Telemedicine as a Medical Device

Hello,

In our hospital, a clinician has developed a software described as telemedicine.

It is intended for patients from the hospital to interact with the software when they have any kind of symptoms. Once the patient idenfies the symptoms and opens the software, it directly opens up a questionnaire that addresses those symptoms until they are almost completely described, and then a chat is popped-up allowing the comunication with the clinician (which has received the result from the questionnaire).

The clinician could diagnose or indicate a treatment to alleviate the symptoms through that chat.

In this case the software could be used to communicate symptoms, diagnostic or treatment. In this case, would the software be considered as a medical device?

If the chat is only open to tell the patient: give us your phone number and we will call you, then the software would be also considered medical device?

Should risks as cybersecurity attacks be a reason to consider the software as medical device?

Should risks as missdiagnostic that leads to further invasive or burdensome tests be a reason to consider the software as a medical device?

Thanks in advance

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Zero_yield

No cost too great...for Quality
Hello beltrans,

On the FDA website regarding digital health, I found a link to this tool for determining which regulations apply to an app.

So following the questions:
1. Do you create, receive, maintain, or transmit identifiable health information?
-Based on your original response, I'm saying "yes," which takes us to question 2.

2. Are you a health care provider or health plan?
-You said you're part of a hospital, so I'm saying "yes," which takes us to question 5.

5. Is your app intended for use in the diagnosis of disease or other conditions, or in the cure, mitigation, treatment or prevention of disease?
-Which I think is your question. If you answer "yes," then the software is a medical device.

However, it also has a broken link to something called "Mobile Medical Applications Guidance for Industry and Food and Drug Administration Staff", which I believe was superseded by this document. Appendix A and B are examples that are NOT medical devices, and examples that should probably be medical devices.

I am not an expert on this topic, but looking at the examples of each, it looks like the software rides a very fine line.

For example, these two sound similar to what you're describing and are examples of things that are NOT medical devices:

5. Software functions that are generic aids or general-purpose products – This software is not considered a device because it is not intended for use in the diagnosis of disease or other conditions, or in the cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease. Examples include software functions that:
...Allow patients or health care providers to interact through email, web-based platforms, video, or other communication mechanisms (but are not specifically intended for medical purposes);
11. Software functions that are specifically marketed to help patients document, show, or communicate to providers regarding potential medical conditions – These products either pose little or no risk, or are the sole responsibility of the health care providers who have used them in medical applications. Examples include:

o Software that serves as a videoconferencing portal specifically intended for medical use and to enhance communications between patients, health care providers, and caregivers.
However, the second the app starts doing anything to recommend treatment, everything flips. For example, this is one of the items listed as something the FDA intends to exercise enforcement of:

7. Software functions that use a checklist of common signs and symptoms to provide a list of possible medical conditions and advice on when to consult a health care provider;
So I would be very careful of scope creep when people start suggesting other things they want out of the software.

Junn1992

Quite Involved in Discussions
I would say no, because it is not the software that provides diagnosis, and the intended use is simply for patients to communicate with the physician.

dgrainger

Trusted Information Resource
MDCG 2019-11 has a section that is applicable:

"d) Communication Systems
The healthcare sector uses communication systems (e.g. email systems, mobile telecommunication systems, video communication systems, paging, etc.) to transfer electronic information. Different types of messages are sent such as prescription, referrals, images, patient records, etc.​
Most of the communication systems handle types of messages other than medical information. This communication system is intended for general purposes, and is used for transferring both medical and non-medical information.​
Communication systems are normally based on software for general purposes, and do not fall within the definition of a medical device.​
Communication system modules might be used with other modules that might be qualified in their own right as medical devices (MDSW).​
A software module generating alarms based on the monitoring and analysis of patient specific physiological parameters is qualified as a medical device (MDSW)."

I don't think it would qualify as a device unless there is some built in decision making algorithm.

These types of products do tend to evolve, so keep an eye on what extra functionality is added over time!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Regulatory Requirements for telehealth or telemedicine in India Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
S Regulatory Requirements for Telehealth or Telemedicine in South Korea Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
K 2021/2226 on Electronic Instructions for Use (IFU) for medical devices Article 22 Packs EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Definition of disease as per medical device defintion EU Medical Device Regulations 14
Q Class I Medical Device with measuring function (UK MDR 2002 / MDD) UK Medical Device Regulations 3
G No new regulations in Austria medical device register after 26th Mai, 2022 EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A What activities are included in the action of marketing you medical device in U.S.? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
M CE marked medical device - do they need UKAS certified calibration provider ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
C Is there a definition of accessories for medical devices in China? China Medical Device Regulations 1
C Is there a list of products or classifications subject to medical device regulations in El Salvador? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
R Class II Active Medical Device SYSTEMS and COMPONENTS Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
B Rework of a medical device EU regulations EU Medical Device Regulations 5
R Interesting Discussion Chapter 7.5 of ISO 13485 for manufacturers of mobile medical applications ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Drawing Requirements for Catalog Items (Class II Medical Device) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
A Registration of medical devices in Greece EU Medical Device Regulations 0
V ADDING NEW MEDICAL DEVICE / Product, WHEATHER THIS AFFECTS EXISTING ISO 13485 CERTIFICATION? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
I Customer Feedback Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C Regulatory Affairs in a start-up medical device company Career and Occupation Discussions 1
L Non Applicability of Clauses in ISO13485 for Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
M Medical Devices - DFM Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
somashekar Medical device file Vs Role undertaken by the organization ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Medical Device Label - Language EU Medical Device Regulations 2
D MDR: Active medical device or not? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 14
H Mapping QMS+business processes in a medical device with class I and IIa+b Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 3
Aliken Registration veterinary medical device (laser) requirements Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
B Transport Validation For Non-sterile Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T Classification Accessory Software medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 4
J CGMP Medical device slide deck Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S Post Market Surveillance Report (PMSR) for Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M Notification Requirements for Medical Device Raw Materials 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
I Madagascar medical device regulation Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
R Steam sterilizer medical device reclassification EU Medical Device Regulations 6
G Software Medical Device Classification EU Medical Device Regulations 7
E Brass in medical equipment Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
A Mandatory Languages Requirements for Medical Devices CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
N Shelf life guidance EU MDR, class 1 and class 2 Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J Robotic arm with a camera, active medical device? EU Medical Device Regulations 12
B Do I need a Cleanroom to manufacture Medical Devices? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
D Out of specification procedure for Medical device manufacturing Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
cgaro62 Does FDA apply to a non-medical 13485 certified custom manufacturing company? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
K Medical Device Shipping Container Label Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
S Is Amalgam Separator considered a Medical Device in US and EU? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
K New to Medical Device QMS and would like advice ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
C Medical device label storage conditions EU Medical Device Regulations 11
W Regulation of medical device in Hong Kong Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
M Inspiring leaders in the medical device industry ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
A Layered Process Audits for Medical Device Manufacturing? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Derrick Yang 各国医疗器械上市流程的区别 (Differences in the listing process of medical devices in various countries) Service Industry Specific Topics 3
P Transferring medical data from a device (Sec 201(h)): regulatory implications US Medical Device Regulations 3
R Is "SAFE" permitted in class 1 medical device marketing claims? US Medical Device Regulations 1