Tape Measure, the right device for 2 or 3 decimals accuracy on prints

Thomas Dorner

Starting to get Involved
Hello,

I am struggling finding answers to my concern with Tape Measures. I learned that if a Tape Measure is used to verify parts it needs to be calibrated. So far so good...

Now, on the other hand I learned that a Measurement system should be 10x more accurate than the print states.
For example: Print shows 1.125" ±0.030 or 1.315" ±0.060
Doesn't this mean the Measurement System should have an accuracy of x.xxxx?
Conventional Tape Measures do have an accuracy of 1/32 or less.

My uncertainty is that a Tape Measure is more likely a tool that gives you somewhat of an accuracy, it only gives you 1/32 intervals. I understand if a tolerance of 0.060 is applied it might work, but what if when a tolerance of 0.030 is applied (1/32 = 0.03125")?

I am curious to get answers that let vanish my uncertainty...

Thank you in advance for your help,
Thomas

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Many topics and threads about tape measures on here...have a browse...

Not that a tape measure has may have RESOLUTION of 1/32...that does not mean that it has ACCURACY of 1/32. Very big difference.

Put together a hypothetical but realistic human data set of results from a tape measure and pass it through a GRR and see what you get...it should remove most of the uncertainty you may have.
Don't bother spending the effort getting real data yet...save yourself the time.
Using a gage at the limit of its resolution is not a stable approach.

And pay attention as you browse through the other threads to the comments about the end hooks vs. accuracy.

HTH

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
I believe if you do what Ninja says and evaluate the measurement method for the example tolerances you showed that the tape measure will definitely not be suitable. I've seen tape measures used for steel joists 40 feet long with tolerances ±.25, but to use them for ±.06 you would need a much finer resolution.

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
Doesn't this mean the Measurement System should have an accuracy of x.xxxx?
Conventional Tape Measures do have an accuracy of 1/32 or less.
I am not sure if I am misreading your statement here, but 10 to 1 would reflect the tolerance not the number of decimals the dimension shows. In the ±.06, 10 to 1 would be a device that is accurate to ±.006.

Big Jim

Super Moderator
Your nuts if you expect accurate tape measuring results more accurate that 1/4".

Use the right tool. Likely a caliper and maybe even a micrometer.

The 10 to 1 rule is referring to resolution. In the case of a tape measure, you probably don't have that. Example:

Widget A is 10.00+ .01″

If you were to follow the Rule of 10 here, you’d want to select a measurement system that has 10x the resolution of the dimension tolerance (.01″), therefore it would have to be resolute to .001″.

As others have stated, use a caliper or even a rule.

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Hello Thomas!

It seems to me there are several issues within your question (a good one, by the way).

First, it seems you need to determine a suitable instrument to make measurements to satisfy your customers needs.

So I'll take it that your customer requires the part to be made within these specifications:

1.125" ±0.030 or 1.315" ±0.060

So... you want a device that has accuracy to at lease .060 inches or better.

Let me ask you... if those were your specifications and you were paying good money to have these parts made, would you want your customer using a ruler/tape measure? :cool::D

Let's suppose that you have a tape measure (and for arguments sake) it's calibrated and the resolution is 1/32 (.03"inch). You still have to make sure that everyone reads and interprets the analog scale the same way.

So I think you may have the minimum required instrument for the reading. However, I would suggest purchasing a digital caliper (or micrometer) have it calibrated, and use that tool to demonstrate compliance to the customers specifications.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Using a Tape Measure for +/- 1/16" Tolerance - Large Welded Assemblies (6 to 12') Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
Q Validating Tape Measures used to Measure Product Conformity to Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
J Tape Measure Verification - Starrett 72" certified steel rule General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
C Get 2 soda cans and a tape measure Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 10
D Gage R&R on one tape measure to represent all identical tapes Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
H Five Foot Caliper vs. Tape Measure - Tolerance issues General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
L Tape Measure Calibration - I asked if I had to do nominals, was told no! General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
K Re-validation of EtO sterilization after change of tape Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
R Tape Measures NOT used for Inspection or Testing Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 12
I Batch Numbering for medical tape EU Medical Device Regulations 1
AnaMariaVR2 DIY Fixes Don't Meet CGMP: FDA Slams Manufacturer for Fixes Involving Tape, Rubber Ba Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
Q Sampling Plan for Paper and Tape Industry Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
L Product numbers & sources for ASTM D3359 adhesive tape Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
A Japan - Medical Device Classification for Autoclave Tape Japan Medical Device Regulations 6
I Cleaning Validation for Durapore Tape Cutting Machine EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C Carton Boxes for Surface Mount Tape and Reel Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
D Gummed Water Activated Packaging Tape causing Mildew? Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
P PMMA IRK304 Resin and EVA (Ethylene Vinyl Acetate) Tape causes a Stain Mark Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
P Metal Tape Plating Process - CQI-11 Required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
P Exempt from Calibrating our Tape Measures and Micrometers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 32
Q PPAP for Materials - Rolls of adhesive tape, rolls of films and sponge material APQP and PPAP 5
D For Reference Only or Calibration/Verification - Tape Measures for cutting bar stock ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
P Tape Measures (again) Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
N Sufficient measurement of length - 4:1 TUR - Basic 25ft tape measures Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
Z Industrial Standard on Accelerated Ageing test for plastic carrier tape Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 8
B Steel Measuring Tape - Can a Steel Measuring Tape be excluded from calibration? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
J Pressure Sensitive & Gummed Tape IMDS Reporting RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 5
Scott Catron Tape-less digital video camera buying advice After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
T Calibrating or Verifying Metal or Steel Tape Measures General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 190
A Tight Control Limits - Tape & Reel Process, the process of packaging ICs Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 27
J Measuring Tape Repeatability and Accuracy - Types of tapes - ECIII, ECII and ECI Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
L Generic Accuracy of a 100 foot Tape Rule General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
P Need Tape Spec for MSCH 62 Full Tape Wrap & MSDC 13-B Spot Tape Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
J Verbage to cover tape measures General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
Icy Mountain Reasonable calibration? 50 foot measuring tape and other basic M&TE General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 25
D Gage R&R required on 6" rules, tape rules, verniers or micrometers? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
R Gage R&R for measuring tape for some wire length inspection Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
L Tape Measures & Scales - Part Tolerance - Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 24
R Calibration of Tape Measures used for reference General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
G Steel Tape Rules - Does the length of the leads have a significant impact? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 21
D Calibration of Tape Measures used on our production floor - What are 'Best Practices' General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 42
S How to measure severity if my product is designed for emergency use and failure would result in death? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
A Looking for a third party to calibrate our measure equipment - South Carolina General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
J Validity / outcomes measure for custom made medical device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
D Performance specification as a Risk Control Measure, EN 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
J KPIs or Metrics to Measure a New Complaint Handling Process 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
D Torque fractional unit of measure; cN-m or N-cm? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
qualprod ISO 9001 5.1.1 - How to measure System effectiveness ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
J How to measure a Critical Characteristic that is a Basic Dimension Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
I Can we use pin gauges to measure an accurate Cpk ? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9