Terminology Purchasing

Milas

Involved In Discussions
Hi

This may be the wrong forum, but I am looking for some enlightenment to some of the terms used by our sourcing. I would be grateful if someone can provide a definition for the below terms or point me in the right direction

consumables
Direct Procurement
Indirect Procurement
Off-the-shelf
Ship to Stock
Dock to stock

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
consumables - Items that are not on the bill of materials but are consumed during the process (e.g., adhesives, cutting fluid, etc.)
Direct Procurement - purchasing materials, goods, or services that are directly incorporated into a final product
Indirect Procurement - sourcing of goods/services not related to manufacturing to maintain operations
Off-the-shelf - The supplier makes this as a standard product not from your company's design (like buying aspirin off the shelf)
Ship to Stock - Two potential interpretations: 1) same as dock to stock; 2) supplier directly stocks material at the point of use
Dock to stock - Received and placed in stock without receiving inspection

Milas

Involved In Discussions
Thank you

Follow up question

Should indirect material and consumables need some sort of approval before being used to produce medical devices ?

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
Thank you

Follow up question

Should indirect material and consumables need some sort of approval before being used to produce medical devices ?
It depends on the class of medical device and how good your cleaning method is.

Safe answer is yes especially for consumables if there is product contact with the material... as an example from my experience, we're making a screw caddy for holding orthopedic screws during sterilization. We changed the cutting lubricant used in the milling machine. All of our customers required revalidation that there was no residual from the fluid after cleaning. The cutting fluid was not approved until this validation was done. We were showing that our cleaning process was effective for the new lubricant.

But if there is no product contact you may not have to.

For indirect materials that do not impact the product, probably not.

Give us some examples of indirect material and consumables you are using and we can probably answer more clearly.

Top Bottom