Taguchi Minitab - Continuous Data - What should I choose as response variable?

A

akzmn

Hi… I am working on an unconventional method to measure electrical resistivity of a material over time… There are three controllable variables (frequency, voltage, wave form) and I have chosen 3 levels for each (for example voltage could be 2V,5V, or 8V)…You can see an example of measurements (repeated 3 times under same test conditions) during 48 hours (attached pic)… I want to use Taguchi method to find the test conditions which leads to the minimum variations in resistivity readings (the resistivity value itself is not that important as the device will be calibrated, but I need to reach the highest repeatability) ….So now the question is: what should I choose as response variable (since readings are continuous)? I need a measure to show the variations over 48-hour time so I cannot use the resistivity in a single time point…thanks in advance!

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
I will start off with questioning why you want to use a Taguchi approach versus other techniques. If it is strictly because you want to minimize the variation, I can recommend some better approaches.

First, I would start with a 2^3 full factorial with center points. Take repeat measurements for each experimental run and calculate the mean and standard deviation of the repeat measurements. Then analyze the means and standard deviations separately. This will identify which factors affect the mean, which the standard deviation, which affect both or neither.

The center point will identify whether curvature exists. If it does, and is important to know, you can add axial points to the existing experiment and convert it into a response surface. Taguchi's S/N ratio just confuses things by combining different measures into a single value.

Now to your actual question, are you trying to minimize the spread between the three plots? If so, can you integrate the area between the plots? Or approximate it by calculating a delta at defined increments and totaling these deltas? If you minimize this area, you would improve the repeatability.

A

akzmn

I will start off with questioning why you want to use a Taguchi approach versus other techniques. If it is strictly because you want to minimize the variation, I can recommend some better approaches.

First, I would start with a 2^3 full factorial with center points. Take repeat measurements for each experimental run and calculate the mean and standard deviation of the repeat measurements. Then analyze the means and standard deviations separately. This will identify which factors affect the mean, which the standard deviation, which affect both or neither.

The center point will identify whether curvature exists. If it does, and is important to know, you can add axial points to the existing experiment and convert it into a response surface. Taguchi's S/N ratio just confuses things by combining different measures into a single value.

Now to your actual question, are you trying to minimize the spread between the three plots? If so, can you integrate the area between the plots? Or approximate it by calculating a delta at defined increments and totaling these deltas? If you minimize this area, you would improve the repeatability.
Thank you Miner for the explanation... I just thought Taguchi could help me get the optimum test conditions easier, but after reading your post it does not seem so... Yes I am trying to minimize the spread bw the three plots (i.e. improve repeatability of test) .. Just to make sure I got your point right: by "2^3 full factorial with center points" you mean having two factors in moderate level (assuming each factor could be set to HIGH, MODERATE, or LOW) and changing the other factor and then analyzing mean and SD, is that right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Thank you Miner for the explanation... I just thought Taguchi could help me get the optimum test conditions easier, but after reading your post it does not seem so... Yes I am trying to minimize the spread bw the three plots (i.e. improve repeatability of test) .. Just to make sure I got your point right: by "2^3 full factorial with center points" you mean having two factors in moderate level (assuming each factor could be set to HIGH, MODERATE, or LOW) and changing the other factor and then analyzing mean and SD, is that right?
No. 2^3 notation means 3 factors at 2 levels (-1 = low, +1 = high). The center point sets all 3 factors simultaneously at the middle (0) level, allowing you to determine whether curvature exists. A full factorial (2^3 = 2 x 2 x 2 = 8 runs) + 1 centerpoint = 9 total runs. Run repeated tests for each of the 9 runs. You will end up with 9 means and 9 standard deviations, which you treat as 2 different responses to analyze.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Taguchi Experiments for Factorial Design Analysis - Reliability of Minitab Results Using Minitab Software 1
E ANOVA for Taguchi method - Four factors and three levels and nine runs (Minitab) Using Minitab Software 6
Y Taguchi Design with 6 levels and 3 factors in Minitab Using Minitab Software 11
P Taguchi Logit Transformation in Minitab Using Minitab Software 7
P Taguchi Anova Error with Minitab Using Minitab Software 9
J Taguchi Analysis using MiniTAB Using Minitab Software 1
B Taguchi DOE (Design of Experiments) example using Minitab Using Minitab Software 3
V Using Taguchi method in Minitab for Coil Winding Application Using Minitab Software 11
R Define Data from Taguchi to Response Surface Methodology in Minitab Using Minitab Software 2
R Taguchi Design - Degree of freedom for l27 in 4 factors 3 level (Minitab) Using Minitab Software 15
P Taguchi's Analysis using Minitab 16 Using Minitab Software 25
P Taguchi method using Minitab - DOE (Design of Experiments) Help Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
B WEDM Taguchi and Anova Analysis - L16 array with 5 parameters at 4 levels Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
H Taguchi mixed model DoE [L16 (4^3 2^6): factors interaction and ANOVA calculation Using Minitab Software 3
S Taguchi Design with ANOVA - 3 factors each with 3 levels Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 13
M Taguchi Loss Function Problem Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
M Taguchi Signal to Noise Ratios Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
J F and P-value in L9 Taguchi Design Using Minitab Software 22
Y Experiential Design with Taguchi Method Using Minitab Software 2
M Taguchi Analysis of Discrete Factor Using Minitab Software 10
K Taguchi School Assignment using an L8 Orthogonal spreadsheet tool Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
R Taguchi design for 3 level 4 factors Using Minitab Software 12
M Taguchi L4 Orthogonal Array Design of Experiments (DOE) in an Excel spreadsheet Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 3
M Taguchi versus fractional factorial: Can somebody check the results? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
AnaMariaVR2 How to Make Things Well: Genichi Taguchi, 1924-2012 Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 1
Atul Khandekar Quality Giant Dies: Dr. Genichi Taguchi: RIP - June 2nd 2012 Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 0
T DOE Multi level Taguchi - I am doing a Capstone Project Using Minitab Software 10
T Taguchi DOE Analysis - What S/N ratio (Nominal is best or smaller is better) to use? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
S Taguchi's "Robust Design" for Services Sector - Experience or Papers to Share? Six Sigma 3
A Taguchi Inner and Outer Array Design for Medical Device Testing Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
D Mathematical Model of Taguchi L18 Using Minitab Software 7
R Analysis of Welding Parameters - Can Taguchi methods provide equation? Using Minitab Software 11
Marc Taguchi Loss Function example Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
C Difference between softwares in choosing correct Taguchi designs Using Minitab Software 16
C DoE and ANOVA - 4 factor and 3 levels Taguchi design with 2 replicates Using Minitab Software 14
G Implementing Taguchi Loss Function in COQ - A Curious Case Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
V Quality Gurus Comparison - Deming, Juran, Crosby, Ishikawa and Taguchi Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 1
M Apply Taguchi method for Web-based application development Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
T Optimizing Multiple Response Variables Using Taguchi Signal-to-Noise ratios Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
C Is Cpm (Taguchi's Index) Superior to Cpk and Ppk? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
D Questions about Taguchi style Designed Experiments (DOE) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
S Looking for a good Taguchi book-any suggestions? Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 3
A Shainin vs. Fisher vs. Taguchi DOE (Design of Experiments) Statistical Analysis Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 10
L DOE Integrated Methodology - Traditional DOE vs. Taguchi Methods vs. Shainin Techniqu Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
Geoff Cotton Taguchi quality loss function - How do I establish the 'Consumer Loss' element? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
S Desensitizing to reduce variation - A Taguchi technique? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
S How does one calculate Cpm (Taguchi process capability) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 16
Marc Zero Defects & Taguchi Loss Function - ISO 9000 and the Zero Defects Philosophy Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 32
Z Minitab - Updating Graph with specific data points Using Minitab Software 2
S Need help with analysing a survey on minitab Using Minitab Software 1