Temporary Change of Process Controls - IATF 16949 Clause 8.5.5.1.1

tongxiaozhi

Involved In Discussions
What's the purpose of 8.5.5.1.1: temporary change of process controls? What shall I do to meet the requirements?

What if our process is quite stable and there is no alternate process?

thanks in advance

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Hi there,

I think that it like a contingency plan for control plan because you can't sure whether your equipment is suddenly broken down in the future or not.
For us, we included it into 4M change procedure.

Blaest

Involved In Discussions
That must be clause 8.5.6.1.1

As I see it the procedure for 'alterntive control methods' shall be activated based on the risk analysis (such as FMEA) - from the FMEA you have the Control Plan which is the outcome of the risk analysis.

The logic (as I see it) here would be that from every line/check in the Control plan there shall be an alternative control method.

This was also the clear message I got from the SMMT Industry Forum trainer.
No, I do not like the sound of this message either.

Ajay Akole

Involved In Discussions
What's the purpose of 8.5.5.1.1: temporary change of process controls? What shall I do to meet the requirements?

thanks in advance
I think that clause no 8.5.6.1.1 gives requirement about process control means inspection, measuring, test, and error-proofing devices, that includes the primary process control. And not about the process.

Pieht

Registered
Ok, I hope someone sees and reads this...and can help.

I am dealing with an auditing-company (in Germany) that believes that "process controls" includes all machinery.
So...CNC milling cutters, drills, grinding machines.
I, on the other hand, understood "Process controls" to be things, that make me see if my process is "ok". So as listet here numerous times: inspection, measuring, tests, error-proofing devices.

So...what is it?
Measuring-Devices of all possible sorts?
Or the above AND "Everything" that can influence the process??

I would really really appreciate an answer to this, because as it is, we do not know what to do.
Thanks in Advance,

Peter

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
I would take a narrow view and state that it means what is in that particular column of your control plan. So if you use inspection as a control, then all the gagues that makes that up. If you use a machine setting/CNC etc. as control, then that control/software, etc. Good luck.

morteza

Ok, I hope someone sees and reads this...and can help.

I am dealing with an auditing-company (in Germany) that believes that "process controls" includes all machinery.
So...CNC milling cutters, drills, grinding machines.
I, on the other hand, understood "Process controls" to be things, that make me see if my process is "ok". So as listet here numerous times: inspection, measuring, tests, error-proofing devices.

So...what is it?
Measuring-Devices of all possible sorts?
Or the above AND "Everything" that can influence the process??

I would really really appreciate an answer to this, because as it is, we do not know what to do.
Thanks in Advance,

Peter

Hi,

Based on my understanding, process controls are any equipment/systems used to inspect/measure/test product and process characteristics. equipment can also be a machine. For example, in automotive gearbox assembly line, gearbox screws are tightened a controlled (for torque value) by an automated equipment. the alternative control method is usually manual torque meter.
So, drilling machines are not control equipment. they usually only drill.

morteza

Hi all,

In clause 8.5.6.1.1, IATF 16949 also requires:

The organization shall include in this process, based on risk analysis (such as FMEA), severity, and the internal approvals to be obtained prior to production implementation of the alternate control method.

I can not understand the structure of the above sentence. My understanding is that:
based on risk analysis (such as FMEA) and severity, the organization shall defined any internal approvals to be obtained prior to production implementation of the alternate control method.

But as you see in the original text, there is no "and" between risk analysis (such as FMEA) and severity, so I think that my understanding could not be true.

May someone explain me the structure and intent of the above requirement?

Thanks

jack770214

Involved In Discussions

thanks in advance
The key word is controls. Say your automated inspection tool goes down and you need to go to 100% visual inspection or use a backup inspection tool. You need to have a change management process that includes updating your control plan and pfmea SOD calculations. Dude you would have to hire me as your quality manager for me to assess everything that needed to be done. Your IATF training should have covered this bro. Also there are many threads in the forum on this. We impress the hell out of customers and auditors with our global change mangement system. Its critical to our biz and handling changes such as alternate process control methods is a tiny piece of it.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G More on IATF 8.5.6.1.1 - Temporary Change of Process Controls IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
B IATF 16949 Clause 8.5.6.1.1 (Temporary Process Control Change) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 24
P IATF 16949 Clause 8.5.6.1.1 - Temporary Change of Process Controls IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
M Temporary Process Change Form needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
A Temporary Change of Manufacturing Site - Notified Body Notification Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
P How to specify criteria for TECN (Temporary Engineering Change Notice) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
J Looking for examples of "Temporary Change Request" form Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
P GM TWO (Temporary Work Order) - Is there a specific GM format for the TWO# to be sent with the material? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M FDA News USFDA Proposes to End Temporary Extension of GUDID’s Grace Period Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
S Is management representative a temporary post or a job title Management Review Meetings and related Processes 16
C How to Control Temporary Inspections Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
A Safety Shoes & Temporary Workers - Is it correct to reuse again or not? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 11
S Temporary Facility Used For Production - Use of existing Third Party Logos ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
P Seconded Staff and Temporary Assignments Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
Q Temporary Control of Scrap at the Machines while the Process is Running Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
P NQA-1 Requirement 17 Quality Records - Facility Types and Temporary Storage Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
R Minitab for I-MR - Monitoring Process on Temporary Basis & Temporary Limits Using Minitab Software 6
ScottK Are Temporary Employees considered Employees from a Procedural Standpoint? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 19
H Capturing temporary actions in PFMEA in terms of manpower, lessons learned FMEA and Control Plans 9
C Temporary employment agencies for temporary quality engineers and/or quality managers Career and Occupation Discussions 3
F Developing a corporate GMP/Quality training program for temporary workers Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
C Temporary Laborer Training Requirements - 6.2.2 Competence, Awareness and Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
S Temporary worker within the Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
SteelMaiden Signs of the Times? Temporary Staffing and Mini-Storage Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
C What should a temporary, remote location have in place to ensure OSHA compliance? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 14
M Temporary Deviation Procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
C Training Requirements for Temporary Employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Temporary Employees Training and Employee Retention suggestions needed Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 38
P Evaluation of personnel suppliers (Contract / Temporary - Engineers) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
I Temporary Bandit, Ad Hoc or Rogue Records, Forms, Data, Documents - How to Justify Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 30
D Engineering Change Order (ECO) metrics to track ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
P Notified Body Approval of Change EU Medical Device Regulations 2
F Change to Formulation due to Reach (China Medical Device Regulations) China Medical Device Regulations 0
E Change in control plan - Do I have to do sampling? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S Forced ServiceNow validation - No change in our current user and functional requirements IT (Information Technology) Service Management 6
M Address change for a company with CE/ISO13485 EU Medical Device Regulations 2
G Need to change KPI we called NC parts (maximum 3%.) to FTQ (first time quality) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
J FDA notification of address change US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
D Class 3 Device - Change of supplier of material Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
D List A IVD - Change to material supplier EU Medical Device Regulations 3
R Change Management vs Opportunity for Improvement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Is There a Revision History or Change Log for Canadian Regulations? Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
C Brazil - Product Code (and brand) Change Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
S Requirement to Conduct New Shelf-life Testing? (re-do testing for design change) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
dgrainger Informational EU medical device website change from 'Growth' to 'Health and Food Safety' (6/2020) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Sub-supplier change from manual to automated process - same specs - Report to FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S Special 510(K) - Labeling change from Rx to OTC Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
A Document Change Notice vs complete System re-write Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
S MDR Delay - MDD design Change? (before new MDR DOA) EU Medical Device Regulations 8
Jane's Like-for-like critical raw material change qualification - type of testing/ number of lots required ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4