Terminology - SPI (Standard Practice Instructions) vs. WI (Work Instuctions)

T

Trina

Terminology - SPI -vs- WI

My company is looking to standarized some terminology at our various sites. Currently we are using SPI (Standard Practice Instructions) or WI (Work Instuctions), which would be better to use and why? I like to make things simple and go for WI, but was looking for other input. :bigwave:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Trina,

Welcome to the Cove!

I've been down that road before myself. My answer is whatever works for you and your company is fine, at least from an ISO 9001 standpoint. Call them "schrumps" if you want, so long as everyone understands that definition. FWIW, I defined my "level 3" docs that encompass what are commonly referred to as SOP's, WI's, process instructions, SPI's, etc. as "quality procedures". They define HOW to perform some process or process step. My QM defines each level of documentation in my QMS and I define what each level is called and give examples along with the definition. If you do the same it really is up to you and your co-workers what you want to call them and what is easiest for you. I hope this helped. If not write back.

A

avigeva

Trina,
It will also help if you use the same names in your Quality Manual, in the documentation hierarchy, and for the document itself. No metter what name you use but, keep consistency.
Avi

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T The “use-by“ time limit - Terminology discrepancy - MEDDEV & HS EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Calibration or Verification? What terminology to use ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M Informational IMDRF proposed document – IMDRF terminologies for categorized Adverse Event Reporting (AER): terms, terminology structure and codes (Edition 4) – Anne Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Q Changing Terminology in ISO 9001:2015 - Documentation Content ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M "Single Patient Use" Terminology Confusion Other Medical Device Related Standards 9
N Visual Inspection, Terminology for Process (Tin Soldiering?) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
R Terminology for referring to a product that has an approved Technical File EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Process Audit Plan Terminology Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 5
Y Terminology - Business Processes vs. Support Processes vs. Management Processes Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 9
M The Statistical Meaning of "Muddy Middle" - Statistics Terminology Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
A Delivery Terminology - When is a product considered "Delivered" AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
E Understanding terminology for FAI (First Article Inspection) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
SteveK Medical Device Servicing ? What Terminology? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Business Terminology and Quality Manual Terminology ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
G Using the terminology EN/AS9100 vs. AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
K Terminology - Device History Records equivalent in ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
P 'Product and Services' terminology Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 8
R Process Terminology - The trainer used the term "Work Instruction" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
G Terminology to Use when Indicating Project Status Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 10
K First Piece vs. First Article - QC Inspection Terminology Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 24
C "CIF #" - 8D problem solving worksheet terminology Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
Geoff Cotton Wire manufacturing industry - Common terminology Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
xfngrs "LEAD AUDITOR" terminology - 3rd Party Auditors can't make up their minds General Auditing Discussions 19
JodiB Corrective Action System - Controls Terminology Nonconformance and Corrective Action 21
J Continual Improvement vs. Continuous Improvement - Terminology Semantics ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
O Terminology...and costs....and Other ISO 9000 Registration Questions Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 9
T Definition Policy vs. Procedure - Vocabulary / Terminology - Definition of Policy vs. Procedure Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 5
T Registered or Certified - What is the proper terminology? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 17
A Use of Terminology - Difference between NC, deficiency, punch lists, etc. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
L Is QS-9000 T/E Supplement appropriate terminology? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 7
C Supplier Performance Index (Spi) - Supplier Rating Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 10
P Portable Surface Roughness Tester Calibration Question (SPI model 14-514-4) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Mitutoyo or SPI Bore Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
Marc Software Process Improvement - Statistics on Software Process Improvement (SPI) Software Quality Assurance 0
G Copy of withdrawn ISO 9001:1994 Quality Management Standard ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Anonymous16-2 SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Numbering Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
Ed Panek Compliance with Standards? When a standard is updated/revised CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
Skooma Deburring and Tolerances - Is there a Standard for deburring or removing material? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
B Purchasing AS9100D Standard in Japanese AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
O In addition to the standard, what other ISO 13485 sources do people recommend? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
B ASTM E18-2020 - Rockwell testing standard changes? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Informational RoHS Standard - EN 63000:2018 to replace EN 50581:2012 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 11
M IEC 60601-1 1988 - Device developed in 2012 with standard of 1988 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
D Recent changes to ISO 14971 - SOP required for managing standard revisions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P Cenelec updated standard information CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
S Is there a standard for sample size during R&D phase Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 18
J Standard used to determine if check fixture gauge is acceptable Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
N Program or application for standard time measurement in industry from video surveillance? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 1
I Where can I beg, steal (just kidding of course) or borrow good training material on the ISO 9001:2015 standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
K Question on whether IEC 60601-2-62 standard is applied IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4