Tentatively approaching a Certification Body - Any tips?

A

apinop

So we are in the process of setting up our QMS (and your advice on a previous post of mine has been incredibly helpful to get us unstuck).

In principle we do not require certification by an accredited body, but we may go for it nonetheless. For one thing, the industry regulator can then use the certificate as proof of compliance as regards the QMS, and for another, many in our industry are ISO-9001 certified so that may give us a slight advantage.

However, we will only do it if the costs and any possible overhead can be kept at reasonable levels.

I was going to pick up the phone and start ringing the accredited bodies in this country, but it occurred to me to perhaps ask here before for any tips on how it might be best to approach this, considering that we may or may not go ahead with the accredited certification at this time (the main factor being cost vs. potential benefit).

The advice by Sidney Vianna in an old post [1] appears very relevant, and I'm also reading through some of the other threads, such as [2] and [3].

I have a feeling that the majority of CB customers will come to them as established companies, rather than right off the bat as in our case, so I expect not every CB may be experienced or comfortable with this scenario. Have any of you been in a similar situation, either as a customer or an auditor?

[1] https://elsmar.com/Forums/showpost.php?p=533135&postcount=3
[2] https://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=46069
[3] https://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=18976

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
I've nothing to offer in direct response to your question, but it's helpful to work with a CB that is willing to let you interview the auditor prior to signing on with them.

Not all CBs can/will do this, but I prefer (to use a metaphor) to meet for coffee before committing to a blind date ;-)

R

randomname

I line Normzone's idea. Remember that the CB is a supplier to your organization, and should be assessed and monitored as such.

Golfman25

There is definitely an advantage if you know your auditor before hand. We where able to work with a group of like minded auditors over the years. We followed them from CB to CB. I have spent countless hours with the auditors over the years. Talked to the CB for maybe an hour total.

A

apinop

I guess there is a consensus that it's the individual auditor that counts (mostly), and that it is with them, rather than their CB, that a relationship will be built.

Any particular traits to look out for in a good auditor (as opposed to a CB¹)? And conversely, any sure signs of a psychopath?

¹ I found this PDF helpful in that regard: elsmar.com/pdf_files/Registrar_C.pdf

normzone

Re auditors, it's very helpful if you can find one with some experience in your field or something similar. If you drill oil wells and the auditor comes from food service or vice versa, it will be a challenge.

As for psychopaths, just the usual advice for interviewing somebody. We all have our interview personae we use - I try to get the person to relax and let down their guard and let you see what they are genuinely like. If they are unwilling to step out of character after a while, they are generally going to be tightly wound, which may translate into difficult to deal with in the long run. Your mileage may vary.

Randy

Super Moderator
Take Sidney's advice, and if you interview me I may tell ya what you don't want to hear. Also the auditor you get 1st may not be the one you end up with in the long run, things change as do auditors

A

apinop

If you drill oil wells and the auditor comes from food service or vice versa, it will be a challenge.
Yes indeed. This is in fact a major concern for one of my partners, as he can't see how an auditor can determine whether we are "doing it right" in a very technical field that employs less than a thousand people worldwide. I am not so bothered as, except for the very fine details, I believe that a capable consultant should be perfectly able to follow through and ask the right questions.

With that said, I'll consider asking our industry regulator (who will audit us) for the name of their own auditors. That way at least there will be some common ground between all of us.

normzone

Take Sidney's advice, and if you interview me I may tell ya what you don't want to hear. Also the auditor you get 1st may not be the one you end up with in the long run, things change as do auditors
Well put, and in general if your QA guy does not periodically tell you something you don't like hearing then you're not getting your money's worth.

" If you drill oil wells and the auditor comes from food service or vice versa, it will be a challenge."

Yeah, I may have better phrased that as " MAY be a challenge". A good auditor will be able to set aside their own experiences in other fields while applying those lessons to your field.

There are generally equivalencies between the most complex and simplex operations - customers have fantasies, and your organization turns those into deliverables that you can charge money for. Everything in between is meeting customer requirements and being able to prove that you do so, and doing what is appropriate to sustain the relationship. :agree:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc Ford's newest SUV is B-I-G - Tentatively called "Everest" World News 0
Sidney Vianna OASIS database - deadline for setting up an administrator is fast approaching AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
Stijloor REACH Regulatory Deadlines Approaching - Prepare Your Company RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 5
I Turtle maps and Flowcharts - How is everyone approaching Turtle maps and flowcharts? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 16
E Nissan Audit Approaching Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
A Documents of External Origin - Approaching & Satisfying this Requirement? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 17
S Certification of equipment after move General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
J Help to understand and response to API AAR during the re-certification audit Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 17
G Medical Device Auditor (CMDA) certification exam by ASQ - looking for input Career and Occupation Discussions 3
D Automotive Customer asking for ISO 14001 Certification from suppliers ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
I Foreign manufacturer registered place of business in EU for CE certification EU Medical Device Regulations 1
eldercare Multi-Site ISO/AS Certification Requirement for some sites ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
Casana ISO 17025 - Contractor certification? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
blackholequasar ISO 13485 certification prior to Medical Device Manufacturing... worth it? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Commonizing use of Certification Body providers within a Global Organization Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
P Does FDA require certification for quality system internal audit for auditor? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
M Can we combine AS9100 and DO-254 certification? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
H R&D Lab ISO 9001 certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
L Significant subcontractor update, still under MDD Certification, possible? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
B ISO 13485 Certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S How to calculate Effective Number of People for ISO 13485 Certification? General Auditing Discussions 2
S Inventory prior to AS9120 certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
P Certification process for registered device China Medical Device Regulations 12
F Medical cart self certification EU Medical Device Regulations 1
B Managed Certification Projects FAA vs EASA EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 0
B Regulatory Affairs Certification (RAC) Book - Fundamentals of Medical Device Regulations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
B IATF Certification Body Recommendations Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
C Certification vs Accreditation Training (General) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
I Class VI certification on seals, o-ring and plastic for a WFI system Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
G Trying to get a financially reasonable ISO Certification Body Registrars and Notified Bodies 8
A Selling products with OEM certification expired EU Medical Device Regulations 0
G ISO 13485 Certification - Can we get the ISO 13485 certification prior to shipment of the device? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
N Does anyone use SGS for ISO 13485 / CE certification Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
S Clean room not part of my certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J EC Certification transfer from CMO to Legal Manufacturer Possible? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
A Can a organization use a disclaimer "pending AS9100 Certification" in Marketing Information? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
S Certification Body Changeover - Transfer of Certificate Registrars and Notified Bodies 9
N Traditional 510K Submission-Financial Certification or Disclosure Statement 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
J Quality Objective for QMS prior to Certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
J Where to get a Black belt certification ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 13
D ISO 13485 & CE Certification for Surgical Gloves CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
K MDR Class 1 Self Certification - Competent Authority or Notified Body? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
R GMDN and UMDNS Codes certification EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M ISO 13485:2016 Certification Scope ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
R IATF 16949 Certification for new site with transferred product--what is the impact with CSR and scorecards? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
B IATF 16949 Cert Expire- New certification body IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
C Budgetary cost to obtain ASME NQA-1 Quality Program Certification Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 0
V Certified Auditor - Need of additional certification specific to industry ( GMPs) ASQ vs ECA vs others Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
Le Chiffre Online training available for ISO/IEC 17021-1: Requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of management systems Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
B Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification for military customers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5