Teams and Lean Manufacturing

E

energy

What if?

Howdy Y'all,

What if it is determined that Lean was a mistake? The advocates of such a program will probably say, “That can’t be. Processes can always be Leaned.” (After all, they say so.)
As we are winding down, the trainers are scratching to show a reduction in some processes to justify their existence. Their panic is evident. “Well, you were already “Leaning” your processes before we got here.” So? Your point is? Good business practice is to eliminate redundancies and waste. You don't need Lean to do that. A good group of people with an eye on the bottom line can do it as well as any "professionally concocted fad" designed to line someone elses pockets.
The team has been tasked to "come up with some things" to put in the report to the CEO showing him that it just wasn't a waste of time and money. Why? Because they couldn't "Lean" anything but the company coffers.:eek: When I originally posted my negative opinion of the "Lean" process, I had just come from the class with that as a home work assignment. I will not justify their existence or that of "Lean". Let them do it. And, they better be honest or they will know what "Mean" is.:smokin:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Curt,

I knew what you meant, no problem there. I like many of the concepts too. The Lean concept, as developed by Taichi Ohno in the early 60s and promoted heavily here by Jim Womack, is a good concept. But to energy's point, the concept is not new. Elimination of needless redundacy and waste dates back to before recorded time.

Two of the largest problems I see with Lean are: the interpretation of what Lean is and the interpretation of what Lean is. For starters, Senior level managers do not recognize that Lean Manufacturing is a methodology and set of tools. It is not a philosophy but they try to use it like one. Secondly, Senior level managers often think that Lean is lean. In many of their minds, lean means canning a few positions or not filling others vacated by attrition, lowering the denominator in the 'profit per employee' equation. This is done often lacking common sense and good ethics. I agree with energy on the level of frustration experienced. If you love people, seeing this practice is infuriating!

In our organization, 5 positions were dissolved. Reason given: redundancy. In the last week, we have had several meetings to discuss who will take over vacated responsibilities which begs the question: redundancy? While invariably there was some overlap, the question in regards putting someone out of work needed to be closer examined. The message sent is quite clear: justify yourself. In this environment, will teamwork flourish or fade? Would you put yourself at risk in absorbing additional duties thereby minimizing your effectiveness and efficiency at any one of them?

Environment is a key factor to the success of teams and their ability to create teamwork. If a company was serious about the success of programs, they would reflect less on the financials initially and focus on the impact of the program. In recent months, Lean has been associated with Six Sigma. No mystery there, the focus is on financials. The strength of a Financial Paradigm is very strong when championed by a Chief Financier. Lots of long-term damage can be done. But I digress...

Kevin

E

energy

We ain't scared

Kevin,

Not once was the elimination of positions or personnel ever discussed. All our people were all hired with certain skills. These skills are vital to the business. In the event of an ecomonic slowdown, there would be 4 day work weeks or some other schemes to retain people. That wasn't or is the problem. The problem is there is no problem with waste or redundancy. The decision to hire is often based on people being able to perform mutiple tasks, effectively. I agree that you can become inefficient if your workload is too great. But, when that situation arises, cross training becomes your best weapon. We have had Designers with no work because of a slow down in "drawing" work. These people have gone to the GM looking for work. Any kind of work. They have assisted in the warehouse, shot blasting operations, assembly work and other tasks outside the scope of their regular duties. That's how a company survives. We are a "working team" who resent someone preaching the team concept here. It's a waste of our valuable time because we know there is no fat in our methods. You get aggravated when "Professionals" talk to you like you're in the fifth grade and offer nothing new. Large companies that are steeped in tradition and have hundreds of employees CAN benefit from a program like Lean Mfg. It just doesn't figure in here. Arguments against going through the Lean Program here to the "Main Main" fall on deaf ears because the depth of what we actually do is unknown to him. Our company could be drawn as a Pyramid with a blunt tip. It's like a hidden company within a company. So, it's back to ancillary duty as Safety/Environmental Manager. Guess what? I'm deemed as effective:biglaugh:

I love the pop up message that comes on the screen saying that you or someone else has posted to a thread I subscribe to. Like a moth to the flame, I'm drawn. Later Guru:lick: :smokin:

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Curt de Mich

LEAN

Kevin,

To date our management staff has lost 3 positions 1. Purchasing 2. Inventory Control 3. Scheduling Coordinator. Of those lost to "lean" ZERO have been or will be replaced. It has fallen on the shoulders of the rest of us to pick up the slack:mad:

:biglaugh: Our senior management just doesn't seem to understand that "lean" is process oriented:rolleyes: If ever they would take the time to attend some of these seminars, that they themselves mandate maybe then they would understand.

Our largest customer proposed that we send all of our front line supervisors to a 3 day seminar on "lean". The lean concepts were presented very well, but with out any knowledge of our manufacturing process. Therefore most information was virtualy useless. I must give our supervisors high praises, for they tried in vain to bring back as much of this information overload as they could. We started to look at dock to dock, first time through and eliminating non value added steps. All was well until management realized how much time was involved in the implementation of such concepts. :eek:
from that point on it was about eliminating positions not steps in the process.:confused: . A select few are still trying to do some good but we still meet heavy resistance.

The best thing to come from "lean" training is our 5S housekeeping TEAM. I just realized that because they just came through my ofice...

C-YA,

Curt

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Many organizations depend on attrition to make the "profit per employee" acceptable. How many ask why someone is leaving in the first place? Why not build the numerator through planned activities, market research, increased business and just hire fewer to do things because the processes and system has been optimized?

The former is much easier to do.

Kevin

C

Curt de Mich

Originally posted by Kevin Mader
Many organizations depend on attrition to make the "profit per employee" acceptable. How many ask why someone is leaving in the first place? Why not build the numerator through planned activities, market research, increased business and just hire fewer to do things because the processes and system has been optimized?

The former is much easier to do.

Kevin
:D EXACTLY:D

C-YA,

Curt

M

Michael T

Re: What if?

Originally posted by energy
Howdy Y'all,

What if it is determined that Lean was a mistake? The advocates of such a program will probably say, “That can’t be. Processes can always be Leaned.” (After all, they say so.)
As we are winding down, the trainers are scratching to show a reduction in some processes to justify their existence. Their panic is evident. “Well, you were already “Leaning” your processes before we got here.” So? Your point is? Good business practice is to eliminate redundancies and waste. You don't need Lean to do that. A good group of people with an eye on the bottom line can do it as well as any "professionally concocted fad" designed to line someone elses pockets.
The team has been tasked to "come up with some things" to put in the report to the CEO showing him that it just wasn't a waste of time and money. Why? Because they couldn't "Lean" anything but the company coffers.:eek: When I originally posted my negative opinion of the "Lean" process, I had just come from the class with that as a home work assignment. I will not justify their existence or that of "Lean". Let them do it. And, they better be honest or they will know what "Mean" is.:smokin:
Greetings all....

Sorry I missed this yesterday - I was home with a sick baby... poor little guy... :(

I propose that "Lean" does not work... not after it's initial blush. It falls prey to the law of diminishing returns. I'll grant that if a company has been operating "fat" during the boom of the '90's, they may have some areas they can legitimately be examined for those redundancies and inefficiencies that can cause excess waste. However, after a company has gotten all the benefits it can from "Lean Manufacturing", how much more "lean" can you get?

Another problem with "Lean" is that it is typically manufacturing or shop floor focused. It doesn't necessarily look at the whole organization or how the whole organization is operating. Gods forbid if you cast the "Lean" eye on the Executive VP's wife's job in "Advertising" who couldn't design a decent ad campaign if her life depended upon it, or the Marketing VP's brother-in-law's job as a salesperson who couldn't sell water in the desert. No... we aren't going to focus on that "fat". Besides, the people on the shop floor don't know what is going on in the front office. Yeah...right. :rolleyes:

Something else that has disturbed me about "Lean Manufacturing" is the feeling that it absolves Management of their responsibility to run a "tight ship". If you throw "lean" on the shoulders of those on the floor, where is management's part in all this?

Just some thoughts on a Wednesday morning...

Cheers!!

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I am just going to jump in here, nothing really new to say but one of my pet peeves is managers who think they should jump onto the bandwagon of every "new?" program that hits the streets.

Lean should be the norm, not the exception. Why have redundant processes, people, programs and whatever? The purpose of any business is to make money. Any other commitments are good, but if the company cannot make money, it doesn't matter how many other warm and fuzzy missions they have. It's common sense, right?

The statements about cutting shop floor personnel and continuing to add administration personnel are too often true. I've been in industry a lot of years and seen it happen often. But, isn't that only a reflection of poor management and the inability to grasp the concept? I count myself lucky that our Corp. is actually pretty good at running lean, treating people fairly and taking care of community, cultural and environmental concerns.

If you truly want to run lean and you have your personnel in order, take it another step further. Just for fun, go walk around the plant and pick up every shop rag laying discarded on the floor. Or check out how much paper is wasted by printing stuff out and tossing it in the trash with no visible signs that it was used. Lean is not a program to be followed from some training manual, lean is a way of life and very individual for each company.

Oh, well, I feel so much better now that I have ranted. I hope that I haven't offended anyone out there who has a string of letters after their name, but sometimes common sense is under-rated.

Have a good one!

E

energy

Not to worry

Originally posted by SteelMaiden

I hope that I haven't offended anyone out there who has a string of letters after their name, but sometimes common sense is under-rated.
SteelMaiden,

Don't worry about the letters after the name. I never do!:rolleyes: Besides, I have some letters, too. Jr.:biglaugh:

It really isn't the letters as much as the layers of skin. Go for it!:smokin:

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Well, I've got a couple of letters after my name too, so I don't really mean any harm, but my experience has often shown that some of the very smartest people I've ever met had the least common sense, whereas Forrest Gump knows where the true core values lie.
Have a good one!:)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
rerusk1 MRB (Material Review Board) Process using MS Sharepoint or MS Teams Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
D Reorganizing responsibilities between management teams and Employees in them ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
J Microsoft Teams to manage Internal Audit System? Internal Auditing 3
Q Conflict Management - Systemic way to manage conflicts within Teams Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 6
D Validation Review Board - Industry Standards for Validation Teams ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
V What is best practice to track Quality Teams Effectiveness & Efficiency. Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
V Relevance of Self Managed Teams (SMTs) in Regulated Industries Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 5
C New Quality Manager - Establishing Teams in different Business Units Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
E Encouraging Teams to raise Issues ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
M Implementation of Quality Circle Proposals? Teams are getting resistance Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
J Internal Audit Teams - How big the audit team should be and who should be on it General Auditing Discussions 6
G Report template for quality process audits of the software product teams Internal Auditing 1
GStough Do your internal auditors work in teams or individually? Internal Auditing 29
D How to write up a CAR against a 'team' when all teams have the same 'problem' Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
G Self Directed Work Teams - Anyone using SDWT in their company? Manufacturing and Related Processes 19
J Plant Quality 'War Room' - Advanced Program Teams Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
S What Teams Will Be In The 2005 Superbowl And Who Will Win Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 21
T What are Quality Management Teams and how do they work? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 6
B Audit Teams - We have trouble keeping auditors General Auditing Discussions 11
M Lean: Conducting Capacity Study, calculating Cycle times on laser cutting machines Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
G Lean Kaizen: continuous, step-by-step improvement in the Lean direction Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 0
L Lean Transformation - How do you get Senior Leadership engaged Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 6
I New to LEAN but not to Quality - How to run Kaizen events Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
JAMESH Building a "Lean" Job Shop Training Program Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
D Lean and Elimination of QC Inspection Points in a New factory Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
N Student trying to apply Lean Six Sigma on a Construction project in my thesis Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
J Lean MFG (manufacturing) process and Work order templates Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
eule del ayre Lean Six Sigma for Quality Management System Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 10
T ASQ Lean 6sigma BB examination Six Sigma 3
Marc ASQ Lean Six Sigma Conference March 4-5, 2019 - Phoenix, AZ ASQ - American Society for Quality 0
Bev D ASQ Lean Six Sigma Conference March 4-5, 2019 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
qualprod How to start with Lean? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
R Lean's New Buzzword: Leader Standard Work Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
S Levels of Lean Six Sigma Certification Six Sigma 3
J Excellent Resource on Statistics / Lean / Six Sigma Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
B Looking for Lean Manufacturing Articles in Spanish Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
L Lean Book for Basic Knowledge Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
0 Suggest a Lean Book for Upper Management Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
M Lean Time Line (History and Theory) Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
tony wardle Lean and TS16949 - Integration Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
E Lean Manufacturing in Oil & Gas Industry Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
Bev D ASQ 2015 Lean Six Sigma Conference: Bev D's Presentation Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
L Lean in the ISO9001:2015 World Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
M Total Productive Maintenance vs. Lean, Six sigma, Business Process Reengineering, etc Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 9
O Implementing Lean Intranet Sharepoint Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
Q Advice for the Implementation of a Lean/Six Sigma Program Six Sigma 9
D Any experience with the SME/AME/Shingo/ASQ Lean BOK/Certifications? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
O Lean Tools in Labour Intensive Manual Manufacturing Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 20
A Lean and ERP software Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 0
J Lean Appropriate KPIs for a Distribution Centre Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1