SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

TC 176 Website - Request for an Interpretation Feature

harry

Super Moderator
I am sure this is not new but I just bumped into the TC 176 SC 2 website and saw that we can now request for an interpretation.

Not sure what happened to the 'old' interpretations - I was looking for it.

Added in edit:

however ISO/TC 176/SC2 will only accept requests for interpretations from ISO's Member Bodies (e.g. National Standards Bodies or recognized Liaison organizations).

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
I have not had a chance to read all of the "new interpretations", but a couple that I perused show that this process is destined to challenges.

For example, the committee answered the following question with a NO:
Can a person who is independent of the organization’s management (e.g. a consultant) undertake the role of management representative?
while saying YES to the related question
In our organization we have a management representative appointed by top management, who works for the company in a managerial capacity. He is not a permanent member of staff, but works full-time on a contract basis. Is it allowable under the standard, for such a person to act as the organization’s management representative?
The committee also $ugge$ted for interested parties to look for guidance in the ISO handbook: “ISO 9001 for Small Businesses – What to do; Advice from ISO/TC 176.

The whole premise of universal interpretation is flawed and to limit oneself to YES/NO answers make it even more difficult. I wish they would drop the interpretation process as is, OR SIGNIFICANTLY re-engineer it.

V

vanputten

I believe the difference in the 2 answers is based in the use of the word "independent." In the second quote/interpretation, the consultant is acting as part of management and is not independent.

The problem with interpretations is the assumed meaning of words and lack of operational definitions.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Does anyone know why the TC 176 website has been hijacked by CSA? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
Sidney Vianna What ISO Standard (under the TC 176) supports the UN Sustainable Development Goal #10? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 11
Sidney Vianna ISO 9001 News Tirelessly Improving the Brand Integrity of ISO 9001 - Working Group under ISO TC 176 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 42
B Discussion on TC 176 and ISO 9001:2015 8.7.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
Sidney Vianna Are the TC 176 Documents on Risk Based Thinking useful to you? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
D Examples of Process Audit - Not just ISO/TC 176/SC 2/N544R3! Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 2
Sidney Vianna Should the TC 176 Re-word the Requirements for Preventive Action? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 60
ScottK ISO/TC 176 Interpretation reference RFI-011 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
I Need link to PDF file ISO TC/176/SC2 Home Page ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
W Interpretation of ISO 9001 clauses issued by TC 176 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S ISO/TC 176 SC2 is now reviewing some minor changes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Sidney Vianna Advice from ISO/TC 176 for Sector specific standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
Sidney Vianna All the TC 176 documents - ISO 10020 - Customer Satisfaction Monitoring and Measuring ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Sidney Vianna ISO TC's 176 & 207 & other Stakeholders Joint Vision ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
V General Info on ISO 9000 and Technical Committee 176 - Getting Involved ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
Sidney Vianna The ISO 9000 family - Status of all the documents administered by ISO TC 176 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
D ISO 9001:2000 TAG Committee - TC 176 is responsible for ISO 9000:2000 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
J Article: ISO 9001 Management Systems - Info gathered by ISO/TC 176 Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 4
K ISO / TS 16949 Draft "Disapproved"? December 2001 US TAG ISO/TC 176 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
Marc TC 176/SC 2 Communique ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
U Is there any website out there that summarizes all relevant standards? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
R MDR, Annex I, 23.1 Interpretation - IFU on the website EU Medical Device Regulations 5
dgrainger Informational EU medical device website change from 'Growth' to 'Health and Food Safety' (6/2020) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
N Updating the website of the manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Q Must product name be listed the same name in FURLS, UDI, GUDID and Company Website? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Sidney Vianna IAQG News IAQG has a new website - December 2019 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
A Contraindication Safety Statement in website - Radiotherapy equipment Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
D Are medical device companies required to document every change made to their website? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
Z Two Payment Identification Number (PIN) for the same order in DFUF website 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
I 2017/745 (MDR) - Instruction for use (IFU) - manufacturer's website EU Medical Device Regulations 15
M Informational USFDA Ethylene Oxide Sterilization for Medical Devices website Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R Publication of user information in manufacturer website for medical devices Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
E EU MDR GSPR 23.1 information on website CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
Ed Panek Website to ask FDA for guidance in Medical Device Industry? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
M Trouble with Europa website - Internal Server Error (March 2019) EU Medical Device Regulations 5
J How to look up Failure Modes on FDA website FMEA and Control Plans 4
M Medical Device News EC – Commission reply to a Petition “For a Compensation Fund for PIP Breast Implants and CE” from the website change.org Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Z Does a website needs to comply with Part 11? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 6
M MDSAP Transition - Health Canada Website Notice on Apr 13 2018 Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
C Medical Device Website Change Control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
W Website change documentation - Labeling and Audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Where to Find DEV and DFE numbers on FDA Website Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
R The on-line re-certification option on ASQ's website Professional Certifications and Degrees 5
Marc MDD Harmonized List of Standards Website Moved Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
E Does posting your IFU on your website constitute elabelling? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
S Can I view listed drug products on FDA website similar to listed medical devices? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 4
Marc Silent Movie Review Website Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
L New Website from the FDA concerning UDI Exceptions, Alternatives and Time Extensions Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
R Control of company website and social media Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
B New website for AIAO-BAR - Unaccredited Accreditation Body ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 33