System Reliability Projections using the Series Probability Formula

I am trying to calculate our system "reliablity projection" using the series probability formula, Rs=(Ra)(Rb)(Rc).... I have received performance data from suppliers, e.g., 1,00,000 hrs or 1,000,000 cycles, and calculated a failure rate (lambda) based on Chi Square (X^2) where:

lambda=X^2(1-a)/2t
a=1-percent confidence desired (.05)
r= number of failures = (0)
dof=degrees of freedom= 2(r+1)
t= device hours= supplier data

I want to calculate Reliability from the reliability equation: R=e^(-lambda(T)), where "T" is a specified interval of time, but don't know:

1) Is there an industry standard definition for "T", e.g., machine life, shift duration, preventive maintenance interval, etc., or can I make and state an assumption?
2) Is this even a statistically valid way to calculate a "reliability projection"?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Z

Zanzi

Steve,

I have always worked on the premise that 'T' relates to a period of time that is defined as the shift period. The standard period I use is 8 hours (unless otherwise defined).

If you are not sure you could clarify the T value with your customer or define the rationale for yourselves always using 8 hours (or whatever period you chose). Basically as these figures are predictions simplify quantify you assumptions, e.g. shift period etc.

With regards the calculation, it is statistically valid in terms of calculating the reliability over time, however I would typically calculate lamda as the failure rate, using the formula -

Total number of equipment failures / operating time = 1/MTBF

I hope that this helps and good luck - I'm currently trying to fight my way though reliability predictions as we speak so it woudl be good to know how you get on - I have no end of trouble getting reliability information from suppliers, so any ideas you have would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reliability Projections - Supplier Data

Zanzi,

Thanks for your input. We did use a self defined mission/shift time "T" to make our calculations. I received a response on the SAE discussion site, the G-11 Reliability, Maintainability, Supportability and Logistics Division discussion forum confirming, as you did, this method.

Regarding your problem of getting supplier data, I wish I had an answer. Getting supplier data was excruciatingly painful and provided very little value and return on our "investment".

I am currently working on defining how we will make reliability projections so that we don't have to do this time consuming exercise that adds no value to our product, either for us or our customer.

Wish I had more to offer.

Steve

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Reliability calculation for repairable system Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 14
A Repairable System Reliability Analysis: Uptime/Downtime Hours, Failure Modes Data Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
F Reliability of a System - Estimation of R(t) having constant failure rate "Lambda" Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
R Semiconductor Reliability Testing for System - Operating Life Test Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 11
J Graphing MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) or Reliability Data of a System Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
J Calculating Series System Reliability and Reliability for Each Individual Component Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
J Reliability Questions - System vs Component Reliability - Target Values Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 11
qualprod Assign a name to a home-made ERP system? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
H IEC 60601-1 ME equipment or ME system IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
K Biological indicator system classification under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N Chemical Testing on Medical Devices - Solutions in a container closure system (bag) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R How would you work without a quality management system? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J ISO 13485 System 'soft start' - How to best reflect this in initial audits, management review minutes and other records? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
P Conformity assessment based on a quality management system or production quality assurance EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D EQMS - When the internet or system might not be available ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
Ron Rompen MSA on automated measurement system - Multiple Step Vision System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
S Quality management system (Well head installation & maintenance) Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
DuncanGibbons Model-Based procedures and Architecting the QMS as a System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
P How to develop executable quality management system for rookies? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
Anonymous16-2 21 CFR Part 11 - Steps to take if we want to validate an electronic system Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
M Requirement to manufacture under a quality management system EU Medical Device Regulations 4
G IMS (Integrated Management System) 9001, 14001 & 45001- Request Assistance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
K Sterile barrier system symbols - Label redlines for a Class III device (Kit Box) EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A IATF 16949 4.3.1 - Determining the scope of the quality management system - supplemental IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
R SAT (System Accuracy Test) temperature according to AMS2750E AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A Building up a global quality management system ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A Building up a global quality management system 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
T ISO 17025:2017 requirement 5.7.b. about maintenance the integrity of the management system ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
H Pedicle screw system Conformity Assessment Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
S Rees System Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
Q User Requirement Specification for HR (Human Resource Management System) Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
A Document Change Notice vs complete System re-write Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
C NCR (Nonconformance System) Software Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
K ISO 15223-1 Sterile barrier system - The 3-layer symbol EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T Ideas for developing a Supplier Quality Management System, non automotive ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Starting an ISO 41001:2018 Facility management system Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
K ERP System Software Validation - ISO13485 2016 4.1.6 Design and Development of Products and Processes 8
F MDR system/procedurepack (article 22) with device acc. to MDD and MDR CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
M MDR requires the NB to perform "tests in order to check that the quality management system" EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S CQI-23 - Molding System Assessment - Control of part weight IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
D Classification of Syringe (nozzle) of needle free injection system. EU Medical Device Regulations 8
T Correct MSA study for an automated camera system which makes attribute inspection Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
J Medical System with non-medical device and FCC US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
B Include cost of quality (and other wastes) in an ISO 9001 system? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q Software SOP - Use and maintenance of an ERP system Software Quality Assurance 6
B Corrective and Preventive Action (CAPA) A Key Process of the Quality Management System Dec 17... Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
P IEC 62304 - evaluation of integration and system testing IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
J Quality Assurance in China - Developing a quality management system for a California company Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
S Maintaining Equipment Records - We use a manual system ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
R Bottom up approach versus system level ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2