Tentatively approaching a Certification Body - Any tips?

A

apinop

So we are in the process of setting up our QMS (and your advice on a previous post of mine has been incredibly helpful to get us unstuck).

In principle we do not require certification by an accredited body, but we may go for it nonetheless. For one thing, the industry regulator can then use the certificate as proof of compliance as regards the QMS, and for another, many in our industry are ISO-9001 certified so that may give us a slight advantage.

However, we will only do it if the costs and any possible overhead can be kept at reasonable levels.

I was going to pick up the phone and start ringing the accredited bodies in this country, but it occurred to me to perhaps ask here before for any tips on how it might be best to approach this, considering that we may or may not go ahead with the accredited certification at this time (the main factor being cost vs. potential benefit).

The advice by Sidney Vianna in an old post [1] appears very relevant, and I'm also reading through some of the other threads, such as [2] and [3].

I have a feeling that the majority of CB customers will come to them as established companies, rather than right off the bat as in our case, so I expect not every CB may be experienced or comfortable with this scenario. Have any of you been in a similar situation, either as a customer or an auditor?

[1] https://elsmar.com/Forums/showpost.php?p=533135&postcount=3
[2] https://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=46069
[3] https://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=18976

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
I've nothing to offer in direct response to your question, but it's helpful to work with a CB that is willing to let you interview the auditor prior to signing on with them.

Not all CBs can/will do this, but I prefer (to use a metaphor) to meet for coffee before committing to a blind date ;-)

R

randomname

I line Normzone's idea. Remember that the CB is a supplier to your organization, and should be assessed and monitored as such.

Golfman25

There is definitely an advantage if you know your auditor before hand. We where able to work with a group of like minded auditors over the years. We followed them from CB to CB. I have spent countless hours with the auditors over the years. Talked to the CB for maybe an hour total.

A

apinop

I guess there is a consensus that it's the individual auditor that counts (mostly), and that it is with them, rather than their CB, that a relationship will be built.

Any particular traits to look out for in a good auditor (as opposed to a CB¹)? And conversely, any sure signs of a psychopath?

¹ I found this PDF helpful in that regard: elsmar.com/pdf_files/Registrar_C.pdf

normzone

Re auditors, it's very helpful if you can find one with some experience in your field or something similar. If you drill oil wells and the auditor comes from food service or vice versa, it will be a challenge.

As for psychopaths, just the usual advice for interviewing somebody. We all have our interview personae we use - I try to get the person to relax and let down their guard and let you see what they are genuinely like. If they are unwilling to step out of character after a while, they are generally going to be tightly wound, which may translate into difficult to deal with in the long run. Your mileage may vary.

Randy

Super Moderator
Take Sidney's advice, and if you interview me I may tell ya what you don't want to hear. Also the auditor you get 1st may not be the one you end up with in the long run, things change as do auditors

A

apinop

If you drill oil wells and the auditor comes from food service or vice versa, it will be a challenge.
Yes indeed. This is in fact a major concern for one of my partners, as he can't see how an auditor can determine whether we are "doing it right" in a very technical field that employs less than a thousand people worldwide. I am not so bothered as, except for the very fine details, I believe that a capable consultant should be perfectly able to follow through and ask the right questions.

With that said, I'll consider asking our industry regulator (who will audit us) for the name of their own auditors. That way at least there will be some common ground between all of us.

normzone

Take Sidney's advice, and if you interview me I may tell ya what you don't want to hear. Also the auditor you get 1st may not be the one you end up with in the long run, things change as do auditors
Well put, and in general if your QA guy does not periodically tell you something you don't like hearing then you're not getting your money's worth.

" If you drill oil wells and the auditor comes from food service or vice versa, it will be a challenge."

Yeah, I may have better phrased that as " MAY be a challenge". A good auditor will be able to set aside their own experiences in other fields while applying those lessons to your field.

There are generally equivalencies between the most complex and simplex operations - customers have fantasies, and your organization turns those into deliverables that you can charge money for. Everything in between is meeting customer requirements and being able to prove that you do so, and doing what is appropriate to sustain the relationship. :agree:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc Ford's newest SUV is B-I-G - Tentatively called "Everest" World News 0
Sidney Vianna OASIS database - deadline for setting up an administrator is fast approaching AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
Stijloor REACH Regulatory Deadlines Approaching - Prepare Your Company RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 5
I Turtle maps and Flowcharts - How is everyone approaching Turtle maps and flowcharts? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 16
E Nissan Audit Approaching Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
A Documents of External Origin - Approaching & Satisfying this Requirement? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 17
K USB VID/PID certification Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
L IATF 16949 certification costs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J How much to charge for helping a startup company with initial ISO 13485 certification? Consultants and Consulting 3
R Medical Device Software Certification IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
R China Quality Certification Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
S Requirements to obtain ISO 50001 Certification ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
N Any experience with Registrars that deny Certification to a Registrant? Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
P ISO Class 8 particle count (annual certification vs monitoring) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T ISO/IEC 17065 certification scheme Help Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
T Help to Suggest name for a new certification and inspection company Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
J Hitrust Certification (HIPPA etc.) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
T Letter to file for Product Certification CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
P ISO 13485:2016 MDSAP Certification Fee Survey ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
O ANATEL certification of Medical Device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
M What happens to certifications if the issuing certification body loses accreditation? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
R Regulatory Affairs Certification (RAC) prep - Practice test versus actual exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 0
K Regulatory Affairs Certification (RAC) Exam - November 2020 preparation Professional Certifications and Degrees 0
B Advantages of a corporate certification scheme IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
N Harmonized Standards for MDR Certification EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M Quality management certification required by Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
hockeyhead Existing process never included in AS9100 scope of certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
R FCC certification (contract manufacturer) TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 1
M OEM asking for NC report after certification audit. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A 21 CFR part 11 - section 11.100 - Electronic Signature Certification Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
I Management review in conformity assessment standards - Certification Bodies Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
M Customers Request AS9100 certification - Small Company (less than 20 employees) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
T AMS2570E certification equipment questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
S RA (Regulatory Affairs) certification & Online Internship Professional Certifications and Degrees 11
B Directory of Largest Global Certification Bodies (Accredited) ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 3
M CE self-certification for Class I device (face mask) EU Medical Device Regulations 9
D API 6A Certification Question Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
K Restricted Scope of ISO 13485 Certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
michellemmm What is the Cost of six sigma certification? Six Sigma 5
L "IATF-Compliant" IATF 16949:2016 certification? What does this mean? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
V Iso13485 certification vs CE technical audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Watchcat Duration of MDD Certification EU Medical Device Regulations 4
DuncanGibbons FAA's Building Block approach to certification Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
J Product Service after CE Certification expiration CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
G USAS ISO 9001 Certification, online is it worth it? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
W Certification for IATF Lead Auditor will expire in 2020 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Using your Manufacturer's ISO certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Define voltage and frequency to perform tests 61010-1 and 61326-1 for CE certification CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
Nicole Desouza ISO / AS Certification - Small business with less than 100 employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Sidney Vianna IATF 16949 News Presentations from the latest IATF Stakeholder Event - Expectation that IATF 16949 certification should equate with product quality. Misguided? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7