SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Teaching Metrology - Vernier vs Digital

Caster

An Early Cover
Trusted Information Resource
I have been away for quite a while!

Lots of changes in my life, good to see some old familiar faces still here.

I am still working full time, but have started teaching evenings to try to ease into semi-retirement.

I have a basic metrology course upcoming....so I need someone to talk me into teaching vernier scales instead of digital.

This course is quality engineering, not machining.

Would rather teach MSA than vernier reading in the limited time I have ...what am I missing?

Cheers

Caster

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
To me the most important notion about this topic is that digital calipers are NOT "more accurate". People see that the digital display has a 0.01mm resolution and are deceived into believing that it's meaningful. I always say "don't trust a calipers to a degree more than +/-0.5mm", and that's when measuring solid metal parts. For plastics etc. it can get worse.

dwperron

In reality, your students are much more likely to be using digital calipers in their work. I agree that you would give them more value teaching MSA than in showing them how to use an old school technology. The few that ever will need that skill can find plenty of YouTube videos out there on the subject:

dgriffith

Quite Involved in Discussions
The joy of a vernier scale is something your students should experience. Give the "YouTube" videos as homework for familiarization if you don't have class time. Bringing in an inexpensive 'plastic' vernier caliper and letting them handle it/pass it around shouldn't impact your schedule too much.
We have a P&W Measuring Machine built in 1948 still in great shape. It has a vernier scale and still works just fine.

Caster

An Early Cover
The joy of a vernier scale is something your students should experience. Give the "YouTube" videos as homework for familiarization if you don't have class time. Bringing in an inexpensive 'plastic' vernier caliper and letting them handle it/pass it around shouldn't impact your schedule too much.
We have a P&W Measuring Machine built in 1948 still in great shape. It has a vernier scale and still works just fine.
Good idea to assign as extra homework...it is amazing to me just how little can be covered in a few hours a week of lectures

Last edited by a moderator:

Caster

An Early Cover
The concepts of equipment condition, sources of operator error (Abbe's law, flinching, parallax, rounding, etc), and how to minimize I believe should be topics to cover in teaching metrology whether using a vernier or digital caliper.
Thanks - good details for coverage. I touched on flinching a bit this semester when measuring tensile test bar gage length. The students were surprised to hear about it...I see awful rounding in lab reports....lots to teach

Last edited by a moderator:

Caster

An Early Cover
Hi all

Just a quick thread bump, teaching in the Covid reality is proving complex

I miss the human interaction, even in the hands on labs we are across a bench....we can't touch to show....

All lectures are on line and all labs are limited in class size to keep safe distancing

The students and I miss the collegiality part of the college experience

It will be intersting to see how this group copes in the real World with fewer people skills, working in a lab group with someone who doesn't pull their weight was probably a more useful life/career skill than any calibration trick they will learn

Cheers and stay safe

Joe C

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
at the risk of repeating....although use of digital measuring devices or instruments may in some cases be preferable, this situation is much like math vis-a-vis calculators/computers and knowledge of the manual equations, formulas and how to use.....the background and ability to use the same is very important

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J ASQ Chicago Training Institute - If any of you are interesting in teaching ASQ Certification preparation ASQ - American Society for Quality 1
Sidney Vianna ISO Repository of Teaching Materials Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
C Teaching Medical Device Regulation and Validation - Course Content ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
J Reference books for teaching Basic Business Management Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
P Process Audit Instruction paper for teaching university students General Auditing Discussions 2
V Quality Fundamentals - Teaching Materials in Arabic? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
Q Teaching Motion Efficiency to Machine Operators Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 13
C Teaching Sales to Market the fact that we are ISO 9001 Registered ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
F Re-Training an Employee on the Use of Micrometers - Teaching Disaster Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
ScottK Lean Projects for my home - Teaching my family the principles of 5s Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 60
A Project Sweden - Teaching Lean - A Diary Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 39
W Subliminal teaching and training methods - Seeking Links / Resources Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 13
P Teaching Total Quality Management - How do I monitor my teaching inputs? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 9
Q Teaching Executives about the Benefits of Statistical Analysis and Problem-solving Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 20
Q Ideas for teaching statistics by using games - Games Trainers Play Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
N Electronic teaching of statistical methods Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
G Quality Culture - Teaching Quality is as Important as Safety Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
V Teaching Quality! The History of Quality (from Artisans to TQM) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 37
R Tools used for measuring (New to metrology) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
G ITAR Registration for Metrology Laboratory? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
F Online courses - Metrology, standardization, calibration and ISO 17025 Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
F Electrical Metrology (Source/Generation and Measurement) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
L How to manage a Metrology Department or Calibration Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
K Dueling Metrology Labs - Two different labs telling you two different things General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
V Temperature/humidity requirements in internal metrology laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
G Looking for a Metrology Course preferably Dimensional and Electronics Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
B New to Metrology and told to complete Gage R&R with AIAG compliant software Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 16
G Metrology Laser Reliability General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
bobdoering Available SPC and Metrology Consultants Paid Consulting, Training and Services 0
O Metrology Devices to Measure the Basic Dimensions of Plastic Specimens General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
M MSA - Validation of Metrology Software such as PCDMIS Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
J How to measure effectiveness of the Metrology Process General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
D Mad Metrology - A fun Metrology Game General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
N Designing an attribute MSA for a new piece of metrology equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
I SPC Statistical Analysis in Metrology General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C Building a Dimensional Metrology Laboratory to Inspect various Physical Measurements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Hershal Metrology Careers - Potential good Paying Jobs in the Science of Measurement Field Career and Occupation Discussions 1
P I am looking for some Metrology Procedures Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
R Metrology Control Charts for Reference and Working Standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
D Correction and Degree of Error - Metrology Definitions and Differences General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
J Requirements for Hardness of Metrology Instrument Parts General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
J Reputable Third Party Inspection (Metrology Lab) In USA? Cam Profile Measurement General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Metrology and GD&T Employee Evaluation Test Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
V Has anyone used Empower (Calibration/Metrology software)? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
Jim Wynne Great Moments In Metrology History--Underwear Caliper Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 6
S Metrology Logistical Support General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S Standard Equipment List for Stocking a Dimensional Metrology Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
P Anyone seen Metrology Improvements (P/T, GR&R) as Six Sigma Projects? Six Sigma 3
M Metrology Room Lighting Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
Hershal A Primer on Metrology General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4