Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Ten Things Management Can Do To Destroy a Quality Culture

L

Laurie Anderson

Rob and All,

I was so tickled by your "Ten Things Management Can Do To Destroy a Quality Culture" it has caused me to come from behind the bushes and expose myself here in the cove. I have been lurking around since Oct 2003, so I guess it is about time. I passed the "Ten Things................." to my boss and he also got a kick out of it as well. Gee why does that remind me of Greg's Apes.

I have come to admire many of the Cove regulars for the way they handle the problems of others as well as their contributions in general. I may not always agree with what is said but that in no way changes my opinion. Now that the ice has been broken I hope I can Contribute, or at least Participate in the future

Thats again Rob For waking me up.

Laurie

G

Greg B

Laurie Anderson said:
Rob and All,

I was so tickled by your "Ten Things Management Can Do To Destroy a Quality Culture" it has caused me to come from behind the bushes and expose myself here in the cove. I have been lurking around since Oct 2003, so I guess it is about time. I passed the "Ten Things................." to my boss and he also got a kick out of it as well. Gee why does that remind me of Greg's Apes.

I have come to admire many of the Cove regulars for the way they handle the problems of others as well as their contributions in general. I may not always agree with what is said but that in no way changes my opinion. Now that the ice has been broken I hope I can Contribute, or at least Participate in the future

Thats again Rob For waking me up.

Laurie
G'Day Laurie,

Welcome to the Cove. It is good to have another Aussie onboard.

PS: Go the Blues. Don't be put off by my 'Queenslander' monica. Born in Wollongong!!

J

James Gutherson

Welcome Laurie

Hi Laurie, good to see another Sydneysider here.

I used to contribute fairly regularly, but have been lurking lately as well.

Laurie Anderson said:
Now that the ice has been broken I hope I can Contribute, or at least Participate in the future
Hi there Laurie, and welcome among the posters. When I first found the Cove, I found so many good threads I wanted to read, that I simply didn't have the time to do any posting myself. Thus, just like you I lurked for a long time before I started contributing. There is no stopping me now, though....

/Claes

Govind

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Rob,
There are many points, I could not agree more. Nutshell, you made your point in style.

I very much liked the point 4:

Rob Nix said:
Do not spend a lot of time planning, organizing, strategizing, or (in short) -managing. Fighting fires is the most productive use of your time. And besides, it is the comfort zone of most top managers, since it is likely how they got where they are. Getting involved in every problem that occurs each day shows you are a “hands on” kind of executive - your people will respect you for it.
People don’t have time to wait until preventive action to take its effectiveness. Everyone wants a "vending machine" approach to problem solving. You put the coin in, get the candy out.

Moreover, organizations adore fire fighters- since the results are readily visible. Quality Engineers quietly working on DFx and FMEA hardly ever get noticed.

Organization should start to reward employees for effective planning and preventive measures. Not always for containment and correction. This would be my spin on your point # 4.

Finally, Rob Nix, I cannot wait any longer to see you next article (if you wish to write); Ten things Management can do to destroy employee morale? :)

Regards,
Govind.

R

Rob Nix

To: Craig C., Craig H., Steve P., Sal88…, Greg B., UBD Anders, Mike S., Groo3 (although cautious), Laurie A., Claes, Peter H., and Govind,

I very much appreciate your nice comments on the article. I am generally not much of a “writer”, but every once in awhile some topic just hits a nerve and I pour my guts out onto a piece of paper. So, in that respect, I can credit the several top execs I’ve had the “opportunities” to work with for providing fodder for learning. A couple of things I’ve learned is, #1) that things are pretty much the same wherever you are, and #2) we quality people are an industrious lot and always find ways to keep good systems afloat despite management.

I value all of your input. It is true that the Cove is greater than the sum of its parts. I’m going to stop before I get all gushy.

Top Bottom