Taguchi Design with ANOVA - 3 factors each with 3 levels

S

ShervinA

Hi,
I have a GA code and I want to use the Taguchi Technique as a parameter tuning tool. I have 3 factors each with 3 levels. I used L9 array and I ran 9 experiments and entered the results.
The problem is that I don't get any ANOVA result and no interaction graphs. Would you please help me with this. :)

Thank you so much in advance.
Shervin

P.S. I attached the Minitab file.
View attachment Taguchi.MPJ

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Re: Taguchi Design with ANOVA

Minitab's Taguchi analysis does not provide much flexibility, so I recommend that you analyze this using the GLM analysis under the ANOVA menu. Another option is to define it as a custom General Full Factorial DOE.

Unfortunately, you will find that you cannot analyze any interactions because there are insufficient degrees of freedom to create the ANOVA table.

S

ShervinA

Thank you so much for your help. It means a lot.
I have another question I have projects from a couple of years ago that I used Taguchi in Minitab and the ANOVA is reported during the Taguchi method process, but in this case, nothing more than signal to noise ratios are reported. I thought maybe something is wrong with my data.
I would be really grateful if you help me with this too.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin

I have another question I have projects from a couple of years ago that I used Taguchi in Minitab and the ANOVA is reported during the Taguchi method process, but in this case, nothing more than signal to noise ratios are reported. I thought maybe something is wrong with my data.
If you attach the Minitab project file, I'll take a look. While I am quite familiar with Taguchi methods, I rarely use them anymore since I have found classical approaches to be be much better. I will have to review Minitab's capabilities in this area.

S

ShervinA

If you attach the Minitab project file, I'll take a look. While I am quite familiar with Taguchi methods, I rarely use them anymore since I have found classical approaches to be be much better. I will have to review Minitab's capabilities in this area.
I guess I found the option under Taguchi design analysis as 'Fit linear model'. It didn't work so I used GLM as you mentioned and it worked. Thank you so much. However the r- sq value is equal to 63% and I guess I can't rely on Taguchi result. Do you think considering additional factors will help or Taguchi is not suitable at all for parameter tuning?!... (the Minitab file is attached in the first post)
I appreciate any ideas and thank you in advance for your brilliant ideas.
Thanks a ton!

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
I don't like the reliance on S/N ratio. I understand why Taguchi went that route. His methodology was easier in the pre-computer days, and the engineers he was working with were in the telecommunications industry where S/N ratio was prevalent.

I now use classical methods and analyze the mean and standard deviations separately. Minitab adheres strictly to Taguchi's original approach and does not provide the options available under their classical designs.

I recommend using either classical designs, possibly including response surface methods, or an EVOP approach to tuning.

S

ShervinA

I don't like the reliance on S/N ratio. I understand why Taguchi went that route. His methodology was easier in the pre-computer days, and the engineers he was working with were in the telecommunications industry where S/N ratio was prevalent.

I now use classical methods and analyze the mean and standard deviations separately. Minitab adheres strictly to Taguchi's original approach and does not provide the options available under their classical designs.

I recommend using either classical designs, possibly including response surface methods, or an EVOP approach to tuning.
Thank you so much for your ideas[emoji4]
To be honest the first time you mentioned classical designs I thought you are talking about DOE full factorial[emoji16] but now that you named response surface and EVOP approach you got me so interested, and I want to learn them. So I'll do some research.
Thanks a lot [emoji120]

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

S

ShervinA

Don't forget that classical designs include fractional factorials and center points.
Dear Mr.Miner

Sorry to ask too many questions. I did some research and as you said I found EVOP much more reasonable and efficient. Thank you so much.
However I have another question that I can't find any answers to. My GA code takes a really long time to converge (2000 generations in 3-4 days) and I don't have enough time and resources to manage too many runs. Can I use EVOP or RSM in limited number of generations? I mean instead of running the algorithm till convergence every time I change a parameter value I'd like to compare the best answer found by the algorithm with different levels of crossover and mutation rate in just 100-200 generations? Will the best found parameter levels be reliable?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C DoE and ANOVA - 4 factor and 3 levels Taguchi design with 2 replicates Using Minitab Software 14
K Taguchi Experiments for Factorial Design Analysis - Reliability of Minitab Results Using Minitab Software 1
J F and P-value in L9 Taguchi Design Using Minitab Software 22
Y Experiential Design with Taguchi Method Using Minitab Software 2
Y Taguchi Design with 6 levels and 3 factors in Minitab Using Minitab Software 11
R Taguchi design for 3 level 4 factors Using Minitab Software 12
M Taguchi L4 Orthogonal Array Design of Experiments (DOE) in an Excel spreadsheet Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 3
B Taguchi DOE (Design of Experiments) example using Minitab Using Minitab Software 3
S Taguchi's "Robust Design" for Services Sector - Experience or Papers to Share? Six Sigma 3
A Taguchi Inner and Outer Array Design for Medical Device Testing Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
R Taguchi Design - Degree of freedom for l27 in 4 factors 3 level (Minitab) Using Minitab Software 15
P Taguchi method using Minitab - DOE (Design of Experiments) Help Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
A Shainin vs. Fisher vs. Taguchi DOE (Design of Experiments) Statistical Analysis Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 10
B WEDM Taguchi and Anova Analysis - L16 array with 5 parameters at 4 levels Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
H Taguchi mixed model DoE [L16 (4^3 2^6): factors interaction and ANOVA calculation Using Minitab Software 3
A Taguchi Minitab - Continuous Data - What should I choose as response variable? Using Minitab Software 3
M Taguchi Loss Function Problem Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
M Taguchi Signal to Noise Ratios Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
E ANOVA for Taguchi method - Four factors and three levels and nine runs (Minitab) Using Minitab Software 6
M Taguchi Analysis of Discrete Factor Using Minitab Software 10
P Taguchi Logit Transformation in Minitab Using Minitab Software 7
K Taguchi School Assignment using an L8 Orthogonal spreadsheet tool Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
P Taguchi Anova Error with Minitab Using Minitab Software 9
M Taguchi versus fractional factorial: Can somebody check the results? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
AnaMariaVR2 How to Make Things Well: Genichi Taguchi, 1924-2012 Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 1
J Taguchi Analysis using MiniTAB Using Minitab Software 1
Atul Khandekar Quality Giant Dies: Dr. Genichi Taguchi: RIP - June 2nd 2012 Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 0
V Using Taguchi method in Minitab for Coil Winding Application Using Minitab Software 11
T DOE Multi level Taguchi - I am doing a Capstone Project Using Minitab Software 10
T Taguchi DOE Analysis - What S/N ratio (Nominal is best or smaller is better) to use? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
D Mathematical Model of Taguchi L18 Using Minitab Software 7
R Analysis of Welding Parameters - Can Taguchi methods provide equation? Using Minitab Software 11
R Define Data from Taguchi to Response Surface Methodology in Minitab Using Minitab Software 2
P Taguchi's Analysis using Minitab 16 Using Minitab Software 25
Marc Taguchi Loss Function example Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
C Difference between softwares in choosing correct Taguchi designs Using Minitab Software 16
G Implementing Taguchi Loss Function in COQ - A Curious Case Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
V Quality Gurus Comparison - Deming, Juran, Crosby, Ishikawa and Taguchi Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 1
M Apply Taguchi method for Web-based application development Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
T Optimizing Multiple Response Variables Using Taguchi Signal-to-Noise ratios Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
C Is Cpm (Taguchi's Index) Superior to Cpk and Ppk? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
D Questions about Taguchi style Designed Experiments (DOE) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
S Looking for a good Taguchi book-any suggestions? Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 3
L DOE Integrated Methodology - Traditional DOE vs. Taguchi Methods vs. Shainin Techniqu Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
Geoff Cotton Taguchi quality loss function - How do I establish the 'Consumer Loss' element? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
S Desensitizing to reduce variation - A Taguchi technique? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
S How does one calculate Cpm (Taguchi process capability) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 16
Marc Zero Defects & Taguchi Loss Function - ISO 9000 and the Zero Defects Philosophy Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 32
R DFA & DFM - Examples for Design for assembly and design for manufacturability Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
D Using Laboratory Notebooks in R&D and Design and Development ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3