Template for Excel Validation

Carol2015

Involved In Discussions
Hi

Does anyone here have a standard template to use to validate Excel as OTS? Also, how do I create a template to validate Excel using specific formulas in a technical protocol?

Jen

Starting to get Involved
We don't have a standard template. I only validated those formulae or functions that we used. For example, we use plus formula routinely in our process. I will use at least three test cases such as 1+1, 1+123, 22+67 to make sure the plus formula in excel is able to churn out the correct answers. I usually use another device such as a calculator to verify the answer.

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
In addition to what @Jen posted, there are likely other considerations. (The depth of validation should be risk based, of course.) The main thing with spreadsheets is data integrity. Consider range checking and data validation for each value entered. Precision of the calculation may also be important. Are you locking down everything except where there is data entry? What controls are in place to ensure the data isn't changed after the original entry? Even taking a step further back, is the spreadsheet itself being controlled (could someone unknowingly change the formulae)?

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
Also, how do I create a template to validate Excel using specific formulas in a technical protocol?

Generally speaking, one usually builds several test cases reflective of the work they are doing that they need validated. The test case is calculated using an independent means, generally a person with a calculator, and then run the same problem through your Excel spreadsheet and see if you get the same answer. Screen shots help record the result for posterity.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
We always validated our XL tools using a calculator and paper...9th grade algebra test with "show your work" required.
Then we put that paper(s) on file as validation.

Standing rule on the floor was "if you drag and drop anything, ever, you get {what we called} a green card"
The green card was not a nice thing that I won't post here...it was a very visible way for any operator on the line to call out someone acting stupidly, with perhaps dangerous outcomes.

Top Bottom