for vigilance system according to new MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
bobdoering Most typical universal Quality System Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 8
G Organizing internal audit program for an Integrated QHSE Management System Internal Auditing 13
K Bioreactor/ incubator system in tissue engineering EU Medical Device Regulations 9
D Integrated Management System Software Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
E System&Procedure pack or accessory EU Medical Device Regulations 0
J Informal vs formal scope creep... managing non-medical devices through system processes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C Quality Management System Question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 32
V Csv, excel format - audit trail file of HPLC system ( Empower, openlab, EZchrom or any other ) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
I Class VI certification on seals, o-ring and plastic for a WFI system Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
A System for Supplier Documents Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 7
S MDR - System and procedure pack article 22 and all sub processes that apply ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
T Device & Accessory, Components in device, or System EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Go Live With New ERP System before Recertification Audit General Auditing Discussions 6
John C. Abnet Terms- Different Items in a system ISO 26262 - Road vehicles – Functional safety 0
T Controlling Expandable Forms in Paper-Based Document Control System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
G Management Review (integrated system) Management Review Meetings and related Processes 21
M Unique Quality Management System for 2 sites ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Orthopedic Implants (Knee system) Sterilization Indicators Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
C Projects in the CAPA system Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 6
E Insulation diagram for ECG monitoring and diagnosis system. IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
R Quality System Functional Safety Checklist / Guidance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
J Mastercontrol or other system ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
O Any info on release date of FDA “Computer Software Assurance for Manufacturing and Quality System Software” document? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
P MSA - what exactly mean "system" and master sample Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
P MSA study for visual system with artifical inteligence Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
D Big companies suffer from quality management system? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
qualprod Assign a name to a home-made ERP system? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
H IEC 60601-1 ME equipment or ME system IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
K Biological indicator system classification under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N Chemical Testing on Medical Devices - Solutions in a container closure system (bag) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J Audit Checklist for Integrated Management System for ISO 9001:2015, ISO 14001 & OHSAS18001 (IMS) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
R How would you work without a quality management system? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J ISO 13485 System 'soft start' - How to best reflect this in initial audits, management review minutes and other records? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3