Temperature Gage on an Oven was Out of Calibration Period

B

bobbelden

If a temperature gage on an oven missed its last calibration and was subsequently recalibrated and the as tested condition was within spec are the parts that were in process at the time the gage was past due acceptable?

B

Boscoeee

Re: Temperature gage on oven out of calibration

If a temperature gage on an oven missed its last calibration and was subsequently recalibrated and the as tested condition was within spec are the parts that were in process at the time the gage was past due acceptable?

Yes, however you have some administrative questions to answer.

Does your procedure allow for the extension of the the calibration cycle?

Does your procedures allow of the disposition activity if the the gage is found to be out of calibration?

Is your recall system effective?

B

bobbelden

Does anyone have an opposing view. I have a goverment inspector who beleives they are not and won't buy them and he is quoting ANSI/NCSL Z450-1 Calibration Laboratories, Measuring and Test Equipment- General
Requirements.

BradM

Leader
Admin
Does anyone have an opposing view. I have a government inspector who believes they are not and won't buy them and he is quoting ANSI/NCSL Z450-1 Calibration Laboratories, Measuring and Test Equipment- General
Requirements.

Please ask him to cite the specific line stating such out of the specification.:)

Boscoeee is correct. A calibration interval is just that; an interval. However, that interval needs to be observed, and like Boscoeee stated, you need to look at your system as to why this occurred, and how to keep it from happening again.

If all the industry observed what this inspector is telling you, there would be an enormous graveyard of "unacceptable" product. :D

Now.... product should not have gone through the oven while it was past due. But if the oven performed satisfactorily, and there is no evidence of any product-related issues, I don't see why they won't buy the product.
:2cents:

S

step30044

Please ask him to cite the specific line stating such out of the specification.:)

Boscoeee is correct. A calibration interval is just that; an interval. However, that interval needs to be observed, and like Boscoeee stated, you need to look at your system as to why this occurred, and how to keep it from happening again.

If all the industry observed what this inspector is telling you, there would be an enormous graveyard of "unacceptable" product. :D

Now.... product should not have gone through the oven while it was past due. But if the oven performed satisfactorily, and there is no evidence of any product-related issues, I don't see why they won't buy the product.
:2cents:

I agree this should not be an issue, but what was the period the oven was overdue calibration? The auditor maybe taking the perspective that your system is not in compliance if you allowed a calibrated instrument to be used out of cycle for an extended period of time. It doesnt bare well for your calibration recall procedures and the oven operators.

BradM

Leader
Admin
I agree this should not be an issue, but what was the period the oven was overdue calibration? The auditor maybe taking the perspective that your system is not in compliance if you allowed a calibrated instrument to be used out of cycle for an extended period of time. It doesnt bare well for your calibration recall procedures and the oven operators.

You make excellent points, here.:agree1: No disagreement.

The customer is essentially saying they were failed products (by not buying them). That's a little much, IMHO.:)

S

step30044

You make excellent points, here.:agree1: No disagreement.

The customer is essentially saying they were failed products (by not buying them). That's a little much, IMHO.:)

Brad I think this maybe one of those instances were the auditor will need to educated by the company he is auditing lol

S

sixsigmais

Yes. However, the customer or auditor still can give NC to you.
The reason is you are using the "non-qualified equipment" to check on the product during "that period" without noticed

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
Had the gage came back out of calibration, then your auditor's reaction would be warranted. But, to come back in calibration, and still reject the product is not a very intelligent interpretation of the specification. Not sure if I can say it any nicer.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Had the gage came back out of calibration, then your auditor's reaction would be warranted. But, to come back in calibration, and still reject the product is not a very intelligent interpretation of the specification. Not sure if I can say it any nicer.

You might be too nice. :tg: If we assume that the device was subject to excursions while between calibrations (which is essentially what the auditor must be thinking), then calibration doesn't serve a useful purpose in the first place.

Last edited:
Top Bottom