Temperature/humidity requirements in internal metrology laboratory

Hello,

I know it is a norm that specifies temperature/humidity requirement in a metrology laboratory, but i can't remember it.

Thank you.

P.S.: I am working in automotive industry, the lab. is equipped with CMM machines.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
I really don't know of specific requirements for laboratory environments. The standards require that the environments be adequate for the work being done in them. This means you choose temperature (actual and stability), humidity, cleanliness, etc. based on the level and type of calibration being performed. And you need to monitor your environment.

There are recommendations. The best is NCSLI RP-14 Guide to Selecting Standards Laboratory Environments. They have suggestions based on types of work performed. Other documents include ISO 554 and ISA-RP52.1.

A suggestion is to evaluate the specifications of the equipment used in your lab. There are normally environmental ranges attached to the tolerances, and if you go beyond these you must account for environmental contributors to your uncertainties. If you can stay within the environmental requirements of your equipment it will save you a lot of work compensating for it.

mr500

Starting to get Involved
In my experience, the labs usually stay at 68 +/- 2 deg. If its outside that, then Zeiss will not guarantee the calibration on my CMM. I've worked in that temp range since 1998 with no issues. Humidly is not a major factor for my work here. Only temps

6 SIGMA

Inactive Registered Visitor
Most title blocks on prints reference ANSI Y14.5 M or whatever the latest spec is. In the first few pages of that spec it states that all measurements are valid at 68°F ±2° or 20°C ±1°. If measurements are not recorded at this temperature range then one must calculate and compensate for thermo-expansion.

This is the key reason why QA Labs are maintained at 68°F.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Sterile Medical Device Temperature and Humidity (Storage) Labeling Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M Temperature and Humidity requirements for Raw Material Storage and Quality Labs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
D PCBA Lab Temperature & Humidity Requirements - Advice needed Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
I Temperature and humidity storage requirements? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
D Temperature and Humidity requirements for a Calibration Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
L Internal Calibration Laboratory Requirements - Ambient temperature, Humidity, Etc. Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
C One Time Service Supplier - Temperature and Humidity Testing Service ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Q Weigh Scale Electronics - Suggested Storage Humidity and Temperature Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
B Do I need to perform Gage R&R on a Digital Temperature & Humidity Gage Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 18
M Daily Temperature and Humidity Graph template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
B Temperature/Humidity inside a store Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 7
H What is the ISO Class 7 cleanroom requirement on Temperature and Humidity ? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
T ISO 2230 (Guidelines for Storage of Rubber Products) - Temperature, Humidity & Light Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 8
T Calibration Laboratory Temperature/Humidity goes out of tolerance due to Power Loss General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
D Buying a Temperature and Humidity Device, and Calibration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
D How to use temperature and humidity environmental control data? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 18
B Analytical Lab Environmental Condition (Temperature & Humidity Control Limit) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
S Temperature and Humidity Chamber Verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Need source for temperature and humidity gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
M Temperature/humidity monitoring process procedure Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
N Uncertainty for Humidity Probes - Temperature Effect from 0.5?C dew point = 1.3%rh Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
J Controlling Temperature and Humidity in the CMM Room and does anyone use Artifacts? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
D Is Temperature & Humidity monitoring in a Metrology / Test Laboratory required? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 28
L Seeking Data Logger Validation Example - Temperature and Humidity General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
P Temperature and Humidity Device Calibration - Came back as Out Of Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
C Convert Dewpoint Temperature specification to RH (Relative Humidity) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
P Environmental Conditions for Calibration - Temperature and Humidity General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 22
R Laboratory Environmental Controls - Temperature and Humidity General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
B ASME B89.6.2 - Temperature and Humidity Environment for Dimensional Measurements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
R QS-9000 3rd edition - Laboratory Process Control - Temperature and Humidity General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
R SAT (System Accuracy Test) temperature according to AMS2750E AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
W Insulation requirements of BF type infant skin temperature probe IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
B Temperature loop: partial calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
D ASTM C1064 Temperature Measuring Device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C ETO Sterilised Class II Medical Device - Required Temperature Storage ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Microscope slide warmer temperature control General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S ISO 18223-2 Temperature symbol in the Legend table in the Instructions for Use Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
B ASTM F2924-14 /ASTM F3001 - Room temperature classification criteria Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
O Selection of a calibrator (pressure generator, temperature) for my field devices General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
shimonv Symbol for temperature limit EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M Pharmaceuticals Warehouse temperature control (room temperature) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
T 5ºC Storage Temperature Validation - Urology disposable devices EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M CQI-9 monitoring of temperature in die Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
C ISO 11607-1 Packaging System - Temperature and shipping conditioning Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
G Calibration Laboratory Dimensional Temperature Question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
P Qualification of a Temperature Controlled Unit have to be empty? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
D What is the exact Temperature Coefficient Value to be set on a Conductivity Meter? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
K Temperature Uniformity Survey (TUS) - Vacuum Furnace General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
R Saudi Arabia - Temperature Storage Requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
H Performing a TUS on a Furnace used at One Temperature - AMS2750-E AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 27