Taming the Training Expense Monster

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Hello again,

Here is the first (as long as Covers wish it) of articles in the Stealth Quality Series.

Today a dear associate saw this over my shoulder and suggested the perfect way to avoid training expenses: don't hold training at all!

But of course we must train, to position ourselves as fully capable of delivering our best products and service; certainly for standards and regulators. We just want to avoid waste while doing so.

Measuring value in employee investments can be very confusing! And the costs are becoming monstrous. They must be tamed so we can remain competitive, especially in a hot labor market. We must tame this training expense beast if we are to thrive, not just survive in business.

Attachments

• Taming the Training Expense Monster.doc
    342.5 KB · Views: 758
Last edited:

Randy

Super Moderator
Excellant!!! You've been able to put on paper what I have been teaching for years.

Why isn't this in the monthly article thread?

Jen Kirley

Leader
Admin
Randy said:
Excellant!!! You've been able to put on paper what I have been teaching for years.

Why isn't this in the monthly article thread?
I don't know; ego, maybe. Somehow The Reading Room seemed like a better place to get started in this sort of thing. I worried that people wouldn't get much out of it, or might not like it.

But I am very happy to be wrong! I am glad you like it. :)

Last edited:
C

ccochran

Jennifer,

Wow, what an interesting take on training. I've never seen this approach, but it makes perfect sense. Most organizations approach training and employee development in a scatter-shot manner, and very rarely do they really understand what it costs them or what return they get from it. Nice work! I especially like the fact that your article didn't just throw out some ideas (as my articles often do), but it provided some very concrete tools to put to use.

Craig

Q

qualitygoddess - 2010

Jennifer:

Enjoyed your article very much. I think you should put it in the monthly article "contest".

I can see using this approach with a client or two. This article is going in my tool box. Thanks again!

--Jodi

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Jennifer - In your paper, is that a spreadsheet you made?

Jen Kirley

Leader
Admin
Yes, I designed that paper to allow a reader to make their own spreadsheet and enter in the formulas I provided.

Here is the spreadsheet I used, taken from my Master Scorekeeper II tool kit for measuring organizational performance. The attached spreadsheet doesn't have instructions included like some of my other pieces do. It should be pretty easy to use though.

Attachments

• Training cost calculator.xls
    36 KB · Views: 750
Top Bottom