T tests - To test for central measure (means) - Steel supplier

The company wishes to use a new steel supplier and have asked the quality department to carry out an assessment. They need to know if the new steel gives better results than the old steel on certain operations. I have assumed that a t test is to be used. I say assumed, because I have been thrown in at the deep end on this one and am struggling a bit. Now, I have the results of the t test done in Excel, but, I have no idea what the figures really point to. I would be grateful if some kind soul could explain the results to me. And, is the t test the appropriate test to use?

David

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

Dave Strouse

Devil in the detail

DJN -

I bet many of the kind souls here would be glad to help (and even some of the crusty old grumps like me!).

However, we will need a little more information.

What is it that you are measureing? Is it attribute or variable? How many samples ? How was it collected? What do you consider better?

Dave

Hi Dave. Thank you for taking the time for replying. What I am measuring is the width of a part. The data is collected using a calibrated micrometer and the dimension is a variable. The sample size is 10 parts from each batch run. There were no changes made during each run, so there were no other influences introduced. What do I consider better? Well, that is a good question. I have to say that what would be considered better is less variation from one set of parts to the other.

Many thanks

David

Darius

Quite Involved in Discussions
DJN, you said:
Now, I have the results of the t test done in Excel....

and

I have to say that what would be considered better is less variation from one set of parts to the other.
:caution: t-test is just to test for central measure (means), if you are using f-test is ok for variation. I used many times to check for a change on a process "F" test for variances and afterwards "t" (because "t test"depends on the equality of the variances), to see if the mean changed.

Another way to do it (but you need a sample bigger) and is not a test on it self, is using capability/performance index (if you have specs limits), but keep on mind the limits of the the capability index, don't just calculate the index, calculate the minimum and maximum of the index because the dependence of the sample size of such indicator.

I tink the "F" and "t" test could be it.

:smokin:

Thanks Darius. I think I will use the f test as suggested, as the sample size I have is small.

David

D

Dave Strouse

Be aware

that estimating variances using an F-test (BTW should always be capital F, after Ronald Fisher, one of your countrymen) is a ratio test of two variances and is not very discriminating for small sample sizes.

By that I mean that you will have to see something on the order of a 40% reduction in the standard deviation of the new versus old or it will not be significant. The critical value at the commonly accepted significance of 0.95 and samples of nine degrees of freedom in both is 3.

So to claim statistical significance, you will need variances in the ratio of 3:1 and that implies standard deviations in ratio 1:0.57.

Solution: more samples or less certainty in the decision.

Nine samples is adequate to give could estimate on difference in means by t-test but is a bit light for variances.

Of course if you really have improved the variance that much with the mnaterial change it will be picked up, but a 300% improvement in variance does seem like a whole lot.

R

Richard-jxb

Hypothesis Test Flowchart

I should like add that: (to my thinking)
1.first of all, you should do normality test,
2.F-test is necessary before t/Z-test;
3.you can set confidence level at 99.0%

sorry! I tried to attach the Flowchart but failed. :(

foxwilds

Starting to get Involved
I need help also.
We have a Micro-Vu vision CMM to measure plastic closures-Caps. We just added a touch probe option to the machine. I've set-up the measurement program to measure the cap with vision then by the touch probe. I' looking for input on what kind of statistical tests I should be using to compare the results. T test, Bland Altman, Coorelation Coeefficient. I'm not a real stat guy..I just play one on TV.

Thanks,

Perry

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
We have a Micro-Vu vision CMM to measure plastic closures-Caps. We just added a touch probe option to the machine. I've set-up the measurement program to measure the cap with vision then by the touch probe. I' looking for input on what kind of statistical tests I should be using to compare the results. T test, Bland Altman, Coorelation Coeefficient.
I would perform a gage R&R on each measurement process, and evaluate them in that manner. Look at %Tol and ndc. Is the question that the technique is better or adequate? Either way, you should be able to detect that with this approach.

Be sure to use about 8 touch points per circular slice for decent results on diameters. Your fixturing should ensure they hit as close to the same slice as possible. Over 10 provides no noticeable improvement.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Touch current in single fault conditions test and earth leakage current in normal conditions test, are they really different tests? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
C Performance Test Results - for TESTS or for REQUIREMENTS specifiied in Design Record? APQP and PPAP 3
Ronen E TGA may approve rapid HIV test, but only as PoCT (Point of Care Tests) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
hogheavenfarm Test taking time? Passing the ASQ Certification Tests Imported Legacy Blogs 14
T Gage R&R studies for Destructive Test Devices (pull and push tests) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
B MSA Study on Test Rig Constraints - Destructive, Long Duration Tests Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
T ISO 10993 Tests of End Product vs. Test of Material - Japanese Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
B Independent Tests - Another operator or tester to do the final test? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
E PV test Frequency - Does anyone knows the frequency for PV tests? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
O MSA for Destructive Tests - Tensile test as an example Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
K Normality Assumption - Most Tests 'Assume' a Normal Distribution - t test statistic Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
B IEC 61010-1 - Voltage / Dielectric strength tests IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
Q Old products new class - Dental Devices - Choosing tests EU Medical Device Regulations 2
G Supplier flowdown verification of tests and revisions Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 0
O Is it mandatory for Medical Devices to work properly after dielectric strength tests? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
K Changes in process dispersion, and location hypotheses tests Using Minitab Software 3
M MDR requires the NB to perform "tests in order to check that the quality management system" EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Z EN 868-8 "required tests" - Rigid sterilization containers Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
M Define voltage and frequency to perform tests 61010-1 and 61326-1 for CE certification CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Coronary, Peripheral, and Neurovascular Guidewires – Performance Tests and Recommended Labeling Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
C ABS plastic : which IEC 60601-1 tests to redo? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
J GLP accreditation for mechanical tests of medical device? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
M Routine testing of medical electrical systems - What specific electrical safety tests should be performed? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
O Statistical justification of sampling size in V&V tests ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
T Tests IEC 60601-1 - Grounding Resistance, Leakage Current and Dielectric Rigidity in an automated way IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
John Predmore A Balanced view of statistical tests Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
N ECoG/EEG electrodes - Required IEC 60601-1 tests IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
DinuStan API 6A Chokes - PR1 / PR2 Tests Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 12
E 2 participants in inter-laboratory comparison tests ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
O Is Patient Cable Exempted from EFT Tests? (IEC 60601-1-2) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
R Room requirements for electrical tests in devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M EN60601-1-2 4th edition requirements - Tests for devices produced in two options IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
S Clarification regarding tests in IEC 60601-2-25 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
F Sample Size for Biocompatibility Tests Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
T List of Tests - IEC 61010-1, 3rd edition and IEC 60601-1, 3.1 edition IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
Gamula Biocompatibility GLP conform tests outside China China Medical Device Regulations 1
W Equipment for Oven Calibration, Uniformity and System Accuracy Tests AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
T ISO 17025 Section 5.9.1 - Assuring Quality of Tests - Requirements ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
K VDA 2 Requirements of Tests for PPA VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 2
W CPU BIST IEC 62304 - Embedded code has CPU instruction tests IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
K How do you select the right grips for your tensile tests? Imported Legacy Blogs 0
Q Standardized Anodize Coating Tests Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
D Should Biocompatibility Tests be performed on Production Samples? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
R Medical Device Storage Temperature Tests and Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 14
R Is pre-conditioning supplier component before incoming inspection tests allowed? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 16
K Interpretation of IEC 60601-1-2 Electromagnetic Compatibility – Requirements & tests IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
K Mandatory Electrical Safety Tests - Regular Production Line IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
G Sample size for IEC 60601-1-11 environmental tests IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
A Non-replicable tests in MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
C Sampling plan for destructive tests on small lots ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 20